Glow plug removal hack

Prrrgo

VIP Paid Subscriber
Tadpole
Tadpole
G'day, all.
I thought I'd post this as a suggestion for anyone having to remove glow plugs,
I had to change the glowplugs on my 2006 VW Touareg with 220k kilometers.(I also have a 407 3.0 TDI Coupe - lovely keeper!)
The glow plugs were well and truly in there.
I chased down all the youtube clips and followed the WD40 soak for a few days path.
My initial efforts were by hand, with no joy until I busted the first one I was trying to get out.

Then I tried this on the rest, and it worked!
I used a Dewalt cordless impact driver - the one roof tradies use to screw down roofing iron, etc. Note it is not a drill.
Back and forth, lots of no movement until finally getting some movement, then voila!
Same result for all the remaining glow plugs. with back and forth (forward and reverse with the impact driver) total success without breaking any of them off at the head.
There's a kit you can buy cheaply on ebay if you do have a broken one, removal that way is a real pain though, and I just wish I'd tried this way on the one I broke by hand force.
The reason I think this doesn't break them is the clutch design of the impact driver.

Each one takes a bit of time back and forth, but all I'm sayng is it worked for me every time I tried it.
Good luck with the idea if you're in this situation.

Note in the pics the rest of the bits I used -10 mm long socket, extension bar, adaptor from hex to square drive.
1657787338818.png

Chemsearch Yield much better than WD40.
It is a professional product but very expensive but worth it