Hail damaged C5 potential write off

Fuel consumption might suffer - at highway speeds anyway. You'd think the highway patrol would use it so they are less visible when lurking on the side of the road :)

Its a personal decision. Pre 2005 C5s, whilst being very nice cars, are probably not going to fetch much more than $4,000.
In effect, you are probably getting "market value" even if undamaged. The 2004 may eventually be prone to expensive gearbox problems (if auto).

(Having owned a 2002, 2004 and now a 2005) I'd take the money and go for a 2005+ model, even if with high kms.
I bought mine (2.2HDI) with about 240,000kms for very few dollars. Fab car and the 2.2HDI motor is a joy.

If you are unconcerned with later resale value of the car, then it is less critical, but I'd say it is a good opportunity to upgrade.

Sad but true, you can throw money at the damaged car and it will always be a damaged car. . . here's a couple that probably won't fetch much more than current bids, one with the 6 speed box.

2007 Citroen C5 Hdi Turbo Diesel Sports Automatic Sedan, 153,682 km Auction (0001-3412126) | GraysOnline Australia

2005 Citroen C5 FWD Sports Automatic Hatchback, 160,199 km indicated Auction (0002-7701927) | GraysOnline Australia

Cheers
Chris

A little bit of positive progress.

I chatted with GIO today to assert my ownership of the vehicle.
The outcomes were;

Policy value is $6,900. ($900 more than I thought.)

Rear window to be replaced prior to assessment. This gives driving flexibility to my son and his gf. Can't be done until March 15, so he has my car for the moment.

Age excess of $400 refunded. Thanks David S for the clear headed pointer. Sorry about the bruise!

Assessment will not result in confiscation of car at the inspection point. If it is a write off it will be economic not statutory but it will still be listed somewhere but the man at the end of the phone couldn't clarify exactly what that would mean. I didn't tell him it has Vic registration. They will not "nearly" write the car off.

Whether to attempt a DIY repair is on my mind. If I fail badly, then I have only spent $200 on pullers/kits etc.(thanks Col) And my time of course. The car could then be scrapped or auctioned? without loosing much cash if I'm not happy with the result. (Thanks for the links Chris, the black one looks good but the auction ends before I will be ready to buy - a good indication of where to look and what to expect.)

So I'm feeling a bit happier that it will all be OK.
Thanks for all the helpful responses. Your collected thoughts and experience help make more informed decisions. I'll let you know future developments around the middle of March.

I bought a course of Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) on a set of DVDs many years ago. I also looked into the purchase of tools for such (from Qld?). I didn't proceed with PDR,

Some time later I had one tiny dent, less than a 5c coin, removed from the rear boot lid of my 2CV. by a professional PDR operator. I was present whilst he did it. It was a difficult job due to the very thin metal panel of a 2CV and the fact that the metal was dead flat, although accessibility was perfect and the boot lid could be removed in 10 seconds. I came to the conclusion that it was not nearly as easy as it first appears. A hail damaged car would certainly give you plenty of practice.

Perhaps after removing the dents on the C5, you could junk the car (or trade it in) and get a ute and go into the PDR business. With all the hail damage this year, there is work for many.

It will be interesting what price the two C5's bring at their respective auctions. Both look the part. One day when I don't need a Xantia hatchback....

John

Thanks for the heads up John. I don't think it will be easy and I sort of put a caveat on my skills with the "time" and "not happy with the result" comments.

With the hail, was there rain as well? In the big storm we had here in Perth a number of years ago it took out the back window of a Toyota we had filling the back of the car with glass and then proceeded to soak the carpet/rear seat with rain. The car stank within a short time.
Ended up a write off.

I'd get it cleaned and dried out if it's at all wet...

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris,
Yes lots of rain too.
I'll get my son to remove the carpets and dry them.
Seats are leather so they will have repelled some water, I hope.
Car is in underground car park so some drying will have taken place. You're right, mildew is not a good look - or smell!
We're onto it.

I've been considering what to do with the C5. It's getting a new rear window in just over a week. So it will be able to be driven short term.
I went to my local (Victorian) RWC inspector today and had a chat. He told me that as a repairable write off it would need a RWC. He wouldn't give a RWC with any hail pock marks on the turret between the A,B and C pillars. So that, I think, means the car will be scrapped.

I could of course NOT make a claim and keep driving the car but that creates the twin perils of
1. not having any insurance
2. being given a Defect Notice and fine/demerit points for driving an unregistered vehicle.

Over a barrel springs to mind.

So why proceed with the new rear window? I am surprised that the insurance company is prepared to honour that part of your policy when the rest of the car is in imminent danger of being written off!

Cheers

Alec

interesting! hail damage on the turret makes it unroadworthy. i wouldnt have thought that made other than cosmetic difference.

I've been considering what to do with the C5. It's getting a new rear window in just over a week. So it will be able to be driven short term.
I went to my local (Victorian) RWC inspector today and had a chat. He told me that as a repairable write off it would need a RWC. He wouldn't give a RWC with any hail pock marks on the turret between the A,B and C pillars. So that, I think, means the car will be scrapped.

I could of course NOT make a claim and keep driving the car but that creates the twin perils of
1. not having any insurance
2. being given a Defect Notice and fine/demerit points for driving an unregistered vehicle.

Over a barrel springs to mind.

I'd ring Vic Roads and check that statement. If it is unroadworthy due to a broken/ cracked screen, fair enough.

However minor dents, in no way related to the turret structural components, seems to be "gilding the lily" more than somewhat.

In fact total BS springs to mind.

Hmm, I'd be surprised if the sort of damage you're describing makes it unroadworthy. Got any pics?

It gets harder!
A check of VicRoads talks about cosmetic damage being OK, ie not regarded as interfering with the safety cell. Car must pass RWC.
But if the car is on an interstate WOVR it HAS to go through a more rigorous inspection and the damage MUST be repaired. Car is Vic regd but in NSW.

Alec, the car is not safe to drive without a rear screen. The insurance has specific glass cover (no claim) and they won't/can't write it off until the car is driven to an assessment location.

Classic Catch-22! Fortunately, as you say, no cost to you :)!

Alec, the car is not safe to drive without a rear screen. The insurance has specific glass cover (no claim) and they won't/can't write it off until the car is driven to an assessment location.

personally i would just drive it there, if that is what is required, though i realise than is a pragmatic response and not necessary a legal one.
why do you say it isnt safe to drive without a rear screen?

why do you say it isnt safe to drive without a rear screen?
The arrangement is that the insurance co will give a time and location. Sydney weather next week looks rubbish,
with rain.
Not the ideal conditions for a P plater to experience open top motoring.