Going Rate for 505 GTI Series II 5sp? - Brisbane

adbell

Fellow Frogger
Hi,

I am planning on selling my silver 1986 505 GTI series II 5sp manual. It's done 209 000 kms, has been regularly serviced and still runs beautifully. I am the second owner and have enjoyed it for 10 years.

I still love the car but unfortunately need to rationalise our cars after buying a new and sadly non-frog car (Honda CR-V) for our growing family (twins arriving in 3 weeks time!)

The 505s body is excellent with no rust. It had a two-pack respray about three years ago and scrubs up very well. It had not been in any accident - just needed new paint as the silver had gone kind of dull. Very good tyres on original alloys. Has a cranking Alpine 3D CD player installed but also have the original cassette/radio.

Only issue I am aware of is the climate controlled air conditioning -which does not work very well. When it gets the regular serice next week, I'll check on the price of getting this fixed.

Does anyone have any views on a fair asking price? I'm thinking around $6900.

If you are interested in buying, please send me an email to ahdbell@optushome.com.au. I am based in Brisbane.

Regards
Adrian

peugeot_ 1986 505 GTI (sadly must go)
citroen_ 1995 Xantia

P.S I'm also looking at selling the Xantia in a few months, if I can convince someone to sell me a certain unusual Peugeot.

P.P.S If anyone else out there has always salivated about the prospect of owning a Citroen Maserati (SM) - now might be the time (check out <a href="http://www.carsales.com.au)" target="_blank">www.carsales.com.au)</a> - assuming that you've got $89K to spare!

adbell:

Does anyone have any views on a fair asking price? I'm thinking around $6900.
Sounds like a fair starting price, but don't be surprised if you have to wait a few months or possibly drop the price a bit to sell it, because there isn't much demand for these cars anymore, no matter how good the condition.

Dave

<a href="http://www.redbook.com.au/vehiclesearch/price.asp?key=PEUG86AB" target="_blank">Redbook's</a> (pessimistic) value for an 86 manual 505gti is

trade-in price $1,900 - $2,800
National average
private sale price $2,700 - $4,700
________
condo sale Pattaya

Last edited:
Hi Ray,

The unusual Peugeot is a 504 coupe. I've heard of one that is in unregistered, VGC and possibly for sale. The owner is just little hard to track down.

Basically, the 505 has served as my travel-to-work car and the younger Xantia as the family car. Unfortunately, 3 in the back (along with the associated paraphernalia) was going to be too cramped in the Citroen. We decided on a new Honda CR-V for the practical family car (my wife liked it a lot - lots of space etc).

To balance things out I've been yearning for my daily transport to swing to less practical, more fun. The ultimate would probably be a Citroen SM but that would be a lot over of my budget. After seeing that one in carsales.com.au for $89K, I'm kicking myself. I'm sure there was one a few years ago for around $30K.

So...I plan on selling the 505 first and then if I can secure the 504 coupe and get it back on the road, I'll get rid of the Xantia. I'll keep you posted :)

Adrian

I gather you live in Brisbane?

And that you're talking about 'daily transport' being a car that takes you from home to work?

I think an SM would be totally wasted doing that... and a 504 coupe too beautiful to risk every day like that... (not that I wouldn't do it that way myself!).

I'd certainly be nervous using an SM for this purpose. I guess if I could afford an SM, I would be able to afford to run at least 3 cars and keep it hermetically sealed except for special occasions.

I don't know about the coupe though. The mechanicals (apart from the PRV V6 engine), I understand to largely shared with the standard 504. So the real risk is primarily panel damage from an idiot driver.

If the coupe is in very good condition (rebuilt from the ground up about 5 years ago - I think only about 20000K since then), would you expect a lot of issues with reliability for daily transport?

Not mechanically, it is totally 504 of some kind (except the V6)... but the body bits are hard to get, and will get harder...

With the SM I wasn't talking about any nervousness... it's built as a superb open road car, not a town car.

Ray Bell:
but the body bits are hard to get, and will get harder...
Yeah they are very hard to get and expensive! Try $1500-$2000 just for a bonnet. Good cars, but they belong in glass cabinets.

I wish they had made alot more than the 30,000 or so, because then they might be realistic propositions to own. Atleast with 203 and 403 cabrios, etc, they share many panels with the sedans. The 505 would have looked alright as a coupe/cabrio, and atleast they would have shared panels with the sedan, but unfortunately they decided not to make them

Dave

and to think there was a bloke in Emu Plains back in the 80's that had 14 right rear 504 coupe guards and quite a few other body panels that no one thought they would be ever needed and went to the local tafe for panel beater practice
the 20 odd 404 wagon turrets went to sims
anyone here remember old Sno Kremer ?

pugrambo:

anyone here remember old Sno Kremer ?
Yeah. He wanted heaps for stuff that nobody wanted. He seemed to have lots of Euro market stuff which wasn't applicable to cars sold here. If he was decent he would have realised that those coupe panels were no use to anyone here and offered them to an overseas coupe/cabrio club or something. Those kind of people make me very angry. They're just in it for the money, and if they can't get what they want, then they chuck everything.

Dave

he used to get containers in without knowing what was in them
when he first started we used to go there and go through what he had and used to fill the wagon/ute/car up with whatever we could and as he was pretty new to it then add that to my fathers ability to haggle very well we ended up with a lot of gear very cheap
i was very upset to find that he ended up getting very expensive and he made enough out of it to basically throw things away
i remember he had boxex and boxes full of 203/403 plastic bits, complete clutch kits and other goodly gear
i always wondered where he ended up and what happened to whatever was left
i know he did throw a lot of stuff away and gave panels to the local TAFE
i am sure that overseas clubs would have paid a few dollars for pnels that they could have put to better use than a bunch of apprentices destroying 504 coupe guards
hell they could have used all the FIAT panels that FIAT sent to the crusher :D
the idea of someone getting container loads like that today of all discontinued stock now is pretty near impossible
just a damn shame