GTI 180 gearbox swap for standard GTI

blu180

Fellow Frogger
I'm not familiar with the gear boxes in 206's but was considering swapping my 180 box for a normal GTI box.

The first gear in the 180 is way too high and long, making it slow off the mark. Although the normal GTI had an annoying short 1st gear, the ratio would turn a 180 into a 'rocket'. (If the clutch stands up to the pressure)

My other option is to change the ratio in my 180 box... has anyone come across aftermarket gears?

I luv the long 1st gear in the 180.

People have tried to have a go at the lights and it makes me laugh when they need to change gear. It's at that point that the 180 blasts past, leaving them in your wake. 1st is really usable, it's not just a gear to get moving from standstill. You can be at 30kph and still drop down into 1st with no complaints from the sincros and roar up to 65 b4 changing - how cool is that! The gearboxs are exactly the same except for first and the 180 has a lower final drive. It you really wanted to do it I would have thought swapping cogs would be the easier and cheaper way to do it.

:cheers:

Last edited:
I like the idea of drop'n back to 1st at 40 and flooring it, but it's the loss of balls off the mark that makes me want to change the ratio. The ideal situation would be a ratio some where in between the two.

I'm not good on this topic but whould you have to consider the ecu to make a change like this. or can you just swap a hole gearbox.

The long 1st gear is great for punching out of hairpins, tight right-angle turns etc. But if you really want to remove the 180's purpose of being a hot hatch that belongs on winding roads and try and turn it to a traffic light dragger where it's never really going to excel anyway, then the following applies:

No need to change ECU settings. No need to swap gearbox. Just swap over to the gti's 1st gear.

I have limited knowledge when it comes to 206's, but if you were going to replace the gearbox with anything, and you were going to spend the amount of money it would cost to buy a gearbox out of a standard 206 GTI. Wouldn't you spend a similar amount and replace it with a 6 speed from a GTI6, from what i have heard the 206 is crying out for a 6th gear and although it would reduce your turning circle I could see it as a good option in a 206 especially a 180.

Last edited:
I LUVVVVVVVVVvv racing with long gear ratios.....its the best when u wind out 1st and 2nd gear and ur opponent has already shifted 3-4 times :)

But a long first makes it damn hard to get off the line...u either bog or wheelspin...that said when dragging i have kept up with off the line an beaten a N/A 5spd Supra and Gen5 Prelude but this was with wheelspin.

Instead of changing your gearbox have u considered getting sum grippeir tyres such as Azenis RT or sumthing similar? These will allow u to do 5000rpm+ launches and instead of wheelspining you will be in that sweet spot of torque and power. Make sure the tyres are not TOO grippy however as u will then bog down....get tyres that will break a lil bit of traction but will hook up quickly too.

I found the Toyo St1 to be pretty good actually

Hmm... Interesting I didn’t realize it was too large for the 206. But I have heard of it being done to 205's and 405's so i had thought that it would fit the 206 :confused:

jester_fu said:
That's a good theory... but the GTi6 box is physically to large to fit in the 206GTi or GTi180. The 6 speed alternatives for the 206 all involve prices around $15k+.. and as i pointed out previously, are rally based modifications.

The first 206 fitted with a Virtuel kit had a GTi6 box fitted (with the GTi donk), and in the article they said it 'slipped right in.' They used a 206 HDi as a pallet, does it have the same floor pan as a GTI?

If it wont fit its nothing an angle grinder and an oxy torch wont fix :)
I think if u want to impove ur 1/4 mile times just change the final drive ratio....to make it quicker off the line.

jester_fu said:
That's a good theory... but the GTi6 box is physically to large to fit in the 206GTi or GTi180. The 6 speed alternatives for the 206 all involve prices around $15k+.. and as i pointed out previously, are rally based modifications.

