Fitting an external auto transmission cooler-in series with existing setup ?

Beano

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I have a V6, automatic. Not saying what make of car it is.:cool:

Previously I have fitted an external trans oil cooler to my Peugeot 505 for reasons of longevity. As we all know, heat kills transmissions....even if we don't use them for towing.
It seems silly to cool the trans oil through the hot radiator.
But apparently there is a reason for doing so.....I have heard that similar to an engine getting up to operating temperature by use of a thermostat, transmissions need this too.
But then they get a shortened life due to heat.

Where is the happy medium between these ? Perhaps using an external trans cooler in series with the one in the radiator ? All ideas appreciated.

in bris i think it is going to need more cooling than heating ,unless you are going to central qld in the middle of winter ,i dont think you are going to experience ,below 0 conditions ,my son had a car with an external auto cooler with its own little fan controlled by a thermostat

Measure the temp under load and see what you get. At least the radiator is attempting to keep it at approx. 90º. Visit an auto gearbox repairer and ask how many they fix due to heat.

P S i forgot about Stanthorp and Toowoomba !

Some years ago I bought a BA Falcon Wagon from the government auctions. It was 18 months old with 42k on it.

The BA had a problem with the auto trans fluid heat transfer unit in the radiator. It would fracture putting auto fluid into the radiator, but much worse was the coolant into the transmission once the engine was stopped.

The problem was so common on these cars PWR made a transmission cooler kit for the BA. It fitted well and closed off the original radiator cooler set up. I kept the car for another 200k having no problems at all with the vehicle. I often towed a car on a trailer with it.

The fluid was a little burnt on the first change at about 45K when the PWR cooler was fitted, but came came out looking and smelling good with later changes around 40-50K intervals. So perhaps the box ran hotter with more slippage when in original spec, but continued to work and last well with the external cooler fitted, even with the additional towing duties.