Help! Xsara VTS electric window stuck

DJ-Studd

Fellow Frogger
:cry:

The passenger window on my Xsara is stuck in the fully open position. When attempting to close it, the motor makes what sounds like a grinding noise.

Heeeelp!

-- DJ

That sounds a bit terminal.

CX and BX window motors have the unfortunate habit of snapping off the shaft that runs from the motor to the gearbox which gives the same sound. For some reason, the CX in particular always seems to stuff the passengers side front too.
You could be lucky and the nuts holding it into position may have just come loose; I was that lucky....once, but regardless, the door liner will have to come off.
As a suggestion for a temporary fix, try getting someone to apply upwards pressure whilst another hits the button in the "up" direction. That sometimes will mesh it together long enough for you to have some time to organise the fix.

Alan S

you can go gett a new window regulator cause that one is stuffed.

or

pull of the door trim and put some timber under the glass and that will atleast make your car safe and the window in an up position.

Thanks Alan, I'll try removing the door liner during my lunch break. Let's hope it can be easily fixed - it's painful driving with the window fully down when it's 10 degrees outside!

Ta,
-- DJ

DJ-Studd said:
Oh.... no..... I think it's going to start bucketing down :cry:

Anyone know any good french carpet cleaners?

-- DJ

Got anything like a tarp to cover the car in the meantime?

Troy.

TroyO said:
Got anything like a tarp to cover the car in the meantime?

Troy.

I *think* that this Officeworks plastic bag is holding it off... Ah well. This reminds me of travelling home in the back seat of the 604 when I was a little tacker, with a broken window motor at some insane our of the morning with the wind and water pelting even through the pillow I held up to the window.

I'm sure I'll be laughing once it's fixed :joker:
-- DJ

An easy option is a large garbage bag/wheelie bin liner and just pull it right over the door top As though you were trying to put the door in it, and shut the door on it.

Alan S

*phew*

It's all sorted out. Took it around to Elliot (www.frenchgarage.com.au) who was kind enough to look at it for me (on no notice).

Popped it open and had a look - the belt/wire had come off in a bloody mess. The window is propped shut with a piece of wood, and a replacement belt/wire will come in the next day or so.

Good stuff, now I can drive without cooking from the heater!

-- DJ

Some vague help...

I've had a few snags with the old Vts electrics. In most cases you just keep restarting it of a morning and hope that the problems of the night before have gone away. A couple of times i've had to go for option B...you know what that is. Is the car under warranty?. I guess not, or you wouldn't be asking the question. The biggest buggar for putting the pixies amongst the VTS wiring seems to be cold(same for recent model Peugeots). I'm currently waiting for the sensor activated lighting to kick back in on my VTS. Three days now!(any ideas?).

regards,
K.M.

p.s. have a look at the fusebox - just in case. Probably not though judging by the engines wheezing

Last edited: