How big is the 205 exhaust stock?

two-oh-philic

Fellow Frogger
What is the size of the GTi exhaust b4 the cat?
I'm considering getting the smaller end chopped off and replaced with bigger cat and exhaust. Anyone know how much this is?

<small>[ 14 September 2003, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: two-oh-philic ]</small>

The 205 GTI exhaust before the cat actually has a splitter inside down the middle to give the equivalent of an header style system, as the cast manifold finishes in two semi-circular castings. Leave this piece of pipe alone, but by all means put in a better cat. The rest of the system is double skinned if original. If the motor is standard minimal gains are made with a bigger system, just a lighter wallet and bit more noise and resonance.

Sounds like you own one.Get under and have a look. From memory, outside diameter approx 2 1/2".

Sorry I missed the point about cost. Call around, about $250.

Yeah i went somewhere today. He said $280 for 2 1/4" from the cat and about $200 for a "high-flo" cat. I asked him about chopping the ends off the cat and he reckoned it would make no diff and be too cumbersome. I don't know if this guy is dodgy or not.

Can anyone tell me if this will be worth while. What kind of gain (hate to be such a "boy racer" type) would i expect if any. I've been hearing conflicting opinions.

On a standard engine your not going to get much gain at all. You will get a bit more noise but thats about it.

I'd put the money towards getting a mild cam. Its not until you start doing a few mods that you need to up the size and quality of the exhaust.

Darren