Gum in Floor Mat

Dr. 306

Fellow Frogger
What's the best way people have found to clean gum out of a floor mat?

Is there a way to get it out with out doing any damage?

Also why can't people use bins?

Does the old trick of placing an ice cube on the stuff to make it go hard nd brittle then scraping it off still apply?

the ice never works when you try it while the gum is still "fresh"... it needs to be dry and it'll chip out easier.. :D

one of my drunken friends left some lovely patches of gum on my seat once.. i left it to go dry for a week or so, and it jst scraped off after that pretty easy... though it was definitely easier becuase of the leather seats...

There's a product called Goo Remover you can get at the supermarket. It's a citrus based product which works well at removing Goo (ie, gum). Otherwise, Merguiars Citrus based trim and cloth cleaner works well.

Or, you could just squeeze and orange or lemon directly on it. But I prefer to use the products...

The citrus based goo remover (it smells like oranges :D ) which you can buy in the cleaning section of Woolies/Coles works a treat to get the remnants off.

Put the mat in the freezer if you can (hope you've got a big one) for a few hours. As soon as you take it out, use a knife to scrape off as much of the hard crusty gum off as you can... then use some goo remover (can't remember the name of the stuff, but it comes in a clear plastic bottle and has pictures of oranges and lemons on it) to get off the remnants that'll be stuck in the carpet fibres.

Derek :cool:

phwwoooooooooooah! Lincoln beat me by 2 minutes... I took too long to write my reply. Maybe I could just... edit his post ;) Good stuff that, see! 2 of us suggesting it :D

Derek :tongue:

Thanks for your responses. I had the freezer part worked out, but I think i'll be stopping to get one of the products that you've recommended.

Cheers. :)

Ha haaa! This reminds me of the Simpsons episode when Lisa got gum in her hair.....

We italians use olive oil!!!

GTI124 said:
There's a product called Goo Remover you can get at the supermarket. It's a citrus based product which works well at removing Goo (ie, gum). Otherwise, Merguiars Citrus based trim and cloth cleaner works well.

Or, you could just squeeze and orange or lemon directly on it. But I prefer to use the products...
I'm sure you do, because the Goo Remover is made by Big Kev, gives you that "I'm excited" feeling :D It does work pretty well though.

One thing I've found, don't use it on transparent plastic - it makes it go cloudy.

Lighter fluid, aka "Shellite", also works, and is good to have around for lots of things - like removing rego sticker residue!

Pug307 said:
I'm sure you do, because the Goo Remover is made by Big Kev, gives you that "I'm excited" feeling :D It does work pretty well though.

One thing I've found, don't use it on transparent plastic - it makes it go cloudy.
The one I'm recommending isn't the Big Kev one, it's the same as Derek's suggestion. It's made by someone else. I haven't tried Big Kev's

Pug307 said:
Ahh. Who makes this one? I'll try it next time.
Dunno it's a Johnson's Baby Oil sized bottle, it's clear and has an carton Orange on the front.

I'll send u up some de-grease!

Derek... cool foto dude, Fonzie can retire now.

Hey Luca you grease-monkey you. I bet you shower with de-greaser :question:
Glad you like the photo. I took it myself with an outstretched arm whilst riding on the top of an open-topped bus :D

Derek :cool:

XTC206 said:
Good ol' Aussie Eucalyptus oil ... and makes the car small nice :)

- XTC206 -

Plus it's cheaper than the goo-remover stuff. It's a great solvent for rubber based things (I used to use chloroform at work - now THAT really works FAST - but it's sorta dangerous so not used much now).

Luan