gasket makers

DoubleChevron

Real cars have hydraulics
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
So what is everyones favorite ? I try to use the anaerobic sealers. However to do the valley cover and rocker covers on the shitbox. I'll need a thread sealer, a silicon gasket goop and a "gasket tack" type sealer to hold the rocker covers gaskets in place.

Does anyone have some smart suggestions of gasket makers/thread sealers that won't go off in the tubes 2 weeks after I used them :rolleyes:

I'm a cheap arse, I'm thinking normal everyday silicon is fine ... a few drips of superglue will hold the gaskets in place and anaerobic sealant might just make a great thread sealer :)

Permatex doesn't go off quickly, it takes years for that, but is slow to "set" -https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-aviation-form-a-gasket-no-3-sealant-liquid/

Silicone stuff does most jobs

Here are my favourite products for building engines:
ThreeBond 1211 - any metal-metal seal eg sumps, thermostat housings, copper head gaskets
Loctite 549 - thread sealer, which unlike thread tape, you can leave in any location as it locks as well
Loctite 243 - med strength for flywheel bolts, oil spray retaining bolts etc.
Loctite Copper Maxx - to replace any exhaust gaskets
Oh ... nice, I'm going to see if I can find a loctite stockist. autobarn/supercheap seem to be permatex dealers (which is fine, it seems a good product too).

I just googled them .... threebond ... never heard of it. Remarkable, I've never heard of a head gasket safe silicon.

549 .... sounds like an anaerobic sealer like 515 (my favorite) ... but possibly thicker and better.

have you tried loctite 567 ? it sounds like more of a sealer with low thread locking (I'm thinking intake manifold bolts that may go through a water jacket (they were almost seized when I removed them).

I'll give the copper max a crack. I've replaced flange and exhaust gaskets twice now. They only stay leak free for a few months tops before you can hear them puffing again.

Permatex doesn't go off quickly, it takes years for that, but is slow to "set" -https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-aviation-form-a-gasket-no-3-sealant-liquid/

Silicone stuff does most jobs

That sounds good. I tried a product in a tin yours ago that was "form-a-gaskset' .... I've been wary of buying anything in a tin since. I can't remember exactly what brand name it was, but it was incredibly hard to remove next time you had the thing apart. So I've been "avoiding" all form-a-gasket tins so I don't use it again :ROFLMAO:

Loctite & Permatex are the same company with some interchangeable products.
Cat & John Deere sell the own brands made by Loctite.

Repco do threebond. I used it for an XU9J4 rebuild back in about 2004 on Peter's recommendation and it is excellent. Back then the only source I could find in Brisbane was a motorcycle shop. Expensive, but never seen it leak which in the long term is cheap!

I only wish that when I did the GT previously that I knew it could be used on copper head gaskets as I ended up having to go back to a normal gasket after the copper one seeped down the back of the block.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/car-car...silicone-liquid-gasket-100gm-white/p/A9443189

Is there a cheaper source for it Peter? I will definitely use again when I put the Xu9/11J4 together.

Dave

I've used ThreeBond and found it as good as is claimed. Will use it again for assemblies i don't want to leek down the track. Got mine from Burson

I found Permatex doesn't set or skin over. ThreeBond does, as well as being easy to clean off any surface its applied to.

Sorry, I meant Locitie 569. Not 549.

I’m sure Permatex Ultra Copper is the same as Loctite Copper Maxx.

As Mr Rowles suggested, you’ll appreciate 1211even more when it comes time to remove.

Last edited:
[...]

I just googled them .... threebond ... never heard of it. Remarkable, I've never heard of a head gasket safe silicon.

[...]
I have started using threebond on recommendation of a friend who was racing top fuel dragsters back in Adelaide some years ago. He was putting his engine together with the stuff.

Bursons stock it but I find them too expensive. I bought my last tube from a 4WD shop, can't say I heard of them before. I think a similarly low price can be found on ebay.

A similar product is a sealant made by Toyota (Toyota sealant or some such name), again sold by Bursons, even more expensive than threebond and apparently just as good (some say better).

The beauty of it is you can use it for everything. It is very easily removable and doesn't leave anything behind. Plus, because of the cost you'll learn to apply it sparingly, which is a good thing.

ThreeBond - Advance Bearings, Blacktown.

Last batch i bought of 1211 was from Martini Racing Products in Melbourne. They have an ebay store as well.

Its a good idea to buy the special key they have for rolling the product out of the tube.

Found the ThreeBond was the only one to use to seal the rocker covers on the Laguna V6, as they tend to leak and the oil accumulates around the coils and seems to cause misfiring over time unless you clean out the accumulated oil seepage, and that is a bit of a chore to access the rear bank of coils, though just to mop up the accumulated oil there, and you may be up for a new manifold inlet gasket after removal a few times.

So good sealing/adhesion to the cam covers is worth the slight extra expense of threeBond. Do it once do it right!

Ken

Isn't it desired that the sealant not go off or harden in the tube in storage after opening? That rules out silicones.

Here are my favourite products for building engines:
ThreeBond 1211 - any metal-metal seal eg sumps, thermostat housings, copper head gaskets
Loctite 549 - thread sealer, which unlike thread tape, you can leave in any location as it locks as well
Loctite 243 - med strength for flywheel bolts, oil spray retaining bolts etc.
Loctite Copper Maxx - to replace any exhaust gaskets
Three Bond 1211 is what I used to seal up the half cases in my Renault R12's transaxle. Works well. Previously I have used Aviation Gasket Sealant #3 which also works well.

Isn't it desired that the sealant not go off or harden in the tube in storage after opening? That rules out silicones.
Buy your silicone sealants in toothpaste size tubes if you are a small user like me, they have a longer shelf life after opening because you can reseal them better than the larger gun style tubes.

Yeah well I ended up buying the extra high temperature copper silicon to re-assembled the Y pipes and manifolds, loctite/permatex aviation gasket stuff to hold the rocker cover gaskets on (hopeless, they just fell off ).... I'm guessing today is to hot for it to tack over properly. Another tube of permmatex anti-seize (that stuff seems to hide .... just like every Dshackle I've ever bought... there must be half a dozen tubes of it in my shed ... somewhere). Then I went back and got permatex gasket RTV ( after I read the specs for the high temp one and realised it probably wasn't right for sealing oil) .... Oh and loctite thread sealer. What am I upto, about 100 bucks in bloody sealants :eek: Three bond probably would have done all of the above and I'd only need the one tube :rolleyes:

I have no doubts the silicons will go off in there tubes over the next few months and get chucked out. the others will last years ..... if I don't loose them :co😐

seeya,
Shane L.

Just never buy whatever Citroen seals and cements RHH diesel sumps with. Getting it off is murder. I needed a chisel last time.

Just never buy whatever Citroen seals and cements RHH diesel sumps with. Getting it off is murder. I needed a chisel last time.
sounds like that aviation cement type stuff you paint on!

On the plus side, while searching for some anti-seize paste to put on the bolts .... I found two tubes of loctite 515 I didn't know I had ....... they must be pretty old! no bloody anti-seize though :rolleyes:

sounds like that aviation cement type stuff you paint on!
It certainly isn't - it's thick like a silicone, but not particularly rubbery and very adherent. I have used the aviation goo for years on gearboxes and the like. It's an easy remove with a scraper.