Gearbox fork that moves the thrust bearing

Justin B

Fellow Frogger
HI all,

WE broke this component when doing the clutch change over the weekend...

WE've now got the box back in, and tighten up... however, we noticed AFTER this that the actuator for that moves the thrust bearing was broken.

Can we Replace this via:
(A) the gap in the gearbox where the fork goes (i.e don't remove the box)
(B) unscrew the box and let it hang off the input shaft and get in that way
(c) R & R the gearbox again..

THanks
Justin

Justin B:
Can we Replace this via:
(A) the gap in the gearbox where the fork goes (i.e don't remove the box)
(B) unscrew the box and let it hang off the input shaft and get in that way
(c) R & R the gearbox again..

THanks
Justin
If you can't fit it through the existing gap, you can always cut a hole in the bell housing and either leave it open afterwards or pop-rivet a patch over it. I had a mechanic do this once to replace a fork, and he asked me first and the cost difference made me happy to go with it, even though it is a pretty agricultural solution. :)

Regards,
John Lane.

If its any consolation Justin, one of my first major "booboos" when bunging an engine back in a 403 a few decades ago was to completly forget to put the thrust bearing in at all! cry

I'd be very cautious about letting things rest on the input shaft. These things are not designed to carry heavy side loads. Don't want to have to redo it all again , with a gearbox reconstruction thrown in as well!

I don't know what the 205 housing looks like. John's suggestion could work, but I'd be inclined to pull it all right out and put it back in again, I'm afraid.

Cheers

Rod