Fuego problem, reverse lights, foglamps

vivid

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I have an 84 Fuego almost ready for roadworthy, except the reverse lights and foglamps.

Reverse lights.
Have checked the globes, the wire was connected to the gearbox. Still no joy. Fuses are ok, and I have tried both earthing, and running current through the wire, still no lights.

Anyone have any ideas? I have been waiting for a workshop manual of ebay, but alas still haven't recieved it, so maybe someone with a wiring diagram can help me.

Vivid

If you are a Renault Car Club Member, the Club has original Factory
manuals that they will loan on a deposit. Checkout their website
etc.

Ken.

Hey, Vivid.
If you have a look under the bonnet near the ignition unit on the firewall, there are a couple of plastic junction connectors there. One of them has 5 pins. This 5 pin connector is where the reverse light switch wires come from.It's a black plastic, rectangular connector.
Un-plug the connector and check it for corrosion or, as in my case, melting eek! !!!
The feed for the reverse lights comes from the fuse box via a grey wire, through the 5 pin connector on pin 2, to the reverse light switch, back through the 5 pin connector via a green wire on pin 4, then on to the rear harness connector and the tail light assembly. Earthing for this circuit and all tail lights, is at the rear end of the car near the tail light assembly.

Hope this helps.

Even without a wiring diagram, here is the diagnosis method I usually use when faced with problems of this nature (after performing a basic check as listed - globes, fuses, visual check of connectors)

Equipment required:
Multimeter (a "Dick Smith" cheapie is fine) - all you need is to check continuity and voltage

Set of long test leads (or some bits of wire) - alligator clips are handy to have as well

-----------
1) Choose an "end" to start with - in this case, either globes or switch

2) Test the functionality of the device at the end of the chain. ie. Does the bulb holder have a good earth - does the centre pin have a good connection back to the feed wire to the tail-light unit. Or, does the gearbox switch function when reverse gear is engaged (continuity check accross the terminals) In the taillight case, I would supply 12V down the appropriate terminals and check for globe illumination. Once you've verified this, you can move on with confidence to the next section!

3) Assuming these devices are OK, trace back to next junction (fuse or switch block) - check wire continuity at that point (ie from taillight to junction block). Again, maybe simulate the operation of the circuit with power etc.

4) Continue moving through the circuits using a process of component elimination. The fault will present itself in time.

Sherlock Holmes got it right : "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"

In my experience with electrical faults, the above quotation applies nearly every time!