how big is yours

charles

Fellow Frogger
hi guys,just a thought,i have a customer with a 505 sli 1986 wagon,unleaded that has done approx 420k ,the engines never been touched,i can vouch for this as i have serviced the car through three owners and have the service books.as a survey,whats the biggest km we can find for a pug thats never been touched.maybe pegeot should send a letter like when you turn 100 years old.cheers stu.

charles said:
hi guys,just a thought,i have a customer with a 505 sli 1986 wagon,unleaded that has done approx 420k ,the engines never been touched,i can vouch for this as i have serviced the car through three owners and have the service books.as a survey,whats the biggest km we can find for a pug thats never been touched.maybe pegeot should send a letter like when you turn 100 years old.cheers stu.

Not close I dont suspect but my 94 405 SRDT will clock up 400 000 on the weekend, I will attempt to remember to photograph it and post it on Monday.

Secondly I am getting a little concerned by this forum, 1stly George 1/8th is complaining of a short dipstick and now Charles want's to know how big yours is. Perhaps we should get it filtered
:D :D

My Familiale, 1982 model 504, has covered better than 900,000kms, though it's not fair to consider that it's hardly been touched.

The gearbox was sold off after being replaced by a BA7/5, otherwise I don't know if it was ever serviced. The differential was replaced with a whole new one shortly before we got it at 560,000kms. The previous owner was fastidious about mechanical ills and never took any chances that he might be stuck on one of his business trips all over Queensland.

The engine... yes, the engine... the head did approximately 700,000kms or a little more before a valve head fell off. It's on its third replacement set of liners and pistons, the last set because of that valve head. The crankshaft was replaced rather than ground at that time.

So the only bits of the engine still original are the block and bearing caps, and some of the bolts.

But I can vouch for the front crossmember being original in its entirety...

My mate's 1974 504 automatic did about 600,000kms on the first engine without being touched, before it started blowing smoke.

Another bloke I know has about 500,000km on his 1974 504TI and it hasn't been touched and is still running great. He has had it since new and has always looked after it.

Ross Berghofer in the NSW Pug club did about 500,000km in his 1974 504 before it got written off in a smash and went to Africa (he also had it since new).

David Cavanagh in Victoria had a customer with a 504 automatic which did over 1,000,000km wihtout being touched and then it also was written off.

I guess it all comes down to regular oil, oil filter and air filter changes and keeping the cooling system in good order (something which all the above cars have in common). I know of some 504s which have had worn out engines as early as 250,000km. Anecdotally atleast, this quick wear seems to happen more often on later engines with foam air filters than the earlier ones with oil bath filters.

Dave

Last edited:
whoa i thought 420 k was good,theres hope yet for more km.unfortunatly i dont see the newer style of pug engine going the distance.the alloy blocks are a worry already.peugeot want 2000.00 for a empty 205 gti block,by the time you rebuld it,its more than cars worth going on current prices.