Footage of BX 16v crash at Eastern Creek 12hr

brenno

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi,

I was watching the TV footage of the 1996 Eastern Creek 12 hour production car race tonight and noticed they managed to capture the demise of one of the BX's on film. It's almost amusing how it launches off the tyre wall and then cruises down pit-lane with presumably no brakes.

I hastily snipped the crash into a small clip;

http://www.beecee.net/bxvid/bx16vfailure.mov

It's 4.7mb. Sorry about the left-only sound channel.

So.....did the hydraulics fail for this to happen?

Was that the strut going up to hit the bonnet as it lands?? ala Xantia style:clown:

Actually handled hitting the tyre wall at speed fairly well I think..... although it did land hard.:evil:

Jono

crosspug said:
Was that the strut going up to hit the bonnet as it lands?? ala Xantia style:clown:

Actually handled hitting the tyre wall at speed fairly well I think..... although it did land hard.:evil:

Jono

It looks like the strut coming up into the bonnet. The other interesting thing is the bonnet folding - I don't think the plastic bonnet on my 16v would do that....

Chris

IIRC that is a Peter McLeod car. Peter and Co were doing well campaigning the BX16vs and this I think was their only major catastrophe on the track.

I am led to believe that there was some device made to allow fitment of two accumulator spheres and it was this device failing which led to the rapid loss of LHM and of course all pressure. You can see that the car is down before it hits. The driver would also have had no power steering (if it was still on the car) and of course it would be sitting on bump stops.

Metal bonnets were available for BXs and there may have been one of these fitted to the car to perhaps comply with CAMs rules etc at the time. Hence the bent bonnet. I suppose a strut would follow through if the majority of the weight of the car landed on that corner.