Fuel Injection Problems

Joe

Fellow Frogger
Hi Ya’ll

I have a ’84 505 coupe with the fuel injected V6. We bought the car and drove it about 50 miles to the farm. The next day it would not start. I found out the fuel pump was not running. I found the fuel pump relay and jumped it and the engine would crank. Unfortunately things got worse as the day progressed. It got to where it would no longer start again. I found the 15 amp fuel pump fuse (the one behind the ash tray) & it was blown. I don’t know weather I blew it messing around with the electrical system or if something else took it out.

As it stands right now there is no voltage going to the fuel pump relay coil but I do have 12 volts at one side of the contacts (term 3 or 5, I forget). However I don’t have any voltage at the fuel pump fuse mentioned above (ignition switch on). I did try another computer but that didn’t change anything. Where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance. I would really appreciate a electrical diagram / schematic for the if anyone can send one.

Joe
NC-USA

Jcole1@carolina.rr.com

Sounds like the fuel pump is drawing too much electrical current. There is a few possibilities here: :confused:
1. Muck in the fuel making the pump work to hard (not sure if they have a removable screen).
2. A short circuit in the pump motor windings or a short to earth in the wiring.
3. The other possibility is that somthing else or anouther fault is loading up the same circuit.
Try swapping the relay first just in case it has an internal short.
Hope this helps. :D

<small>[ 16 July 2002, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: rick_b ]</small>

Thanks rick_b,

Unfortunately a short in the fuel pump is not the problem. I get about 12 ohms reading back from the fuel pump relay socket, back through the fuel pump to ground. The fuel pump fuse has not blown again so I figure I blew it while troubleshooting the electrical system. The problem is there is no voltage on the relays “coil” AND there is no voltage on either side of the fuse (ignition switch on).

In my research last night on Bosch K-Jetronice EFI, I found that some cars had a “crash switch” that would kill the fuel pump circuit in the event of a crash or even an encounter with a nasty pot-hole. Does the ’84 505 have one of those?

Joe

May be hard to find info on this forum as we never saw V6 505's through dealers in Australia. There is only a handfull of private imports here.

Yes it is an '84 505 with a V6. Even if it is a rare bird I suppose the K-Jetronice EFI would be similar between other body styles within a couple or years. It was originally purchased from Geno's Motors Inc in Maryland. If it helps the vehicle ID is
VF3BD41A7ES363473

Joe

Yes, we had the 505 STi sedan which had a 2.2L 4cyl and Bosch K-jet mechanical fuel injection (this is me assuming it was the sti that had the k-jet and the gti that had the L-jet)

The two cases I've come across are:

- the Tachymetric relay on the firewall is faulty (do a search on Jim Lill's site for photo & details: vectorboard.com )

- the fuel pump brushes are worn. To confirm, stand/jump vigorously on the rear bumper bar and see if starts then (eliminate the relay first).

PS. I have never heard of a 505 coupe - must have been a custom job.

con.....

Well the coupe was a mis-statemant. I guess a sedan would be more correct. I put some photos of it on one of my extention web sites. Maybe some of you can better tell me just what I have.

<a href="http://freepages.autos.rootsweb.com/~jfcole/peugeot.html" target="_blank">http://freepages.autos.rootsweb.com/~jfcole/peugeot.html</a>

There are several photos on the page so it may take a few seconds to load.

Joe