flat spot pug

felixblack1

Fellow Frogger
hey,
i own a pug 205gti 1.9, and i have noticed that i have a big flat spot between 3500 and 4200rpm. my air filter is clean, new plugs and leads, tried injector cleaner, and am running [BP]98octane fuel. the car also pings when the coolant gauge is just a little under 3 1/4. i owned one a few years back and it was in its prime at 3000-4000rpm??? when i say flat spot i mean you can really feel it drop off.

when i first bought the car i found that the vacuum ignition retard system wasn't hooked up [which caused it to ping more so]
any ideas???

How do you go about cleaning the distributer?
cheers
Felix

Does the power come back after 4200rpm?

Are you handy with a 10mm spanner and ratchet?

Do you own and/or know how to use a multimeter?

hey PeterT,
Does the power come back after 4200rpm?

Are you handy with a 10mm spanner and ratchet?

Do you own and/or know how to use a multimeter?
Yes
Yes
and Yes.
What do i do doc? are you thinking distributer?

Thanks
Felix

Have you checked the air intake pathway ?
What condition is the air mass sensor in (or what ever its called.)
Sometimes the distributer shaft can develope a wiggle ?
Check the voltage between the coil and battery over the rev range, should maintain 12 v.
Cant think of anything else.
Good luck. :confused:

I've never used BP fuel...Currently using Mobil Synergy 8000....If I don't use it...(optimax or other high octane fuel...) she pings and plays up in mid range :mad: . Pugs need the good juice from the newest fuel station you can find. Apart from that, check security of intake hoses including crankcase ventilation (attached to oil filler) tongue
Simon <a href="mailto:simfit@iprimus.com.au" target="_blank">simfit@iprimus.com.au</a>

When 205GTi's were released in Australia, only 91 octane was available. 95/96 octane became available in the early '90s. If you need 98 to make it stop pinging, (or believe it will make a car with 8.5:1 CR run better) you've got something wrong.

If you need 98 to make it stop pinging, (or believe it will make a car with 8.5:1 CR run better) you've got something wrong.
if you mean something wrong with the car, well yes, that's the question. "what is wrong?" wink

thanks guys, i've checked hoses, checked inlet manifold gaskets, cleaned up throttle body...

today i changed the the fuel filter and replaced the o'rings on the injectors [as some were cracked]. i'll see how that goes.

james, you have few good ideas. i'll check those as well
cheers
felix

Sounds like camshaft timing may be out a fraction, this will determine the rev range the engine makes it's power at and how much power it will make. I don't have specs on hand but it relates to where the valves are in relation to the crank and pistons. If dialed in correctly power gains of 10% are not uncommon :D wink . Can someone help us out with specs and a procedure for the Pug XU9J engines question I would also like to check the valve timing on the XU9J4 in my Mi16. Also does anyone know where to aquire offset keyways to adjust the cams in reference to the sprokets question

<small>[ 11 June 2002, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: rick_b ]</small>