Historic Leyburn Sprints - review *Now with Pics*

Brad

Fellow Frogger
I spent the weekend up at Leyburn with Cal, Chipper and a non-froggie mate to spectate in the Leyburn sprints. Leyburn's about 2 1/2 hours west of Brisbane and was very dry and dusty due to the lack of rain, but quite mild with about 0 deg over night.

There was some prety special machinery there amoungst the 180 entries, notably a genuine GT40 (worth over $1,000,000!!!), genuine Ford RS200 ex rally car with over 600hp, the new Skelta prototype by Ray Vandersee along with his hugely sucessful S2000 engined Clubman, red HSV 427 Monaro which was raced at the Bathurst 24 hour and the first 911 RS ever made.

On the froggie front, there was only a single 404 Peugeot entered.

Socially, we all had a blinder as neither Cal or I had to drive :cheers:. I took about 100 photos and a few movies which I'll work on getting up in the next few days. This will be an event which I dare say we'll get to more often.

Last edited:
Brad said:
I spent the weekend up at Leyburn with Cal, Chipper and a non-froggie mate to spectate in the Leyburn sprints. Leyburn's about 2 1/2 hours west of Brisbane and was very dry and dusty due to the lack of rain, but quite mild with about 0 deg over night.

There was some prety special machinery there amoungst the 180 entries, notably a genuine GT40 (worth over $1,000,000!!!), genuine Ford RS200 ex rally car with over 600hp, the new Skelta prototype by Ray Vandersee along with his hugely sucessful S2000 engined Clubman, red HSV 427 Monaro which was raced at the Bathurst 24 hour and the first 911 RS ever made.

On the froggie front, there was only a single 404 Peugeot entered.

Socially, we all had a blinder as neither Cal or I had to drive :cheers:. I took about 100 photos and a few movies which I'll work on getting up in the next few days. This will be an event which I dare say we'll get to more often.

Ahhh bugger, missed it by "that much".... you guys enjoy your single life, it all changes once married.. and children :eek:

Did Ray have the prototype finished? saw a bit of a story on TV about a week ago and they were still shaping the mould for fibreglass, probably was old footage though. Look forward to your pics Brad.. and yes if I start planning now maybe, just maybe I'll make it next year :cry:

Cheers
Chris

Married Life Not so bad.

GreenBlood said:
Ahhh bugger, missed it by "that much".... you guys enjoy your single life, it all changes once married.. and children :eek:

Did Ray have the prototype finished? saw a bit of a story on TV about a week ago and they were still shaping the mould for fibreglass, probably was old footage though. Look forward to your pics Brad.. and yes if I start planning now maybe, just maybe I'll make it next year :cry:

Cheers
Chris
Hi Greenblood,
Married life and cars don't generally mix. U just have to organize a day/weekend pass for such events and leave a few weeks in between events so the other half forgets you actually went out for a day or two. It's also a good idea to do a few good deeds for brownie points along the way. The gals love it when you do nice things for them :D
I made it to Leyburn this year after trying for the last 8 to get there. Various kid things over the years stopped me. Was an excellent day. The GT40 is one awesome machine and for its age still very fast.
I'd give a leg for a drive in the RS200....wow what a car.
We will have to organize some ausfrog entrants for next year....may-be an R8G or R17G as it is an historic event. (may-be even an R10S lookalike..who'd know) :dance: :afplak: :renplak:
Chris (the other one :roflmao: )

Top photos Bradley! i am loving Ray's latest project, it looks off the hook.

Ps. I pinched some of your images, and posted them up on another forum to show off the event :cheers:

Well done again mate.

Koppers.

Sweet!

Great pics - What a line up, I had no idea there would get such awesome machinery there. I will have to try to get out there next year.

how did that silver NSX go? someone sent me a link to some carsales website that showed it - apparently was modified with twin turbochargers and prepared for Targa Tasmania, not sure how it went.

billy

Where you been Ray? Haven't seen you on here for ages.

Cal.

Digging up the past, I know, but I'm guessing some would know the cost of entering the Leyburn Sprints? JR mentioned it was out of this world but I'd like to know how out of this world. Cheers.

Rich

'05 Leyburn Raid??

Is it too early to ask if anyone plans on going out to Leyburn this year, either just to spectate or perhaps compete??

Chris

Leyburn is on 20/21st August this year. I expect I will be going, but probably only for the Sunday, unless of course I bring my BMW out to play. I remember some years ago the price being $120 to enter, about $20 a run.

You can camp almost anywhere, and there are council showers and toilets.
I did wake up on the Sunday morning with ice on my face, after sleeping out under the stars. It looked like I got severely sunburnt, frostbite more like it. I think it hit -4 overnight that year.

Food is cheap enough and the company is great,, with an excellent array of interesting machinery.

I'll be going for sure again this year and expect Cal and Neil to be there too. BTW it's a fella's only event so don't bring the mrs... unless they are really into cars :cheers:

Ray,
Last year, went out there with Alan Moore and it was the first year I have actually been, and I was amazed by how the whole town gets together and runs the weekend. Certainly was plenty of cars.
Chris

Yeah, I was mildly involved with the thing early on... as it did start to draw attention to the 50th anniversary of the 1949 Australian Grand Prix having been held up the road at the air force base.

The 50th anniversary unfortunately coincided with the first race meeting at Queensland Raceway that had Group N cars running, and as the majority of the people in the HRCC of Qld were Group N people they dropped the ball big time.

The planned festivities they'd been looking forward to for three years were abandoned!

I convinced them they had to do something, so we had a dinner on the Friday night and went out on the Saturday, drove around the old circuit and planted a plaque on a big lump of rock near the start/finish line.

Brad said:
I'll be going for sure again this year and expect Cal and Neil to be there too

Can't decide if I want to enter or get pissed like last year :)

Cal.