gti motor into si. will it fit easily

anesti

Tadpole
Djvue has a 91 series 3 gti motor and box 4 sale. I want to put it in my 92 205 SI (not gti). Is this a straight fit and does it need any other work, such as new loom , ECU etc.

I had a read but there is only Peter Ts comment about using a short engine. The rest of the time they debate the sence in doing it. I have a low km Si 205 and i want more power out of it. There is an engine going cheap so I was just thinking is it easily done?

I had a read but there is only Peter Ts comment about using a short engine. The rest of the time they debate the sence in doing it. I have a low km Si 205 and i want more power out of it. There is an engine going cheap so I was just thinking is it easily done?

Only thing wrong with the Si is lack of torque so yes a good conversion.
Unless you want to rewire the whole front part of the car you will need to leave the Si ECU in place, just cut and tape up the leads you don't need.
Add the DKZ ECU and ignition, most leads just go between this and the engine so not hard to join it into the Si wiring system.
Alternatively you could simply use the Si manifold and management complete as it is, the question is how well will the Si management cope with the extra 300cc?
Graham

I have a series 1 out of my 89' Gti if you would like it. Working. Was literally just about to post it in the F/S section until i saw this thread. Had planned to reco her to UK spec.
$150 if you want it.

You can run a Gti with a SI box though yes?

But I'm in vic & no loom though sorry.

food for thought

CHeers

Great now I just have to find someone to do the job, if anybody is interested in taking it on let me know.Ill only break it.

Great now I just have to find someone to do the job, if anybody is interested in taking it on let me know.Ill only break it.

Wouldn't be worth it to pay someone, would cost too much by the time they figured out the wiring.
Graham

Rip everything out and make it super light. Really short box and got to the track. Probably more fun and money better spent. Or take the head off, skim, fit a thin gasket, talk to someone about a cam and that will probably be a nicer motor than the S3. They are pretty un involving engines to drive. If you do go the S3 route, do a little work to it while its out to get a little more life out of it. Worth it if your going to bother transplanting it.

My Opinion anyway

Cam

I hope you have a decent wallet. Engine conversions are never easy. Do your research and try it yourself.

Chris

I hope you have a decent wallet. Engine conversions are never easy. Do your research and try it yourself.

Chris

I have a Pierre Cardin wallet, shame there is little in it. I would like to do the job right and do it once. The car deserves it as its in fabulouse condition. Dito to doing the research, I couldnt tackle it myself though as i dont have the knowhow, tools , garage or time.

I have a Pierre Cardin wallet, shame there is little in it. I would like to do the job right and do it once. The car deserves it as its in fabulouse condition. Dito to doing the research, I couldnt tackle it myself though as i dont have the knowhow, tools , garage or time.

Keep the car standard then, if it is that good condtion the engine should go well enough, just ones like my road car with a tired engine that need a transplant.
Graham

Keep the car standard then, if it is that good condtion the engine should go well enough, just ones like my road car with a tired engine that need a transplant.
Graham

I could do that as well, you see ive rebadged it as a 1.3 Rallye, Ive also powder coated berlingo rims white and put advan yoko semi slicks on it. So it looks the part with the rallye decals. I just wish it had more go to match the peugeot sport decals.

I think the rallye has less power than you have but were lighter. That was there 'thing'. As said before. To keep it close to original, just tweak the current motor to a higher spec. Not too much power for the chassis..

Cam

I think the rallye has less power than you have but were lighter. That was there 'thing'. As said before. To keep it close to original, just tweak the current motor to a higher spec. Not too much power for the chassis..

Cam

the rallye had twin webbers right. Is that a possibility with the 1.6 si engine and would it give the gains i desire. I can buy original ones from ebay.

maybe thats the go.

Cam

Th Si has 90 hp the Rallye 105 but that was the proper Rallye with twin sidedraft carbies, the UK 1.4 is probably about the same as the XU5M.
You could put a GTi inlet manifold and fuel system on, still need to change the ECU and would need to run a dissy (although you could proably leave the Marelli ECU running the ignition while the GTi one runs the fuel) but at least you would save time and mony on the mechanical transfer.
Just noticed the carbies post, yes that would be a lot simpler, just leave the original ECU to run the ignition.
You would proably need a better cam but could leave that for later on.
Graham

Original Rallye carbs were for the 1.3 TU engine and fitted behind the engine, carbs may possibly work on a 1.6 XU but manifold definitely wont. Plenty of Weber set ups for XU engines available in the UK.
Graham

Haha. Thats a great idea I think! Something different and with a few other mods will work really nice I believe. You will need a manifold etc but that wont be too hard to come by. WIth the engine you have those Ks you should be able to take the head off and give it a touch up, more compression, and a cam and it should be sweet.

I dont think the rallyes had webers but think than ran a carb of some sort. TU engine..

Like this one!

Attachments

• 205 gti moteur.jpg
    205 gti moteur.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 7,345
Haha. Thats a great idea I think! Something different and with a few other mods will work really nice I believe. You will need a manifold etc but that wont be too hard to come by. WIth the engine you have those Ks you should be able to take the head off and give it a touch up, more compression, and a cam and it should be sweet.

I dont think the rallyes had webers but think than ran a carb of some sort. TU engine..

Like this one!

That's an XU, Cam.
The proper Rallyes had twin sidedrafts but these only came in LHD.
The UK ones just had a 1.4 with single carby. There was one of these for sale recently on Ebay, immaculate yellow, had a few bids
The German ones had a 1.9 but DFZ
Graham

Yes I think carbies is the go. Ill get on the uk sight and have a read. Thanks guys.