General discussion on selling prices

Prrrgo

VIP Paid Subscriber
Tadpole
Tadpole
G'day all.
Today I posted a for sale for a 205 GTi, but it had taken me quite some time to offer this car as I didn't want to either be greedy on price or under-market it..
If others are interested, I'd like to start a discussion on the thoughts in this community on what is a fair thing price-wise for such a vehicle?
Could you take a look at my ad in cars for sale:

For Sale 205GTi Club car​

Give it some thought, and respond here on your thoughts on what's a fair thing price-wise?? I think a discussion around this topic might be interesting.

Nobody's saying a word! Ok I'll chip in.

But I don't know who anyone can really have a discussion on prices aside from the obvious without it being mostly speculation.

The obvious thing is that asking prices are up, generally speaking, and prices published on auction results prove some people are paying big money for some cars. That has filtered down to normal stuff too; I am trying to buy my niece a used car. There isn't much stock out there for mainstream, safe bets under 10k like I saw in 2019. The popular makes and models, if it looks good and low-km, not a buggered 200-300,000km example, are selling within 24 hours, for good money.

But then I see a lot of Euro stuff just sitting there unsold at a cheap price, like it's 2019. Or maybe they are more expensive asking prices than before, just that everything else has gone up far more and I have forgotten how cheap French cars really were pre covid.

The 205 GTi seems to be one of those few French cars that has increased a lot in used value. Yours is cheap at face value, but then it has been modified. For the car colllectors, maybe yours is all too hard because it's not original and others might be wondering what's involved to restore it and is it worth it. For someone wanting a comp car ready to go, great. But how many are there of those?

This is mostly my opinion, which isn't saying much. But I have the same dilemma as you with my 605. If I decide to sell, what price do I put on it?

It just comes down to sticking a price on it and seeing what happens. I don't think yours is hugely over-priced; it seems a fair asking price to me. Good luck with the sale.

For some, like me, originality is a key issue. I remember a 504 Ti that was listed in Carsales in the last few years. Seemed to be in a good condition, but someone had installed a sunroof. Even if I had been prepared to go to Qld and buy it, the cost of having the sunroof removed would've been prohibitive. It 's the same when I see a 504 for sale with alloys. Some alloys are okay - but they are not original. This would annoy me so I'd have to find some steel ones.

Your car is running and capable of being road registered. As long as the body and interior are okay, and the running means running reliably and well, it looks like a good buy IMHO. If I didn't have too many cars already I would be interested. Good luck with the sale.

G'day all.
Today I posted a for sale for a 205 GTi, but it had taken me quite some time to offer this car as I didn't want to either be greedy on price or under-market it..
If others are interested, I'd like to start a discussion on the thoughts in this community on what is a fair thing price-wise for such a vehicle?
Could you take a look at my ad in cars for sale:

For Sale 205GTi Club car​

Give it some thought, and respond here on your thoughts on what's a fair thing price-wise?? I think a discussion around this topic might be interesting.

Thanks Sans Sagese for your reply, Also pugrambo, tho I don't understand your reply. It almost reads like a threat and you're a Moderator? Am I doing something wrong?

Back to the topic. I regard selling a car like this is a dilemma, and I'd like to hear what others think.

I've had lots of pleasure out of this car - it's cost me more to buy and run than the selling price - and I want it to go to someone who likewise will enjoy it. Clean ones are pulling big dollars, especially in the UK and Europe, and a rising tide lifts all boats.
As I said in the ad it is set up as a club competition car, and is on the H Plate register, but it's definitely not a concourse car. I don't believe I should push the price to the sky, nor do I want to end up stooged by someone who flips the car for a quick couple of grand.

Are there any other thoughts on this issue?

It's only that comments in the for sale section were disabled for a reason so i'll keep an eye on this in case it goes the same way
It's not a threat at all, it's more i'll sit back and watch everyone behave :)

This is such a difficult topic. Everyone wants a bargain? What is a bargain? Well, in my humble opinion, a bargain is what the buyer is prepared to pay for an item. It is a bit like asking what are the perfect tyres? Too many opinions.

When insuring my fully restored 404 recently, Shannon's asked, what agreed value was I looking at? Initially, the rep baulked at my figure. When explain what had been spent on the restoration, without including labour costs, we agreed to a figure which was 5K less then I wanted. My point is, market valve is not always an indicator of a cars worth. Especially with a classic.

The upper end figure in the image below, wouldn't even cover the cost of a complete gearbox and engine rebuild.

1648868467487.png

All the best in obtaining a fair price.

Dano

This is such a difficult topic. Everyone wants a bargain? What is a bargain? Well, in my humble opinion, a bargain is what the buyer is prepared to pay for an item. It is a bit like asking what are the perfect tyres? Too many opinions.

When insuring my fully restored 404 recently, Shannon's asked, what agreed value was I looking at? Initially, the rep baulked at my figure. When explain what had been spent on the restoration, without including labour costs, we agreed to a figure which was 5K less then I wanted. My point is, market valve is not always an indicator of a cars worth. Especially with a classic.

The upper end figure in the image below, wouldn't even cover the cost of a complete gearbox and engine rebuild.

