Gary Eaton peugeot 505 diesel record pikes peak

pekay49

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I'm looking for anything on Gary Eaton's record breaking run in the peugeot 505 diesel he broke the diesel record in I think 1980 or 82 I have literature on him with a picture of it going up pikes peak but I can't find his run on the pikes peak results website or any YouTube clip of him I have the literature which is from the peugeot car club of Dickson Indiana indionappollis and have made copies but could someone please help in this matter if they know as all of us 505 owners know the 505 peugeot handled better and was a stronger car and was a way better car than a crappy commodore vb or vk which was same bloke different haircut from Adam Kincaid cheers in advance

Pekay49

Found this info, it may help.

12756017553_05b1014b6d_c.jpg

Diesel.PNG

Gary Eaton.png

Cheers,

Dano

Last edited:
Pekay49,

I sent an email to,
Lisa Haight | Event Coordinator / Media / Historian
The Broadmoor Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
O: 719.685.4400 | E:lisa@ppihc.org | W: ppihc.org

Re information on Gary Eaton. The following is her reply.

Hello Dan and thanks for the inquiry!

You are correct. In 1981, the Rally division was started on Pikes Peak. Seventeen drivers entered the new division, including W. Gary Eaton in the #6 1981 Peugeot (diesel). He finished with a time of 16:30.46 (14th place) well off the pace of the winner, Dan Hoffpauir in a 1981 Wells Roadster who finished in 13:10.10.

Gary returned in 1982 and the division had been restructured to include 3 classes within the Rally division – Open, Production, and Production Diesel. Gary was the lone entry in Production Diesel in the #18 1980 Peugeot (diesel). He finished with a time of 15:40.92.

In 1983 the Rally division saw another iteration, Open and Production classes only. Gary is listed as entering the Production class in the #7 Peugeot Turbo (year and fuel-type are unlisted). He finished with a time of 16:23.78. John Crawford won the class with a time of 15:47.12. Both cars competing against Gary in this class were Dodge Chargers.

1984 was the last year Gary is listed as a competitor. He entered in the Open class, the same class that Michele Mouton won, setting a class record of 12:10.38. He is listed as the #13 1981 Peugeot Turbo (no fuel type) and he did not finish.

I hope this is helpful.

Lisa Haight | Event Coordinator / Media / Historian

The Broadmoor Pikes Peak International Hill Climb

O: 719.685.4400 | E:lisa@ppihc.org | W: ppihc.org