Full LED Headlamp Retrofit to 2017 Renault Megane GT Wagon

jostb

Tadpole
Good evening all,

I've had my Megane GT for a few years now, and something I've noticed is that I've grown to dislike the halogen headlights and I am looking for something brighter and more modern such as LED headlamps, Renault offers an LED headlamp option for my trim, though I assume if I go to my dealer they'll want to charge me big bucks for fitting the new headlamp assemblies. Currently, I have the Halogen lamp assembly and I would like to upgrade to the Full LED lamp assembly.

All I'm wondering is, is if physically, the LED unit will fit and if the connectors are the same or not, they're not in the pictures, but I'm unsure if these are the correct parts for my car, so the connectors could vary, I also assume halogen to LED coding can be done via DDT4ALL.

Lastly, would it be cheaper to just take it to a dealer to get it done? Or buy the assemblies myself and either do it on my own or take it to an auto electrician.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

(Halogen assembly is shown here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-...t-Driver-Off-Side-O-S-OEM-Valeo/263903028945?)

(LED assembly is shown here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-...-Right-Driver-Off-Side-OEM-Valeo/252953679383)

Last edited:
Hmmm,

Costly exercise AU$1500 before shipping.
Does it require loom modification?
Amount of night driving 2% 50% 100%?
Have you considered uprating Halogen globes to 4000+K - life is shortened but $$ factor 1:15.
Overcapitalising on a depreciating item?

Look I have a RS280 with LED's, a step up from halogens granted, but not what I was expecting.
Not hugely better in reach or illumination compared to H7 globes.
Maybe Renaults light department aren't a match to say MB/Audi/Top notch jap stuff ???????

Take a model out with LED's to compare before making the big step.......

All of these things only you can answer.

From what I've read, almost all the LEDs available are inferior to QIs in illumination and spread/cutoff. Renault buy their headlamps from outside suppliers, just like everyone else does, so I'd hesitate to say they are inferior. From what I've seen, many cars these days aren't too flash in the low beam department - driven mostly where street lighting is good perhaps?

Hmmm,

Costly exercise AU$1500 before shipping.
Does it require loom modification?
Amount of night driving 2% 50% 100%?
Have you considered uprating Halogen globes to 4000+K - life is shortened but $$ factor 1:15.
Overcapitalising on a depreciating item?

Look I have a RS280 with LED's, a step up from halogens granted, but not what I was expecting.
Not hugely better in reach or illumination compared to H7 globes.
Maybe Renaults light department aren't a match to say MB/Audi/Top notch jap stuff ???????

Take a model out with LED's to compare before making the big step.......

All of these things only you can answer.
Yeah that's a good idea, a lot of my car's life time is driving at night and the low beams are just terrible, so I might take an LED model out for a test drive and see if it makes any difference.

Cheers.

From what I've read, almost all the LEDs available are inferior to QIs in illumination and spread/cutoff. Renault buy their headlamps from outside suppliers, just like everyone else does, so I'd hesitate to say they are inferior. From what I've seen, many cars these days aren't too flash in the low beam department - driven mostly where street lighting is good perhaps?
Yeah, the high beams on my current model are fine, it's just the low beams driving in dim-lit areas it performs horribly, so I might try getting a-hold of some brighter halogen bulbs and trying some other small things before making a large purchase on something that might not be for me.

Yeah that's a good idea, a lot of my car's life time is driving at night and the low beams are just terrible, so I might take an LED model out for a test drive and see if it makes any difference.

Cheers.
Sorry jostb, normal headlights in residential areas (ie low beams) are meant to be "terrible". Correctly adjusted low beams have a cut off metres in front not kilometres. You don't need fancy lowbeam headlights. To prove my point how often do you see motorist that drive with NO HEADLIGHTS at all! Many LED powered cars (if not all) are badly adjusted to blind oncoming motorists; with a small change in grade of road and any acceleration blinds on facing motorists.
Save your money.
High beams are a different story as they are to be used on the open road. And, an extra set of driving lights is the way to go should you feel that your high beams are not good enough for the speed you want to travel on the open roads without regard to wildlife.
John
PS: Don't ask me what I think of Fog Lights!

