Having fun with your road car.

Bowie

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I think this place needs a single thread where we can all rev each other up so to say with our collective exploits. So why not this place. Allow me to go first.
I've gone and properly ruined the family car. Well that's not exactly true but a few things needed correcting.

The centre bearing was trash, and the gearbox was leaking out of most of the seals. So in speaking to the mechanic since most of it needed to come out, we came to an arrangement with another gearbox. This one has this fancy lever that presses on hydraulic fluid which in then activates upto 5 levers! All with one lever, Amazing :p
But I tell you, you thought a Reno 12 gearbox was a sloopfest, introducing the VT-VY Commodore!

manuale.jpg

It’s a Getrag 260, used in some BMW’s and Merc I believe, and in all accounts it’s ok until you start doing burnouts and sliding around chopping car parks. But holy heck in the Commodore application, it really is a freeking wooden spoon in Nana’s old soup. It is attached to the gearbox with a rubber space / boot thingy, and the selector arm underneath is a plastic with a rubber push, even when brand new these things must have felt like junk. In gear at the moment, there is about 40mm of sideways movement. Totally bizarre.

I reckon I can rid the rubber mount and make it aout of Alumunium, and then there are a bunch of peeps make “short shifter” kits that pretty much get rid of the slop, $80 and mine should be here next week. I’ll take a video comparing the two so you also can be WTF’d with the amount of play in these things.

But anyway! I have now a RWD car with a 5sp box, ~200hp with a harness and seat to fix. Sh1t’s gonna be fun :D AND BETTER YET! I can still take myself to work in it.

There is a Peugeot club day at METEC soonish, I hope to see some of you out there then I say we start talking about entering a 6hr, Sydney or Philip Island 😊

What have you been doing with your daily race car?

(and I really wish I could go back and edit that thread for spelling, #doh)

But anyway! I have now a RWD car with a 5sp box, fun :D AND BETTER YET! I can still take myself to work
That's at least two of us living the dream.🤣
My shifter is a bit wobbly too.😉

Resized_20220826_171600.jpeg

The white walls in that thing look great :D

So when is this getting a small supercharger?

The white walls in that thing look great :D

So when is this getting a small supercharger?
Yeah I'm not sure what I'm doing with it yet.
I have a couple of AMR500s in the shed which would be ideally sized as the they are original fitment on a 1L Nissan March.
I still haven't discounted an EV conversion yet, however when fuel dropped back to $1.40 I lost my sense of urgency.😉

What have you been doing with your daily race car?
Drive it every day actually, we have those great countdown lights at every second corner
Freeway entry is the best, where you line up against one for two cars

Drive it every day actually, we have those great countdown lights at every second corner
Freeway entry is the best, where you line up against one for two cars
My Berlingo might be slow, but years of competing at Willowbank enabled me to out 60 foot a Tesla 3 at the local traffic lights.
Snooze you lose.😉🤣

+1 with those freeway entry ramps. Nothing starts the day better then in my case, blasting away a school bus or a delivery van.

Hehehehe. You should get a small hatch, bowie. I am already eyeing Toyota's lineup. You know, Yaris/Echo/Prius that kinda thing. Okay, the Prius is not as small, but boy it would be fun to get one of those to handle and then race everybody.

My Berlingo might be slow, but years of competing at Willowbank enabled me to out 60 foot a Tesla 3 at the local traffic lights.
Snooze you lose.😉🤣
He was actually texting Elon to find out how to put his Tesla into "Ludicrous Mode"