GPS speedo

keithm

Fellow Frogger
I know its not really a pug thing but has anyone had any experience with these . Are there any disadvantages with them

Definitely a French car thing as their are so woefully inaccurate.
I have used an old iphone in the DS for years , it is so much better then the wobbly needle.
Easy to read and I believe very accurate.

A good thing, you can order on line ,face color, text type about $250 gps accurate

as with anything probably best not to go with the cheapest

Based on my direct observation, the Smiths GPS speedo in my Gordini is totally accurate on country roads and in the city. The VDO unit in the Floride takes a little longer to pick up the signal when you first start up but is also totally accurate. The AIM race unit I have is extremely accurate and matches the electronic timing used at Phillip Island, Mt Panroama and Eastern Creek. I used it on the Lotus as a speedo when the cable gear broke on the gear drive.

The biggest advantage is that it removes errors caused by changing tyre diameters. Broken or worn cables and gears are now history. I am also able to get an accurate speed reading over 250 kph because tyre growth is no longer a factor. The GPS and Radar gun confirm our Hewland gearchart underestimated the amount of tyre growth at 270 kph.

Broken nylon drive in 1977 MGB gear box. Cost to remove box ,replace gear etc ,quoted @ up to $2, 400........Yeah right!
Highly accurate and same sized GPS unit from the net......$150. Easy to fit and happy as. Also had another smaller supplementary unit in former 505........... Just as well as original speedo over 10-15 kmph out @ 100-110.
Get on the net, look @ the options and go for it. You'll never regret it and who knows how much it may save you in the future?

Thanks for all your comments . Good to get opinions from people who have used them .
Keith

I use one in the Alpine and the 403. More important these days with revenue raisers everywhere and old world speedos especially MPH are not reliable or accurate enough.

I like the one bequeathed to me by DeeCee in the STI. It has a few glitches in tunnels and out in the backwoods but when it matters I feel confident about the speed shown. I've had the speed app on the iphone against it and they concur. Now I'm wanting a digi odometer cause the GTI just decided to remain on zero for a whole day's drive. How impertinent!