Fuelcat

dave from bendigo

Fellow Frogger
Has anyone else heard anything about the fuelcat, it is placed in either your fuel line or fuel tank and allows you to run leaded fuel cars on unleaded with great results. They are also very cheap, around $65-$80 for a motorbike and about $200 for a car. Apparently the idea has been around since world war 2 when the russians invented them to run there planes on higher octane fuel. You can buy them at Union Jack in Melbourne. I know people who use them currently and they give them a great wrap,(say it works better than when it ran on leaded), just wondering if anyone had used them.

If you hunt down the thread on valve seat recession you'll see that I've been running a Doring unit for about a year now.

I frankly can't say about the octane boosting ability, but it definitely does protect the valve seats. I haven't had to adjust my valves since I installed it, though the previous 1700kms saw me have to adjust them 15 thou.

They've been around since the twenties, actually. There are perhaps ten brands on the Australian market, I went for Doring's because after chatting with Bob Doring I was convinced that he puts a bit more into his, and also it's all Australian.

He has a website if you'd like to find out more...

Fuelcat was tested by the MIRA in the UK, and they found no evidence of protection against VSR. There was a court case, and Fuelcat had to withdraw their advertisement claiming protection.
I have had no personal experience with them, but that has made me wary.

My experience is a testimony in itself.

I was advised to use oils with a high zinc content in each tankful of petrol... I put over twice the recommended dose of this in. And still the seats ate away!

But from the moment the Doring catalyst went on, the problem ended. Completely. Must be nearly 80,000kms now...

Why didn't you use proper lead substitute additives? Would have made more sense...

The 15 thou you've just adjusted your valves - I assume you mean the clearance has increased...is this right?

Stuey

Originally posted by Stuey
<strong>Why didn't you use proper lead substitute additives? Would have made more sense...

The 15 thou you've just adjusted your valves - I assume you mean the clearance has increased...is this right?
No, they closed up as the valve seat went away.

What do you think the tin canisters are?

Precisely what you suggest... lead substitutes. Just as zinc is a lead substitute. The proprietory mixtures marketed as lead substitutes hardly come out as sensible, their costs add up alarmingly when you work it out.

Ray Bell:
No, they closed up as the valve seat went away.

What do you think the tin canisters are?

Precisely what you suggest... lead substitutes. Just as zinc is a lead substitute. The proprietory mixtures marketed as lead substitutes hardly come out as sensible, their costs add up alarmingly when you work it out.</strong>[/QUOTE]

Ahhh...re-read your post and realised you meant the 1700 kms PRIOR to the tin gizmo being installed...I thought you meant the latest 1700...

Past tense, Ray. I meant using purpose made lead substitutes in the fuel at the time you were adding zinc based oils to the fuel. As it happens I'm prepared to pay for the stuff at $1.50 a tank full until I get the exhaust valve seats replaced with harder ones in the next month or so during a routine head recon.

Stuey

<small>[ 16 May 2003, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Stuey ]</small>

I have used the cat you put in your fuel tank, i used it on my motornike, and i know you can get them for cars as well, i think the fuel tank option may have it's advantages as it is less likely to block, or restrics fuel flow compared to inline versions. The fuelcat worked excellent in my bike. :) :) :)

Stuey:
.....As it happens I'm prepared to pay for the stuff at $1.50 a tank full until I get the exhaust valve seats replaced with harder ones in the next month or so during a routine head recon.
$1.50 a tank, that's $3 a week for me. Compare that with $150 for an almost infinte life... and no need to fiddle around...