First Drive Xsara VTS

plugger

Tadpole
Hi all,

Well drove my first ever citroen today. I have been looking to buy a reanult clio sport but recently most of the ones advertised in Sydney seem to be at inflated prices compared to the ones i was looking at before i sold my car which meant i began to look at alternatives. Luckily i came across the zippy Xsara VTS. I was pleasently surprised, it drove great and certainly looked to be a close competitor to the clio. So i am now deciding whether i should take the plunge on a 2002 Xsara with 60K km's, i will be getting the extended warranty though...it looks like i would have worries in the repairs department if i didn't judging by the posts on this forum.

cheers.

Well, our experience with the Xsara has been great.

Extremely reliable, no wrattles the only issue is the squeaking brakes which is found with all Citroens :headbang:

After a while, you get used to the squeaking... it's so loud, that people think a truck is pulling up next to them :joker:

The mechanicals are tried and proven, remember, the Xsara range has been manufactured for 8yrs (?) now.

I'd give the Xsara 9.5/10 so far, (70,000kms, 2003 model :)). It's been used daily, tried and tested, no problems whatsoever, not even the odd wrattle.

I love the Xsara, more then the C4, which i paid approx 3 times more for!

plugger, in reference to this:

it looks like i would have worries in the repairs department if i didn't judging by the posts on this forum.

I wouldn't be put off by some of the comments made on forums. Put into perspective, they have a very low % of problems and if anything, seem to not carry the "Citroen Bogey' that many repairers have used for years. What can they say about them to scare owners to jack bills up? No hydraulics to use for frighteners, nothing too innovative in their suspension or mechanicals, they are just a good solid car.
Chris M in Sydney had one that he rattled up over 80K klms in a couple of years and to this day claims it to be the most reliable car he's ever owned ad he came from a Merc & I think it was Volvo family.
There are a couple of places anywhere that you live that can competantly handle service on French cars and if you have access to one of these, it may be better insurance than these extended warranties and the associated inflated "routine services" that I understand most insist on.

Alan S :2cents:

Go The Xsara VTS

I am one of the owners that have had trouble but, It is more the dealers fault and not the Car. Once they fix it properly I don't expect any more problems.

I love driving this Car. My previous car was a VR4 Galant AWD Turbo and that thing stuck like glue but the Xsara sticks just as well. not quite the same power in a streight line but it can carry speed through the corners & that counts more in my book.

Where are you looking at buying it from?

Cheers

Matt

plugger, in reference to this:

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">it looks like i would have worries in the repairs department if i didn't judging by the posts on this forum. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I wouldn't be put off by some of the comments made on forums. Put into perspective, they have a very low % of problems and if anything, seem to not carry the "Citroen Bogey' that many repairers have used for years. What can they say about them to scare owners to jack bills up? No hydraulics to use for frighteners, nothing too innovative in their suspension or mechanicals, they are just a good solid car.
Chris M in Sydney had one that he rattled up over 80K klms in a couple of years and to this day claims it to be the most reliable car he's ever owned ad he came from a Merc & I think it was Volvo family.
There are a couple of places anywhere that you live that can competantly handle service on French cars and if you have access to one of these, it may be better insurance than these extended warranties and the associated inflated "routine services" that I understand most insist on.

Alan S :2cents:
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I think the Xsara is a tried and tested citroen and it is very solid indeed. Driven one before and they are great. Only drawback i dont like is the whole "sea of black" dashboard.
Still great cars. