Fuel pump retaining ring - 306 / 407

matara

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
The old retaining ring on the 306 had snapped so got a new genuine PSA one from Martin at EAI. I am having real trouble getting it to thread on properly on to the tank. When it does go it gets tight real quick but isn't putting pressure on the pump and petrol leaks at the joint. I have a good green seal in it, and it is sitting correctly.

I can't see where the thread starts on the tank, there is a larger tang on the ring that lines up with where the thread starts and I have tried starting with that at the furthermost forward part of the tank (6 o'clock position as looking from above) but still no joy. Thing is I have the same problem in my 407 as well, new ring won't go on properly, but on that it only leaks if I totally fill the tank. On the 306 it leaks when the tank is just above half full.

Thanks

Steve

Do a DDG Search for the ring (AF home page) as there has been recent discussion of the pump ring on a plastic tank problem. It does need a tool for the job.

Take the tank out .
Like 206, 307 Scenic it is near impossible in situ as fuel tank flex/distortion.

I went through the hoops changing over thefuel pump, and locking ring, on my D9 406. Obviously a different model. In my case, I ended up removing the tank twice as I didn't get the plastic tubes located correctly.

If you're having fuel leakage issues then maybe either the locking isn't tightened properly or the O Ring isn't in place, or both.

Test fit the ring without the seal or pump and then mark it so you know where it starts to take up. You want the factory three prong tool you turn with a socket wrench or something very similar. Otherwise it's difficult. If you are reusing the seal and it has been distorted at all, where you put it back in will matter and that's why it's suggested to use a new seal.

As i explained the fuel tank is plastic and it is very, very flexible .
Read my original post?
Now if you stuff, cross thread, break the locking ring you will be wondering why you were not prepared?
On the level ground the locking cap just goes on without drama.

The old retaining ring on the 306 had snapped so got a new genuine PSA one from Martin at EAI. I am having real trouble getting it to thread on properly on to the tank. When it does go it gets tight real quick but isn't putting pressure on the pump and petrol leaks at the joint. I have a good green seal in it, and it is sitting correctly.

I can't see where the thread starts on the tank, there is a larger tang on the ring that lines up with where the thread starts and I have tried starting with that at the furthermost forward part of the tank (6 o'clock position as looking from above) but still no joy. Thing is I have the same problem in my 407 as well, new ring won't go on properly, but on that it only leaks if I totally fill the tank. On the 306 it leaks when the tank is just above half full.

Thanks

Steve
306 N5 Fuel tank, and seal, changed RPO 8701
I can't comment on other models tank flexing but I've never had an issue on any 306.
On this ring the arrow is 170 deg from start of thread, and thread on tank starts closest to the right rear passenger door, so I place ring with arrow facing left rear passenger door and it starts threading immediately.....

306FuelPumpRing.jpg

306 N5 Fuel tank, and seal, changed RPO 8701
I can't comment on other models tank flexing but I've never had an issue on any 306.
On this ring the arrow is 170 deg from start of thread, and thread on tank starts closest to the right rear passenger door, so I place ring with arrow facing left rear passenger door and it starts threading immediately.....

View attachment 229885
Do you a) do this in situ or drop the tank, b) run the tank low and b) use the special tool? (asking cos I may be needing to do this 🙄)

Do you a) do this in situ or drop the tank, b) run the tank low and b) use the special tool? (asking cos I may be needing to do this 🙄)
I've always done any work on fuel pump or level gauge by lifting up the right rear seat and with tank in-situ.
Undoing the ring without also breaking a fuel hose fitting is the only hard part.
Probably under half full is better so you have room for fuel to drain out of swirl pot as you lift pump/gauge unit out.
And I suppose go even lower if you want to see if there's any water sitting at bottom of tank.

Thing is I have the same problem in my 407 as well, new ring won't go on properly,
Did you moisten/lubricate the underside of the top of the ring so that it slides over the seal as you rotate the ring?
If dry the friction will grab on the seal and bunch it up into a knot

This looks the same my 406 locking ring. It's very important that the O Ring is undamaged (new) and it is seated properly as the locking ring is screwed on, and tightened up.

Without the special locking tool, its probably easier to do - tank out. However, you need to tighten it up so that the arrow on the ring lines up with the mark on the tank.

Ok all thanks for the tips but there was no way I am dropping the tank on this car to just put the ring on, so I bought a ring spanner tool it came yesterday and guess what the cut out in the body prevents you using the tool!!

So back to plan A and put Vaseline in the seal threads and mating surfaces and just keep banging it on with a bit of wood and a hammer. Thanks Denton for the tip about wedging the pump down but as this is a cabrio I had a trusty helper apply pressure with the jack handle. I drive it as far as I could more than you think it will go, several chipped wooden blocks later it was on! Tested it with 5l of fuel no leaks, another 5l no leaks and a final 5l to full still no leaks. Pity the bugger that has to get it off! Thanks All

398004372_10163071016967519_1151189778839795256_n.jpg

If you ever take the ring off to change a pump, never leave the ring off - put it back on while you’re mucking with the pump or the tank will distort… And try to have the whole job done quick smart.

And obviously try to have the tank empty. A full tank will distort it like a bastard…

And take note of the arrow that is usually on the ring and on the tank and make sure they’re lined up.

This is the part no on the old snapped ring:-

ring.png

The replacement I got from EAI had the same part number. Seems its used for Berlingo/Partner vans as well.

(Edit: This post relates to a 307 - mostly still correct, but see following posts.)
Ring 9621364680 corresponds to part# 153120. It's used on at least M59 Berlingo/Partner and some Xantia / Xsara. It doesn't show for any 307 as far as I can determine, so are you sure it's the correct ring for your VIN? It could have been changed in the past. The 307 listings seem to suggest it should be part# 153130. This is the table of some corresponding part numbers:
1699246754284.png

Some of the parts diagrams show the seal above the pump and others below. It should obviously go between the tank and the pump or it's going to leak. The factory tool looks like 2. You might want to borrow one. Would the Peugeot club have one they loan out? There are a couple of different sizes and Citroen also use the same tooling. I would imagine the mobile guys would own these.
1699245111259.png

The instruction is to align the arrow A on the pump with B on the tank and then turn the ring until the mark C on the ring aligns with both A and B.
1699245218578.png

Last edited:
The part is for a 306. Thanks for confirming part number.
Same issue is occurring on a 407.

Ring 9621364680 corresponds to part# 153120.

The part is for a 306. Thanks for confirming part number.

Hi David and shibuichi
Steve's ring (1531.20) is correct for a 306 N5 cabrio
I thought he had a 5dr 306 Rallye which uses the 1531.25 ring but could of had a different fuel tank and seal if built after RPO 8700

Sorry. For some reason I had 307 in my head, but it's a 306.
The ring for 306 is 145220. For 306 Restyle convertible 153120 and others 153125.
The seal is more than just a ring and apparently NLA.

Same story for the tool and fitting ...
1699251382264.png

All versions of the 407 show the ring as 153130 with ring seal 153141 (was 153129). Same tool and fitting process.

Last edited: