Head gasket for '85 16TRS

tlampre

Fellow Frogger
I'm safely back from Adelaide. Didn't get caught up in any fires on the way over yesterday but nearly got lost in the smoke near Stawell. The car went great with a new 'octopus' courtesy of David at FC.

Now I need to to tend to my oil leak before it gets any worse. While at Supercheap I had a quick squiz at the Monotorque catalogue for a head gasket. Citroens weren't even listed. :nownow:

According to my research, the 16TRS has the XU5S Pug engine as used in the 305. So, I should be able to get a gasket kit & head bolts for one of these and I'll have everything I need, right?

Regards,
Trevor

BE VERY CAREFULL ABOUT THAT ASSUMPTION!!!!!!

Although citroen, and peugeot share many power units the XU, and TU come instantly to mind, they are seldom IDENTICAL.
Head bolts shouldn't be a problem, the valve stem sealswill also be ok and usually the head gasket itself will be the same. However, the inlet, and exhaust ports are often a slightly different shape, and thus those gaskets will fit on the studs, but won't actually seal. As an example of this, my ZX 1.9i volcane has an XU9 engine virtually the same as found on a 205GTi. However, my cylinder head uses square inlet ports, whereas the pug, and infact most other XU engines use round ones. The studs are the same, but as you will gather, you can't seal a square hole with a round gasket!

What I'm saying, is satisfy yourself that the top end kit you buy, will do the job you want it to. If the supplier has it in stock, look at them carefully.
john s

Thanks for the heads-up, knew it couldn't be that easy... I think I'll shop for stuff labelled specifically for my car just to be safe.