Although on a very long trip the 180 would be more economical with a 6th gear and some lower revs, it's really not needed. My long distance round trips, driving +15km/h above posted limits, but not doing any traffic light racing, get's me about 7.4L/100 in the 180. I've had figures as low as 6.2L/100 on my GTi over a 700km one way trip. I'd be interested to see how that compares to the figures from a GTi6 if anyone has some!! Another thing to note is where peak torque is in the 180. To me, it makes the most sense on a long trip to drive in your torque band, and that way it's easier to maintain a constant speed. The current gearbox sits you on about 110km/h at about 3800RPM... which is not far shy of the peak torque value. I think it's 3800 for 110... i'll check on my way home for lunch ;)

Yeah I've heard that as well, that they tried fitting a 6-speed intot he '180 but it wasn't feasible.

I don't get anywhere near those fuel consumption figures. Usual mix of city, some highway, and some short fun runs gives me about 650 km from a 60L tank..works out to be just over 9L/100 km. The best I've ever gotten from it during pure highway driving sitting on exactly 110 kph, and this is an estimate because I didn't use a whole tank, but around 400 km from half a tank, which works out around 7.5L/100.

The gti6's 6th gear is not an overdrive though. It's only slightly taller than the 180's 5th gear. Does anyone know the ratios and final drive of each car? From what I remember, the gti6 has a very low ratio 3rd and 4th gear.

Gti6 ratios are weird

1st and 2nd are very long...after that 3rd and 4th are pretty close. 6th gear isnt an overdrive...i put around town in 6th gear at 60kmph its great.

At 100kmph in 6th im at about 3000rpm.

Thanks for the data guys. I've chucked that info into a spreadsheet to convert the ratios into the car speed. Have attached the spreadsheet but changed the file extension to .doc (.xls files are not allowed as attachments), so you got to change it back to .xls to view it. Let me know if there any problems.

I used to drive around at 60 kph in 5th and found it pulled fine, but I found unless it's perfectly flat roads, keeping it in 4th needed the least throttle input and gave the best fuel economy.

Attachments

• geartospeed.doc
    51.5 KB · Views: 530
With the exception of the GTi6, the 206 ratios are basically the same as have been fitted to the 205 GTi since day one. The short 1st was fitted to the 1.6L GTi and the export 75kW 1.9L GTi (Aus.). The long 1st was fitted to the 90kW and 130hp 1.9L GTi's.

I'd say if you find 1st too long you've bought the wrong car.

I'm doing a bit of research into an aftermarket gear, making first around 3.2's... this give a good standing start, but have enough to stretch out first and down shift in courners.

I'll let you all know how I go and how much it will cost.

Hey just wondering what are the comparisions between the 180 and the clio sport.
And am i right by saying if you shorten the first gear then you whould reduce top speed, also meening the second gear is longer. I'm just trying to understand this, Can someone please explain or am i right,

Marc said:
Hey just wondering what are the comparisions between the 180 and the clio sport.
And am i right by saying if you shorten the first gear then you whould reduce top speed, also meening the second gear is longer. I'm just trying to understand this, Can someone please explain or am i right,

No you won't reduce your overall top speed (i.e approximately 230 kph) if you shorten 1st gear. The only ratios that are applicable to the overall top speed of the car are the last gear ratio (in the 180's case, it's 5th gear), your final drive ratio and your overall wheel diameter. Shortening any or all of these will reduce your overall top speed, but modifying your first four gear ratios won't make a difference except to the top speed in each gear i.e if you shorten 1st gear, you will reduce 1st gear's top speed from 70 kph to 50 kph for example.

jastanis said:
Thanks for the data guys. I've chucked that info into a spreadsheet to convert the ratios into the car speed. Have attached the spreadsheet but changed the file extension to .doc (.xls files are not allowed as attachments), so you got to change it back to .xls to view it. Let me know if there any problems.
That spreadsheet is great thanks for that Jude - did you make it up yourself or steal it from somewhere?

gti138 said:
That spreadsheet is great thanks for that Jude - did you make it up yourself or steal it from somewhere?

LOL ye who has little faith! I did it make it up myself but I've seen plenty of similar ones, and the formulas are all simple and easily available. I also borrowed the idea of just entering the wheel/tyre diameter/profile specs and using that data to convert into overall diameter from some other dude who had a little spreadsheet that did that part only.

Hey when do you want to grab the oil, I'm off to KI from Fri to Sun night! Can't wait!!