Help Needed / Should i buy this 207 GTi?

Dan Theman

Tadpole
Tadpole
Need some help.

Interested in my first 207 GTi and have a couple of questions :

1) the car drives fine for 15-20 minutes and then becomes rough and shaky. Seller says it is the injectors. Does this sound right?

2) seller says it has a stage 1 tune but cannot produce a reciept or say where it was done. Is there a way to check?

3) it has a pod filter but can you run a BOV vent-to-atmosphere without upsetting the tune or setting off a check engine light

4) anything else i should look out for?

Thanks.

First - get an OBD code reading. Find out what's wrong now, not after.

Is the factory filter housing still there? It holds a very large filter. The air intake is originally just an open tube.

I haven't found a problem with the factory valve on my Cit with the same engine.

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure about the housing.

The engine bay pic i have seems too big to attach but looks like it is a pod with no housing

That's not an ideal reference. The car there is being fixed by replacement.

There are many threads for the EP6DT engine fitted to a number of hot small cars, and a few larger ones.

The filter box is probably present, but with no filter.

If in doubt don't buy, there will be better buy next week :thanks:

We had 2 x 207GTIs and another 3 cars with the 1.6L THP including a current 208 GTI 30th Anniv Edition and 308 GTI 270.

The engine is a great balance of performance/efficiency and certainly has some weaknesses but so do just about all if your scour the web forums for that make/model. Good news is its been around long enough in the Peugeot, Citroen and Mini communities that everything is well understood and upgrades/fixes readily available and well documented. The 207 GTI itself is quite a heavy car for its size but handles pretty well stock. Front seats and the level of standard features at the price make it attractive compared to other hatches of the same ilk.

Key is maintenance so critique the owner that first and foremost - ask to see records, who they used, what brand and weights of oils they used etc. Given quality oils and Purflux filters are cheap we've always done an extra mid service interval oil and filter change with inlet flush and had no real problems. Timing chains and tensioners were weak in the early models but that was pretty well fixed by 2010. We did have to replace a high pressure fuel pump on one at 160,000kms but they're not nearly as expensive or hard to do as most make out.

As to your questions:-

1. Could be a multiude of things - you didn't mention how many kms its done but suspect carbon build up on valves, hpfp on the way out or even plugs/coils at end of life (the engine does seem hard on plugs). A code scanner would be beneficial

2. No real way to check map with the software tools and skill. We had 1 with and 1 without a stage 1 remap. There was a difference but it wasn't massive so I wouldn't stress about it

3. Pod filter and BOV are independent so not sure what the question is here. Neither should throw codes if they are quality items and fitted correctly. Beyond the sound there is little to be gained from a pod filter - plenty of internet tests to validate this.

4. Beyond comments above the post 2009 models (discernable by the facelifted front end) had the improved timing chain tensioner design and are more desirable. Regardless by now most, if not all, will have been fitted with a new chain and tensioner anyway and then its set for life. Was about $1000 exercise from memory.

Finally as driven pointed out there's plenty of fish in the sea. If this one doesn't work out there will be others so be ready and willing to walk away if it isn't all you want or there's something you're uncomfortable with. Don't forget the Citroen DS3 Sport is basically the same car in slightly different clothing and worth considering if you can't find a 207.

Last edited: