French Car Day, 16 July 2017 in Sydney

Bowie, sorry I didn't get over to meet you today. I own the dark green R8. Not sure if that's the one you mean,
Hopefully I'll catch you at a meeting or event some time.
KB

It might have been! sorry I missed you too. I should have done some better research collating all the images in signatures to match the owners :p

The 12 isn't far off NSW club rego now, I want to get out to a motorkharna asap. Yes, hopefully meet you all soon.

Here are a few photos from the day.
1.jpgDSC_6411.jpgDSC_6413.jpgDSC_6420.jpgDSC_6423.jpgDSC_6426.jpgDSC_6438.jpgDSC_6453.jpgDSC_6458.jpg

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 326
  • DSC_6416.jpg
    DSC_6416.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC_6430.jpg
    DSC_6430.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 540
  • DSC_6432.jpg
    DSC_6432.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 317
  • DSC_6435.jpg
    DSC_6435.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 314
  • DSC_6442.jpg
    DSC_6442.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 408
  • DSC_6446.jpg
    DSC_6446.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC_6447.jpg
    DSC_6447.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC_6448.jpg
    DSC_6448.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC_6449.jpg
    DSC_6449.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 331
  • DSC_6451.jpg
    DSC_6451.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 313
  • DSC_6456.jpg
    DSC_6456.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 308
Congratulations and well done.

It was that nice click that the judges heard as they closed the doors.:approve:

Last edited:
I think there's one thing the organisers need to do and that is to advertise, pre-event, that vehicles not owned by a person of an affiliated club are not eligible for prizes.

I think the vast majority of people don't realise this. I was wondering how the 404 that won best modified pug did so when there were so many others only to read through the Shannon's info sheet and discover this.

Better still, make anyone who turns up and pays the display fee eligible, even if the fee has to increase to do so.

I think there's one thing the organisers need to do and that is to advertise, pre-event, that vehicles not owned by a person of an affiliated club are not eligible for prizes.

I think the vast majority of people don't realise this. I was wondering how the 404 that won best modified pug did so when there were so many others only to read through the Shannon's info sheet and discover this.

Better still, make anyone who turns up and pays the display fee eligible, even if the fee has to increase to do so.

I believe that the event was open to all French car owners as advertised, regardless of club affiliation or not. Of course you're entitled to your opinion. I happen to disagree with you, but that's fine. The broader aim in my opinion is to make non-club members feel welcome and attend (and be eligible for prizes by default) so that if they do come along and if they enjoy it, then perhaps they may join a club.

Club membership and active participation is dying across the board, so we need to do what we can to encourage the next generation of members or we'll all be there in our zimmer frames talking about the good 'ol days and how big the day used to be.

KB

I was laughed at when I tried to join the PCCNSW. Helpful!

Yeah it certainly is an old boys club. (and I didn't make a booboo with that gendered noun either).

If I didn't like silly old things, and instead had some love affair with a modern clio, I doubt I would have felt welcome within the crowd. Shared interest in a model certainly helps, and car shows dying? Nope. You just went to the wrong show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=305IkJveHBI
https://www.facebook.com/nulonnationals/videos/1488659941222225/

And before you say it, both those events are booze free ;)

But in defense. There was a pretty good crowd for a what, a Sunday morning in winter. The park looked great.

I honestly don't know what car clubs are going to do, they are dying! Full of old grey headed people (Me included) they need some new blood. BUT HOW?

We should start a survey here on what thoughts are on how to improve the situation and attract new blood.

I have found that most of the better performing clubs carry out a fair amount of club level/type motorsport, however even these clubs appear to be faltering. I attended round 6 of the NSW State Motorkhana series last Sunday. Run by the Mini car club (One of the better performing clubs that I know (Yes I am also a member of this club as well as Peugeot). The event only attracted 19 starters (13 entrants from the Mini club), in years gone by we would have had 35 to 40 starters at least.

I bet if you could text as you competed in a motorkhana test we would get more starters! :wink2:

Most clubs these days are doing a lot of multi-day drives around in the bush and weekday events. This is good but how can the young people compete?

Anyone want to comment (With constructive criticism) on how to attract new blood and improve our car club's futures? Or is it too late????

The broader aim in my opinion is to make non-club members feel welcome and attend (and be eligible for prizes by default) so that if they do come along and if they enjoy it, then perhaps they may join a club.

KB
IF that was the aim, the shot landed very wide of target.
The sour taste still lingers from when this ' club rule' was discussed a few years back.
I went from being a keen participant, to parking in the car park, to not even bothering to attend the last two events.

Jo

We should start a survey here on what thoughts are on how to improve the situation and attract new blood.

I bet if you could text as you competed in a motorkhana test we would get more starters! :wink2:

Anyone want to comment (With constructive criticism) on how to attract new blood and improve our car club's futures? Or is it too late????

G'day,
how did you go ?
I attended a 4th birthday party. Yee haa. The next day, everyone came down with gastroenteritis. Yee ƙ'n haa !
How about live streaming to facebook ?
You could have a passenger giving a running commentary. Wi fi microphone to a set of loudspeakers.
Bike clubs have monthly runs to somewhere. Usually daily return, sometimes overnight. Pick a pub, drive there, have lunch and return.

Last edited:
3rd tin-top home, 2nd in class after 9 tests by only 2.6 seconds (To the class top runner David Masing) & took 0.58 seconds off my 2006 Nationals record for the Hopkirk (run 28.07s)!

As 70 looms I may not be finished yet! :headbang:

I must have missed that part of the day at Silverwater. Probably while I was looking at some great old French cars and munching on a croissant.

I'm sure this has all been said before but,
In regards to attracting younger club members, maybe trips to some shows focused on the more modified type of car would help, four cyl nats and such.
And surely the option to occasionally attend motorkhana/trackday type events would be a good thing to have at any club?
I thought the CAMS membership that came with the PCCNSW was i great idea, but looking through some of the clubs previous runs, there didn't seem to be many times you'd need it.

And on a more personal note, I'm not exactly young anymore, but like most younger folk, I am ridiculously impatient, (you don't say!), and as such I found the six month wait for club rego, (thanks for updating the website btw), to be a total deal breaker for me, I figure it would be for most younger people in my position as well. Don't know the solution to that one,
need a middle ground between making it too easy, so every dunger and scammer can join, and making it too difficult and discouraging the genuine car freaks.