Help. Where to start Mi16 build?

I'm using a Constella works copy baffle on that engine now as it is used for gravel rallying where cornering forces aren't as high. The dry sump pump is very prone to getting stones in the drive belt. This incorporates a windage tray so I would think would release some power. Certainly a previous engine with baffle revved better than any engine I had previously.

QUOTE=racing405;1522215]Peter's comment about oil surge is surely true. I spun one set of bearings at Phillip Island and then put a dry sump on my '16. The sump unlocked between 5 and 8kw, which was surprising. That makes it expensive horse power but cheap security. The 306 I'm putting together now will have a dry sump, Pace in the UK do a kit but have been terrible to deal with lately.[/QUOTE]

Re pistons, the first set of pistons I ordered for my engine were from PPM (Pure Performance Motorsport). They charged more than they originally quoted, claimed the pistons were in stock but actually took months to arrive, very poor communication and, when the pistons finally did arrive, the spec was not what they had advertised (much higher compression and different pin) so we had to start again. I don't recommend them.

The second set were organised through Pug1Off. They provided exactly what they promised, when they promised.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]EW10J4 ???? From what I have read is there are fewer tuning parts, and options.A different engine mount and clearance issues with the radiator..[/FONT]

I seem to find different information.

A 2000 Peugeot 306 XT will have an XU10j4R ? Even an automatic sedan?
And would be a good purchase, in lieu of finding an RS variant.

Last edited:
Differences between r and rs engines:
RS
2.5 mm taller block and longer rods
Lighter valve train, smaller stems
Bigger cam journals
Oil squirters in block under pistons for piston cooling.

In factory form rs must be a slightly better engine to spank, but when building highly modified, not really much difference. Oil squirters the only thing I went looking for and why I started with XU10J4RS.

Thanks. What I am trying to figure out is if I will get similar results. And reliability

As I'm one for sharing. Pug1Off have been good saying

The R engine is ok as long as you bore the block .001’ over the recommended setting. The extra thou of wall clearance allows for a bit more expansion of the piston without the cooling effect of the oil below. Many race engines will have these blocked to reduce drag anyhow.

Also saying the head has a 0.5mm larger inlet valve and a slightly smaller exhaust valve which is actually beneficial so the only thing youd really need to do, from memory, is swap the valve guides to gti6.

That engine doesn’t have sequential ignition but I don’t find any power advantage to using it anyhow.

CatCams 4903110 there is a single spring option

Thanks again gents.

I have in my possession a running XU10J4R from a 2001 Pug 306.

@PeterT what would be the suggested approach on cams for this engine, regrind or Cat cams single spring cam as above?

The XU10J4R cams are too small to regrind any worthwhile profile. You'll need to buy new Catcam billets and springs. Expensive. Thus why I suggested staying with an XU9J4 or XU10J4 head, which you can still put on the XU10J4R block.

Thanks PeterT. Somehow I didn't see your response. Anyway, I'm going to make the XU10J4R work, as it was the best priced option I could get hold of - the Catcams and springs don't seem very expensive.

How much am I affected by the rod length?

Any tips on the following combination?
You will have to excuse if I haven't taken in all advice, I've read it - probably just not understood.

Do these Cams get me anywhere near the Gti-6 head reground cams?

Wossner Pistons 86x86 - preferred classes dictate 2L
PEC Rod Set
King Race Big End Bearings, and all new Bearings
CatCams 4903110 Camshafts and Catcams Single Valve Springs for XU10J4R, CatCams Retainers
Vernier Pulleys
Adjustable FPR
412cc Injectors
4-2-1 Manifold
Satchel short intake and EFI hardware ITB - as suggested
Baffled sump - trying to keep the engine bay and ancillaries neat

Valves, are Inlet/Exhaust from Catcams worth it on this engine?

Will be run by a Motec

Cheers

Last edited:
Surely you can use 86.50 pistons? Otherwise the bore won't clean up. Most classes allow a few percentage tolereance. Use a 3 bar fixed fuel reg, which fits in the end of the EFI Hardware fuel rail. You will need an accumulator, eg Moroso or Accusump. I wouldn't change valves unless yours are damaged.

I'm using a Constella sump baffle(from the UK) on my gravel 309 rally car with XU9 J4. This is a works copy, although they also used an extended sump (steel). I have used the original 309 GTi sump which is steel. Also, the engine has solid lifters with a restrictor so less oil up in the cam cover at high revs. Has been fine so far, did a 400 km stage distance rally in early June and am not expecting any problem in the future on gravel.
However, more in line with what you are planning,I have entered the all bitumen Adelaide Rally in December so may install a large oil pressure light for this so as to keep a close eye on what is happening! Will be using RE002s not slicks and won't be going absolutely flat around known corners as on a race track. so hopefully it will be OK

Thanks guys. Taking note of the oil warnings. Probably the time and money to make the wet sump stronger ends up a chunk of what it will take to dry sump. Makes for one very exxy engine build.

Sent from my Pixel using aussiefrogs mobile app

If you're running batch injection at 3bar, check the injectors are big enough. Injection time at 9000 rpm is very short.

Yes, that's ok for petrol and sequential injection but on the limit for multipoint. You'll need 25-30% bigger for E85.

Thanks again. Am I better off buying injectors from EFI Hardware to match their ITB kits? The EFI ones range from 440 - 550cc.

Also confirming going with 86.5

Heated screen is also on order to simplify the engine bay, and dash area :)

Yes, that way you'll get the correct height injector and fittings.

Hi. Almost a year since the last response, but the engine is going together and the engine builder is wondering.

We are seeing 12.9cr from the XU10J4R on test assembly using a 1mm headgasket. Is there a suggested limit on CR for running 98 ron on these? Should we be going for a 1.3mm headgasket to bring it closer to 12.5cr? Or do we build it as-is and run a better fuel mixture?

Cheers.

Can you confirm which cams? I can't find 4903110 listed on the Catcams website.