Help with Koni shock advice

Renault17

Fellow Frogger
Hey guys,

I have been trawling the web and have come across some koni shocks at reasonable prices. I need to find out some more about them though.Details are as follows;

82 1723 Front Koni Shock R12, R12TS 71-79 $60.50

80 1778 Front Koni Shock R16, R16TS 65-79 $59.95

80 1779 Rear Koni Shock R16, R16TS 65-79 $39.95

I was wondering if the R16 shocks could be made to fit my r17, or (as my R17 already has new shocks and reset springs) made to fit the fuego?

Things that may stuff this theory up include;

the shocks are a different 'working' length- if it's too long it can be shortened but probably not what that shock was ever designed to do...

being valved for different weight cars, different handling dynamics etc etc

Anyway, I am still fuming after missing a set of brand new (adjustable) koni shocks for the fuego on e-bay- they went for $130 US- dead I have tried the Koni agents in NZ (George Stock) and they faxed Holland only to be told that those shocks are a discontinued line no longer available...I was already pushing my luck with the missus as I had bought a piston and liner set that week....

Cheers Ben

ps.The other thought was to measure the extended and compressed length of the strut, and try to match that and the ends to something off the shelf at a shock shop.
Then for example if I know that it is similar to a late model Jap car that often is rallied- i.e a Toyota Levin- I could look out for some used konis and get them reco'd or perhaps some adjustable coilovers........ head_ban Of course this would be assuming that I had done the calcs correctly and got the spring, damping rates right...

I have Konis front and rear on one of my 17's so I will check and give you the "model" numbers.
I will be able to post the info. in about a week.
The Konis with Gordini rims and the right tyres transform the 17 from good to unbelievable IMO.

R16 front shocks are nothing like an R17 front. Fuego rears are within a few mm in dimensions to the R 17 rears. I would suggest R16 rears as being too long. It may be possible if changing the front shocks to an adjustable height coilover arrangement to utilise either R18 or Fuego front shocks suitably modified.
The koni catalog (which I don't have)gives dimensions of all the shocks. Maybe monroe do the same.