View attachment 202728

All the best in obtaining a fair price.

Dano
Had the same issue with my insurer when Pugsley restored

They said „404‘s never go for that„ I pointed out that there were not many around which had had full bare metal restoration, tasteful period specific mechanical upgrades etc etc so their database was largely irrelevant. We eventually agreed on 25K, but this was with a vintage friendly insurer

It is a problem for cars which have value to small numbers of crazed old men - niche interest - database is contaminated with ones which are just being sold for scrap or to get rid of them, by people with no appreciation of them.

Andrew

The price advertised seems fair. It's too far from a road car to attract the ridiculous collector prices. But it's a great entry level motorsport car. So fairly niche but anyone interested in that will see the value. The diff alone has a certain value. Alternatively, it makes for a cheap entry into 205 GTI land if you don't mind a slightly rough modified one.

Had the same issue with my insurer when Pugsley restored

They said „404‘s never go for that„ I pointed out that there were not many around which had had full bare metal restoration, tasteful period specific mechanical upgrades etc etc so their database was largely irrelevant. We eventually agreed on 25K, but this was with a vintage friendly insurer

It is a problem for cars which have value to small numbers of crazed old men - niche interest - database is contaminated with ones which are just being sold for scrap or to get rid of them, by people with no appreciation of them.

Andrew
Shannons were happy to insure my 605 for what I paid for it, which was a lot more than the going average price for such a car. I was thinking I would have to argue my case (very low km, original almost pristine condition blah, blah) and they didn't hesitate, no problem. I could've insured it for more, but I don't see the point of paying a higher premium at a high valuation for the very small chance it becomes a total loss. Mind you, I don't find Shannons esp cheap.

Forgot to say earlier. I get it is not a show piece or in original condition, but what a staring point, for someone who wants to put a little time and effort into returning it to a fairly original and very quick road car. What could you buy for the asking price, plus a bit more?

A fair price is what someone will be happy to pay for the car. If you have a number in mind, it is up to you to ask for that number. If anyone thinks that is a fair price, they'll pay.

If I don't have any idea what a car is worth, I pop it on ebay with starting price 1 dollar and no reserve.

The thing I do not understand is why you care what happens to the car after you sold it? You sold it, it's gone, out of your hands. You have no control what happens to it after that. If you care what happens to the car, the only thing you can do is keep it. Why would you care if someone flips it, wraps it around a tree or crushes it? I think that is just self delusion at best.

Maybe you like a world with Peugeot 205s in it, but don't have the [insert whatever] to keep one around yourself. Like people who are prepared to reduce the use value of their land to other people (and therefore the resale value) by entering into a restrictive covenant to protect the environmental value. https://www.awe.gov.au/environment/biodiversity/conservation/covenants

Maybe we need peugeodiversity covenants enforced by a Peugeot Defender's Office?

Thanks pugrambo, I understand. Sorsy if I'm rule-bending, I felt tho it was a good topic to discuss.

On slight tangent to the topic, like Andrew I had lengthy argument with my insurer for our 100k's 407 immaculate coupe. (V6 3.0 and all the better for it). I changed insurer because when pushed they wouldn't get to 5 figures for agreed value comprehensive insurance.Try and buy a clean one under 150k's for less than $12k.

A fair price is what someone will be happy to pay for the car. If you have a number in mind, it is up to you to ask for that number. If anyone thinks that is a fair price, they'll pay.

If I don't have any idea what a car is worth, I pop it on ebay with starting price 1 dollar and no reserve.

The thing I do not understand is why you care what happens to the car after you sold it? You sold it, it's gone, out of your hands. You have no control what happens to it after that. If you care what happens to the car, the only thing you can do is keep it. Why would you care if someone flips it, wraps it around a tree or crushes it? I think that is just self delusion at best.

And here is the very core of my question. Thank you schlitzaugen.
I may be self-deluded. I may be throwing away my children's inheritance. But here you and I might differ.
The car has now gone to an enthusiast who was interested in the marque, wasn't buying it to flip it for a quick couple, and is going to put it into club competition and enjoy it. At - for what it is - a reasonable price to BOTH of us.
I hope he or his son don't wrap it round a tree, and I hope they and maybe a few others after that enjoy it before it get's crushed.
I also hope one day I'll see it round the traps, being enjoyed. I take great Joy in this outcome.
It's worth more to me than maxing out the market.
Vive la difference, Schlitz.

There was a backyard dealer in older Peugeots (now negotiating a good deal on the midnight chariot) whose specialty was prising strongly held old cars away from sentimental owners with the assurance that car and model was just the one he always wanted /used to have / whatever/ and he would lovingly restore it. Sometimes they were done up cheaply and sold, others wrecked. I helped him load two double deck car carriers with 504's. LTI's wagons, full imports, all with their stories and onsold to an Egyptian exporter. The dealer was good but the Egyptian was better. A table full of 50's and someone ended up short. Anyway, once a car/house/horse is sold it's sold and sometimes it's better not to look back.

One of lifes characters ,we know of whom you describe Russell, very polite !! trust he is enjoying his ride !
yes many were short changed in the export of 504s, but none else wanted them at the time