Handling: 405 Mi16 vs Pulsar N14 SSS

I've been overseas while this discussion has been taking place. I have spent a lot of time driving both cars hard, as I own a S1 Mi16 and my mum had an N14 SSS for years. There is no doubt the Pug is the better handling car. When it comes to straight line grunt however, the SSS would eat it. I would rather own the Mi16 (otherwise I would have bought mum's car when she sold it), but the SSS is a good thing.

Cheers,

Cal.

Cal:
When it comes to straight line grunt however, the SSS would eat it.
Cheers,

Cal.
Mmm. I wonder. A Nissan SSS fans site that I ran into comes up with a claimed 0-100 figure for the n14 model of 9.2secs. (The N15 was slightly quicker at 8.9) see <a href="http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~dstrebil/niSSSan/pulsar-specs.html" target="_blank">http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~dstrebil/niSSSan/pulsar-specs.html</a>

The review of the 1989 405 M16 in the "downloads" section here at <a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/articles/mi16/pages/6_405mi16f_jpg.htm" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/articles/mi16/pages/6_405mi16f_jpg.htm</a> comes up with a figure for the Peugeot of, you guessed it!

9.2 secs.

Can't get much closer than that!

Japanese cars often feel faster than they really are.

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 20 August 2003, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>

Maybe. I've never driven the two back to back. It could just be the way the SSS delivers it's power. Which has more torque?

Cal.

The Peugeot has a tad more torque and a tad more hp. The Nissan has tad less weight. The Pug has a higher top speed. My guess would that differences in the lower gear ratios might also explain apparent acceleration differences.

Cheers

Rod

That could very well be the case. I have never really driven the Nissan at very high speed. Most of the time driving it hard was in 2nd or 3rd. I just felt very strong through the gears to say 120km\h. Certainly stronger than my Pug. What happens after that, I could not comment on. Both very willing engines, without a doubt.

I used to find the SSS to be a little twitchy under brakes and on entry to tight bends. The 405 will tighten line nicely with a sharp lift on the throttle. Sometimes even oversteer, but always in a more than predictable manner. The Nissan had less feel and communication through the seat, pedal and the wheel. If the tail started to come around, it always felt unnerving. I caught me out once and I spun. I don't believe I have ever come close to spinning the Pug. The outright grip of the Peugeot is also way higher. That said my Mi16 is set up on Koni's and Eibach springs with sticky rubber. The Pulsar was stock.

Cheers,

Cal.

Errrr dudes... the argument about power is untrue, from what I have found.

Mi-16: 108 kw @ 6500rpm and 174 Nm @ 5000rpm

SSS: 105 @ 6400rpm and 178 Nm @ 4800rpm

Also with the weight... Pug = 1160kg, SSS = 1170kg so they are very similar.

But Pugs are nicer wink

Windex

That supports my recollection of an Autocar test in which straight line speed was very similar. But when the twisty bits came along.............

Ive had the plesure of dueling with two SSS pulsars, one with just Breathing mods and semi-tyres at Oran park.
Some would know my S16 is pretty quick here, i can do consistent 54/55's on the short track, but this SSS jus left me, slowly taking me down the straight and pulling out of the corners much better, but i had him always under brakes and into and mid corner.
The second is my mates who with NO mods except good pads and fluid, and on the same AZENIS tyres as me does consistent 1:18's, im just in the 1:17's so for a near stock car, they are quick machines.
Jus thought id share that, I think the 405 out does (a SSS) it as a everyday car, but only just.-chris

Not that I am questioning your ability behind the wheel, but the driver always has a lot to do with times.

Regardless of whether the SSS's are equal to the Pugs on the track, it's more than just times which make a car. Attitude, finess, quirkyness and the feel....you know, it's Mabo tongue

Brad,
If you are referring to Chris's driving ability, I have seen him drive his car on the asolute limit (and beyond it). He does have plenty of experience at different tracks and it shows.
I think his S16 isnt at its peak at the moment though.

The only thing with Pulsars I never thought they had 105kw in Oz. I thought that the 105kw was the Jap spec version. They are nice mid range performance car that has a very Jap feel to it. Vague gbox, vague steering feel etc. I was a tad dissapointed in the feel of the car for a "sports model". (2000 model I think it was the N15?)

btw. Chris can you verify you have my stopwatch in your car?

WindeX:
Errrr dudes... the argument about power is untrue, from what I have found.

Mi-16: 108 kw @ 6500rpm and 174 Nm @ 5000rpm
SSS: 105 @ 6400rpm and 178 Nm @ 4800rpm
Also with the weight... Pug = 1160kg, SSS = 1170kg so they are very similar.

Windex
Depends on the year you choose, it appears, Windex.

When I was looking at the figures I was trying to compare "like with like" and used figures for the 1994 model of each vehicle.

A 1994 Peugeot 405 M16 comes out at:

112KW
193 nM
1180 Kilos

the 1994 SSS its:

105 KW
179nM
1141 kilos.

(The above figures are from the Drive website, so they may not, of course, be accurate)

Cheers

Rod

Rod Hagen:
(The above figures are from the Drive website, so they may not, of course, be accurate)
Seen their latest comparo of sub 64k prestige sedans. By limiting it to sedans, they knocked out the Laguna & C5 - personally I thought it was silly limiting it to sedans, I don't see any reason why the C5 & Laguna should have been excluded because they are hatches.

But, they still forgot the 406 V6!!!

Isn't France on their automotive map!

I swear motoring journ's have it in for French cars. :confused: cry

tekkie:
Brad,
If you are referring to Chris's driving ability, I have seen him drive his car on the asolute limit (and beyond it). He does have plenty of experience at different tracks and it shows.
I think his S16 isnt at its peak at the moment though.

btw. Chris can you verify you have my stopwatch in your car?
Like i said as a overal car the Mi16 wins, but only just. They have very similar specs in terms of equipment and overall package, but as we have noted you paid more for the pug than the Jap car.
Most SSS's seem here in sydney to be holding on well over time. But so are the Mi-16's and ive seen poor riced examples of both.
--chris

btw - tekkie thanks for the vote of confidence Tekkie, Oran park is mi fav track coz you need to look after your tyres there and i love the short course. Spesh the dog=leg up and over, get it right and you can take it up right and down the straight so fast. Love it!... ill go over my tool box's for your stopwatch and the car.

Yeah the S1 Mi16 are much cheaper though, usaly for an OK example of a 1991 SSS you will be paying about $9,000, but that is the Aus spec SSS it doesnt have power windows or any other power options.
For the price I think that S1 Mi16 are looking to be an awesome buy.

As for motoring journs having it out for french cars, I dont know but most of the sories I hear about Pugs, are bad ones. That being said the people who have these dogs seem to keep going back to them for some reason, so I assume that something must be good about them.

WindeX

That being said the people who have these dogs seem to keep going back to them for some reason, so I assume that something must be good about them.
You'll probably find that they love the cars.

I complain constantly about my car to my friends, but if they bag it then "Whack" They are in for it. They usually shut up after the reminder of power windows, and 4 wheel disc's on a car 10 years older than their's. evil

People have a nasty habit of remembering bad things about cars they either have little knowledge of or dont want to make their car look bad.

BTW have you ever sat in the front seats of the Mi16 compared to the SSS??? From my experience the Mi16's seats are just wonderful compared.......... wink

Jono

I totally agree. The SSS's are so inferious in their appointments it's discusting that these two cars are compared.

"inferious"!

Love it. That's one of the words that ought to exist even if it hasn't in the past.

Cheers

Rod