Cheers.
I suggest you do some checking on line. There are some comprehensive reviews out there with photos showing high beam and low beam penetration for several different LED brands. Most LEDs look inferior to me. That'll change no doubt, with time. I saw a set recently on a Citroen that achieved low beam just by dimming, not dipping. Those ones (Ebay) might not even be legal.

Actually, led headlights are a great upgrade on the halogen ones. I have felt that on myself, as I also have an older Renault Megane GT, and after I got the led headlights, I can tell you that I was more than pleased with them. I got them from the dealer, so they have done all the job. They changed the headlights, and to be honest, I did not even expect such a great result. If you get some original headlights, then you will feel the difference really well. If you just buy some cheap ones, they will be looking like some xenon headlights, which is why you would not feel such a great difference between the new ones and the halogen headlights. If you want to feel the great difference between these two kinds of lights, just take a simple halogen head lamp and a led headlamp, and go for a hike at night. Trust me, you will see a significant difference.

Last edited:
Actually, led headlights are a great upgrade on the halogen ones. I have felt that on myself, as I also have an older Renault Megane GT, and after I got the led headlights, I can tell you that I was more than pleased with them. I got them from the dealer, so they have done all the job, they changed the headlights and to be honest, I did not even expect for such a great result. If you get some original headlights, then you will feel the difference really well, in case you just buy some cheap ones, they will be looking like some xenon headlights, and that is why you would not feel such a great difference between the new ones and the halogen headlights
That's interesting. What exact brand and model lights please? The review I read showed the beam coverage from the driver's seat and they really weren't much good except for just one type, but things evolve all the time!

I came up with a pretty radical solution to dim headlights in situations where high beam cant be used. I dont see anyone else doing it, so perhaps its illegal in Australia?

I know many wont want to try such a strange method, but if you're game to try new things its called - slowing down.

You're welcome to come and try the LED headlights in our 308 - they're, literally, brilliant !

You need to be very careful with online reviews that you're comparing the same thing. My son had LED globes in the standard factory housings designed for incandescent globes and the beam spread and penetration was so poor they were bordering on useless - and dangerous.

Factory LED housings - as opposed to just a globe insert, are very very good.

Cheers

Justin

You're welcome to come and try the LED headlights in our 308 - they're, literally, brilliant !

You need to be very careful with online reviews that you're comparing the same thing. My son had LED globes in the standard factory housings designed for incandescent globes and the beam spread and penetration was so poor they were bordering on useless - and dangerous.

Factory LED housings - as opposed to just a globe insert, are very very good.

Cheers

Justin
Thanks Justin. I can imagine/hope that factory LEDs should be very good. In my case, with older cars, it's the LED globes in incandescent reflectors that would be of interest and, from what I've seen so far, there's no point. Sydney's a bit far (and not a good idea this month of course, so good luck at your end).

Actually, led headlights are a great upgrade on the halogen ones. I have felt that on myself, as I also have an older Renault Megane GT, and after I got the led headlights, I can tell you that I was more than pleased with them. I got them from the dealer, so they have done all the job, they changed the headlights and to be honest, I did not even expect for such a great result. If you get some original headlights, then you will feel the difference really well, in case you just buy some cheap ones, they will be looking like some xenon headlights, and that is why you would not feel such a great difference between the new ones and the halogen headlights
Aha, so you got complete new headlamp assemblies? Not just an LED lamp that fitted the original reflector unit?

I suggest you do some checking on line. There are some comprehensive reviews out there with photos showing high beam and low beam penetration for several different LED brands. Most LEDs look inferior to me. That'll change no doubt, with time. I saw a set recently on a Citroen that achieved low beam just by dimming, not dipping. Those ones (Ebay) might not even be legal.
I thought all LED 'upgrade' bulbs didn't meet ADR's when installed in halogen headlights, which is why they say 'off road only' on the box. Is this right?

I'm aware this thread covers whole headlight replacements as well... ;)

I can say that the headlights look much better in real life than in the photo on the website. However, there were several difficulties during the installation. Everything fits on the hood and wing. The problem is only in the lower part, where the bumper is and on the side, where the plastic bumper grille is.
Any chance of photos? And how is the lighting performance please?

