fuego wheels

jo proffi

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
when changing to standard rims,what would be the ideal size.Looking at runing 50 profile tyres,but dont want to rub rubber or gear down.

I looked at some 15's today,with50 tyres,and the guy selling them reckond the rolling distance was smaller.the wheel looked quite small on his car.

I know plwnty of people say that the fuego had an odd wheel size..

For 14, you want 185/65 or 195/60. 15 is a good size with 195/55 (thats what I had on R25 rims on my Fuego) or 205/50.

Ray Bell:
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to run 50-series tyres?
I run 45 series for the handling...
Some would run them for the look :confused:

I have 205/45 R16's on mine and they have never rubbed on anything..(BTW they're about 2mm different to the RR of the metrics).....just be prepared for a firmer ride (although not as bad as u would think)

I imagine that a 195/55 R15 would be fairly close in RR to the original metrics....any good tyre store should have a cross reference chart that will show the rolling radius of different size wheels and tyres...This should make the job a bit easier :D

Haakon, you you said you had r25 rimms on your fuego. do they fit strait on, or did they need machining.I'd prefere to use renault wheels as they tend to be less open thus hiding the fact that there are drums at the rear.

Ray Bell:
But what about ride comfort and compatibility with the suspension bushes and so on?

The look? Why would you do something so detrimental for the look?
As the TRX's are a notoriously hard/harsh tyre (for it's profile), the actual ride doesn't deteriorate as much as is normal for such a large reduction in profile.

There is always going to be some compromise in regards to ride/durability of bushes/shocks etc, but in this case (for me as a motor mechanic anyway) I think the pros definately outway the cons.

BTW...I have had those wheels on the car for the best part of 100,000K's and have not needed to replace any bushes/ball joints due to wear (I replaced both upper and lower ball joints at 200 000ks just as a regular service item and the car felt the same)...But you are right...It won't be for everyone

P.S...Ray cuz, wat if I put some fully sik 245/15 R21's on the fwaygo mate....fully sik mate..fully......aslong as I dont hit a cat eye and rip out the entire front end :D :D :D