Help with HP increases in 2.0 Fuego engine

phil martin

Tadpole
Hi guys, have an open wheeler running a 2.0 fuego engine and am seeking HP increases without increase in capacity (under 2 litre class) car has lightened flywheel, mild cam and two sidedraft dellortos. Rev limited to 7000 which it seems happy doing as car only weighs a bit over 400kg. Can i get HI comp pistons somewhere? Please all and any ideas welcome. I do have an injection system sitting around from a Pug I think. Regards Phil

Bigger inlet valves will do wonders relatively cheaply

Custom pistons in OZ https://www.gallowayengines.com.au/custom-pistons
Had one made for my diesel stationary engine
Or best when I researched years ago was Wossner in UK who do Renault pistons
2l Turbo forged piston for eye watering $1100 each PISTON << click but they also do custom

Open wheeler with Fug motor, oh goodie you better share some pics of this chariot!

Assuming you have the 2L pushrod engine? FYI this was shared with the Peugeot 505, and I think late 504's if that helps with random google searching for bits.

Bigger inlet valves will do wonders relatively cheaply
In my experience that's not cheap.

Unless there is an off-the-shelf valve that works for length, groove type, groove position, and stem diameter, you're up for custom valves at approx. $80 each.

Then the standard valve seats have to be large enough to accept the larger diameter valve. Otherwise, you're up for new seats.

Cheap horsepower in my experience is a quality 3 angle grind and minor porting into the throat, in addition to an increase in compression. This is easily and cheaply done with a thinner copper head gasket. Most race engines have a short life so corrosion from dissimilar metals isn't an issue. Easily obtainable thicknesses are 0.7, 1.0 and 1.2mm.

Assuming you have the 2L pushrod engine? FYI this was shared with the Peugeot 505, and I think late 504's if that helps with random google searching for bits.
You mean 2 litre OHC. Was used in 505s in both 2 litre and 2.2 version (only 2.2 in Australia), never in 504.

oh yes! sorry for the sh1t post confusing everyone! :S

R25 pistons were domed so slightly higher comp.

What you really need is a 12 valve head from from a 21 or 25 TXi - euro market model only ;)

Or swap it out for a Clio Sport 2 litre engine.

Clio Not possible as car is rear engined, engine forward of gearbox/transaxle and drive shafts. Clio east west

Clio Not possible as car is rear engined, engine forward of gearbox/transaxle and drive shafts. Clio east west
Obviously will require some work to mount it lengthways and probably an adapter to mate it to your gearbox - but it’s way more grunt out of the box as it were.

But if you want to keep the Fuego engine and I’m assuming forced induction not an option, get onto a UK forum and see if you can find a TXi 12 valve head and manifolds.

Otherwise it’s the usual - efi (Renault 21/25 or Peugeot inlet manifold), all the usual porting and balancing, and a stand-alone ECU with a good tuner on a dyno.

There was a Fuego on display at a French car Day -(Frankston Vic owner), who had fitted a supercharger to the standard Fuego motor and it was he said a delight to drive and smoke off all the would be hoon challengers around Frankston. I probably have a photo of the engine bay layout. Twas quite a few years ago.

Here's another option for you instead of pistons that for me worked out much cheaper....

I built a 2.2 Peugeot 505 engine (same as fuego engine, just more capacity), and to get the compression up I used the standard pistons but machined the block in two places:
- the top of the block lowered 4mm
- the recesses where the liners sit bored 4mm deeper

This increased the compression ratio, and uses stock pistons and liners, so spares are easy to get. There is plenty of meat in the block at both locations.

I also had to make up an adjustable cam pulley, as the change in distance from the crank to cam meant that the timing was put out, but the tensioner was easily able to handle the extra slack.

Coupled with a hot cam and some basic head work, that engine is a real screamer.

Hi Demannu, stock engine is about 109hp in the old money, any idea what you are getting horsepower wise?
Cheers Phil

Here's another option for you instead of pistons that for me worked out much cheaper....

I built a 2.2 Peugeot 505 engine (same as fuego engine, just more capacity), and to get the compression up I used the standard pistons but machined the block in two places:

This increased the compression ratio, and uses stock pistons and liners, so spares are easy to get. There is plenty of meat in the block at both locations.

I also had to make up an adjustable cam pulley, as the change in distance from the crank to cam meant that the timing was put out, but the tensioner was easily able to handle the extra slack.

Coupled with a hot cam and some basic head work, that engine is a real screamer.
4mm? what is the compression ratio?

Do they actually make them? Or just source them from the usual suspects?

SPS in Melbourne for example, do make them.
Not sure only that I got one for a vintage Farrymann Diesel to a drawing I had

wasn,t the 2.2 about 6mm taller in block to allow for longer stroke.crankshaft a lot bigger as well in mains and big ends.did you use standard 2.2conrods?…jim

Hi Demannu, stock engine is about 109hp in the old money, any idea what you are getting horsepower wise?
Cheers Phil
Never measured it. But it pulled fantastically for a 2.2. The car it was in is no more, but the engine is still sitting in my shed, waiting for another project.