My understanding of the situation
*You're not supposed to put LED bulbs in a non LED fitting. That is against the rules and you would be very naughty.
Then again, you're not supposed to put 100w/55w bulbs in either, but countless thousands, including me, have done it in the past.
*The problem, as others have noted, is that the LED light source, and the halogen light source, aren't necessarily in the same spot, so reflect out differently. Which could be in other driver's eyes, or just not anywhere useful on the road in front of you. Particularly, the LEDs have multiple elements which span a larger area than a halogen filament, where the light source is very concentrated.
*But, LEDs are improving all the time, so maybe some of thousands of purported "LED H4/H7 replacements" will work? They are very cheap so might be worth trying a pair to see? Ultimately, 'legal' or not, if they work ie throw good light in the right pattern, then there will never be an issue.
*Alternatively, as was suggested, as a first step, perhaps just fit higher wattage halogen bulbs? The 'legal' ones are 60w/55w, but I see there are H4s with 100w/90w filaments, and H7s with 100w filaments, whichever suits the car. The worst you can lose is ~$50 or so for a pair.
*When you read articles on this topic eg
.. they invariable talk about 'dazzling' other drivers. When I drive around at night, I really don't ever find this a problem, so I don't think it is a significant issue. Otherwise I should be experiencing the problem.

Ando

*You're not supposed to put LED bulbs in a non LED fitting. That is against the rules and you would be very naughty.
Then again, you're not supposed to put 100w/55w bulbs in either, but countless thousands, including me, have done it in the past.
*The problem, as others have noted, is that the LED light source, and the halogen light source, aren't necessarily in the same spot, so reflect out differently. Which could be in other driver's eyes, or just not anywhere useful on the road in front of you. Particularly, the LEDs have multiple elements which span a larger area than a halogen filament, where the light source is very concentrated.
*But, LEDs are improving all the time, so maybe some of thousands of purported "LED H4/H7 replacements" will work? They are very cheap so might be worth trying a pair to see? Ultimately, 'legal' or not, if they work ie throw good light in the right pattern, then there will never be an issue.
*Alternatively, as was suggested, as a first step, perhaps just fit higher wattage halogen bulbs? The 'legal' ones are 60w/55w, but I see there are H4s with 100w/90w filaments, and H7s with 100w filaments, whichever suits the car. The worst you can lose is ~$50 or so for a pair.
.. they invariable talk about 'dazzling' other drivers. When I drive around at night, I really don't ever find this a problem, so I don't think it is a significant issue. Otherwise I should be experiencing the problem.

Ando
I'm certainly seeing plenty of dazzling headlamps out there, daytime and night-time. Whether they are incorrectly fitted LEDs I can't know, and some are definitely SUVs with high headlamp positioning.

Reactions: COL
I'm certainly seeing plenty of dazzling headlamps out there, daytime and night-time. Whether they are incorrectly fitted LEDs I can't know, and some are definitely SUVs with high headlamp positioning.
I do a lot of night and early morning driving under lights and I am dazzled by about 10% of the head lights on cars, SUV's and trucks.

Some look like they are LED's put in old style head lights that are very bright. There are also lots of maladjusted head lights out there, people driving round with fog lights on etc.

Light bars that are wired illegally along with traditional twin driving lights.

On the other end of the spectrum is the one eyed cars.

I do a lot of night and early morning driving under lights and I am dazzled by about 10% of the head lights on cars, SUV's and trucks.

Some look like they are LED's put in old style head lights that are very bright. There are also lots of maladjusted head lights out there, people driving round with fog lights on etc.

Light bars that are wired illegally along with traditional twin driving lights.

On the other end of the spectrum is the one eyed cars.
And the VERY end is all these cars with hopelessly opaque plastic headlamp covers. I argue that they are simply unroadworthy. All the authorities need to do is enforce the law by walking around supermarket carparks (same for bald front tyres....)

Reactions: COL

Ando

The most dangerous part of the attempt to "retrofit" Xenon headlamps is that sometimes you get a deceptive and illusory "improvement" in the performance of the headlamp. The performance of the headlamp is perceived to be "better" because of the much higher level of foreground lighting (on the road immediately in front of the car). However, the beam patterns produced by this kind of "conversion" virtually always give less distance light, and often an alarming lack of light where there's meant to be a relative maximum in light intensity. The result is the illusion that you can see better than you actually can, and that's not safe.