Fuel Leak

george

Fellow Frogger
My 95 306 XT has developed a fuel leak the last couple of months.It only seems to leak when the car has not been started for two days or more and it's always at the worst time to get underneath to investigate.It seems to be leaking from a metal tube under the drivers floor pan area.When it does decide to leak it leaks about a drop every two seconds.Last Sunday (not leaking)I crawled under the car to have a closer look.I noticed that one of the fuel lines (under the drivers floor pan) has a rubber sleeve around it.This rubber sleeve is about 10 cm long.I'm suspecting that this intermittant leak is from that rubber sleeve.Can anyone confirm that the sleeve is fitted from the factory to prevent the fuel lines from rubbing against each other? Or is it a previous repair on the fuel line that needs to be redone?
The car has always been on a staple diet of nothing but optimax. tongue

Thanks
george :confused:

Put a new line in. Well thats what I'd do. Not sure how much but you can spend untold wasted hrs trying to find them. You wont see the leak until the fuel line has some heat on it (ie, expansion) run it to operating temp, then have it put on a hoist to have a real good look.

Good luck. :p

James,

The leak does not seem to be heat sensitive,it only leaks on start up after the car has not been started for a couple of days.Maybe it's fuel pressure sensitive?
I would wait until it got a lot worse before I replaced the suspect fuel line.It seems like a big job as it runs from the fuel tank and it connects to a hose situated near the brake master cylinder.

Thanks for your suggestion James :)

george:

I would wait until it got a lot worse before I replaced the suspect fuel line.It seems like a big job as it runs from the fuel tank and it connects to a hose situated near the brake master cylinder. :)
Ouch! Leaking fuel lines are NOT something that I'd leave to get worse.! OK, maybe you only SEE it leaking when the car is stopped, but perhaps its sending out a nicely vaporised spray when you are driving along in some circumstances - just waiting for some static electricity or a hot muffler or someone's cigarette but.t.....

KABOOM!

Cheers and good luck

Rod

I would have to agree with Rod, never leave a leak unless you have insurance and want to replace the car ............ I am gonna be in Sydney early June I will track your car down and light the fuel drip trail..... evil

I just thought I'll let you know that I found the leak and managed to fix it. :)
The leaking fuel line connects to a fuel hose near the brake master cylinder area.The clamp (fixed type) which seals the hose to the fuel line was not sealing properly.Consequently fuel would leak and flow along the fuel line and drip underneath the driver floor area.By replacing the suspect fixed clamp with a new adjustable type clamp the leak seems to be plugged. :D
I'm just glad I did not replace the whole fuel line. approve

george :cool:

George,

I had a similar problem when I first bought my car. I fixed one leak to discover another leak not long afterwards.

Basically I don;t trust those fixed crimp clamps that Peugeot uses to shorten assembly time.

If I were you I'd replace every single crimp clamp on fuel lines with a stainless steel hose clamp like I did just for peace of mind!

Derek.

Mmm. Nasty. This sort of problem is serious recall territory at least in a newer vehicle. The government reacll sitre doesn't go back this far. Anyone know if there were any service bulletins or recalls on this issue? With two board users suffering the problem I'd suggest that people with similar models should take a look!

Glad you found the source of the problem before it found you, George!

Cheers

Rod

DeKa,

This is the fourth clamp I have replaced due to leaks of one sort or another.I probably should have known and looked at the clamps before I looked anywhere else.
I have thought of replacing all the clamps (they are pretty inexpensive), but on the other hand if it's not broke why fix it?

george wink

Rod,

I agree with you there! I think replacing the hose clamps is a priority on 306's with those same quick crimp clamps. Keep in mind that my car is a March 1994 model (build date December 1993) so it would be one of the first in Australia, so I presume if it is a problem related to age I'd be one of the first to notice it. It has had 1 recall according to the service books but I have no idea what it was for as I didn't own it then.

george, that's precisely the reason I replaced them all. Hoseclamps and a bit of time are cheap insurance against a nice fire.

Derek.

Hmmm! Our 1995 306XT did this when it was new, stopped, fuel running out under a headlamp of all places!

We left it where it stopped, took the keys to the dealer and told him where to find the car! It was duly fixed (no charge) with denial that we had seen fuel coming out ("are you sure it wasn't coolant?"). It hasn't missed a beat since and certainly hasn't leaked any more fuel. I always suspected a leak from the fuel line in the engine bay.

JohnW