Fregates in Australia?

R17G

Fellow Frogger
Just out of interest does anyone know of any Fregates that still exist in Australia?

R17G:
Just out of interest does anyone know of any Fregates that still exist in Australia?
George Cook has one just outside Canberra - contact him via the 4CV Register of Australia.

There's one in Perth somewhere.

I remember one in regular use in Adelaide, but that WAS the late 1960s.

JohnW

Rupert Matchett has one at his place just south of Wollongong, near lake Illawarra. He's interested in selling it, but it's very rusty and really only suitable for parts. I don't think he'd want much money for it.

Dave

Rob "Mekenkamp" has one in Melbourne; and Uwe Hemphil in Sydney so it sounds like there are still a few around.

I had 3 of them about 15 years ago, sold them to a bloke in Bendigo who still has them, recently I asked him to sell one back to me and he said no way. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was selling them.

David.

There was a Domaine wagon at Smithfield Wreckers going back to 1986. It was faded and being sold as a going vehicle, no idea what happened to it though.

There is a black Affaires in Canberra, the black Sydney car with sunroof (featured in a 1986ish Wheels Magazine), Rob's Grand Pavois in Melbourne I've heard he has since acquired another one, a green restored Affaires from Mt Gambier now in Kaniva, the George Cook car, there should be another one in Adelaide (possibly the car John Waterhouse knows) it was in good condition, and the owner picked up a pristine Dauphine G in 1984 to replace it. The Dauphine G is still around, but the Fregate has disappeared.

There was one advertised in Bundaberg about 3 or 4 years ago; don't know if it was ever sold. Seems to be some strange things up that way; Simcas, Borgwards amongst them.

Alan S

There was a dark coloured one in the Bastille Day in Sydney.
When I bought my Renault, my aunty said that she used to have a fregate years ago when she was younger, it towed caravans,boats from sydney to the CC for years. She loved it.

Originally posted by Simon:
[QB]There was a Domaine wagon at Smithfield Wreckers going back to 1986. It was faded and being sold as a going vehicle, no idea what happened to it though.

Simon,

There used to be 2-3 of that family beside a house on Glynburn Road near Payneham Rd, roughly opposite the fire station. They sat for at least 20 years to my knowledge - a Prarie Wagon, a Domain and I think a Fregate sedan, if I remember. The Prarie was definitely there and I know it's not exactly a Fregate, but someone ought to have one preserved somewhere.

I went hunting last time I was in Adelaide but couldn't find them.

Final information from me on this subject - Adelaide City Council used to power their River Torrens irrigation pump with a Prarie engine - I remember Renault Aust. (yes, Renault Aust!) falling over when they were approached for a sleeve kit!! This engine might still be attached to an oversize water pump for all I know.

JohnW

Hello all

Have just joined up and logged in, so thought I'd better respond on this as my car has been mentioned. My Fregate is a 1956 model which is complete and undergoing a slow restoration (sadly, other tasks keep intervening).

The most visible is the Uwe Huempel car (a black affaires, I think from 1954). It was given a brief article about four years ago in Australian Classic Car and is a regular at Sydney and Canberra French Car days.

There is another at Kaniva in western Vic which I understand is roadworthy and I know of another undergoing restoration in Brisbane. Apart from that, I have only secondhand knowledge of the Adelaide car(s), but I had thought there was one extant in the Perth area.

While driving from Brisbane to Goondiwindi via Toowoomba late last year, I saw a very tired looking Domaine wagon in a roadside property west of Toowoomba. There also was a Grand Pavois at Stanthorpe in 1999, with all the "fruit", but in a very sad state.

George Cook

How about a Colorale Ute and Wagon then?

I know of two very average examples nearby that may be for sale.

Back to the Fregates, I bugged my old man 15 years ago to buy the green one at Jugiong but it had a dead sheep in the boot and we didnt think it was a good proposition.

George C welcome to the list finally!
To the great unwashed, George is the man to talk to if you want to talk emissions, valve seat recession and australia's petrol in general!

Good luck.

ipb

Since we're talking 50's/60's Rens, there's a Floride cabrio in the Quokka at the moment in Mullaloo WA:

"RENAULT Flouride convertible, 1963, c/w hard top, needs finishing $AUS4000."

John W, you need another classic Renault don't you :D

Stuey

Stuey,

In short, no! We did have a Caravelle in Kenya once, but I reckon 2 rear engined ones is enough.

I'll have the 16TS at the French Car Day tomorow - will you be there?

John

No John, it clashes with a photographic fair I never miss, unfortunately. (However, there's a guy with a mint DS23 there every time I intend to make aware of this site.)

Cheers

Stu

Thanks for the welcome and the wrap ibp205.

You mentioned a Colorale ute in your post. Those things are as rare as rocking horse poo - I know of no others in Oz and there are only a very few known in France. Just the goods for someone really wanting to tun heads at a FCD somewhere (or one of those country ute musters)!

GeorgeC

GeorgeC:
Thanks for the welcome and the wrap ibp205.

You mentioned a Colorale ute in your post. Those things are as rare as rocking horse poo - I know of no others in Oz and there are only a very few known in France. Just the goods for someone really wanting to tun heads at a FCD somewhere (or one of those country ute musters)!

GeorgeC
George,
Does Jason Hinder have a restorable Colorale ute?
Or is it something else.. I've seen it but didn't take a lot of notice at the time.

cheers!

"Rob "Mekenkamp" has one in Melbourne;" Just to update people out there in renault land :) As far as I know, robble now has 3 cars, one original Domaine hurse "coffin carrier" , and "Grand Pavois" as simon said and another sedan which is original, yet as I understand it needs allot of work...........
he's only avalible on the phone
mob 0417 363 665
cheers!

G'day Bogmaster

George,
Does Jason Hinder have a restorable Colorale ute?
Or is it something else.. I've seen it but didn't take a lot of notice at the time.

Well, methinks we're getting a little off-topic about Fregates with our discussion of Colorales. But they're somewhat rarer, so I think I'll start a new topic on them and see what we can all turn up.

The brief answer to your question though, is yes - and I understand it is or was for sale.

Cheers

GeorgeC

Off topic, but John W, was there a French Car Day in Perth on Sunday? ... if so, it was a very well kept secret!

NB: Has anyone got a picture of a Colorale ute - this I've got to see.

<small>[ 16 October 2002, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Virage Racer ]</small>

There was indeed a French Car Day in Perth last Sunday. Others have been better attended.....

I didn't see much publicity either - there was some correspondence in this Forum though.

Plan on it for next year's "Spring in the Valley" Sunday.

Cheers

JohnW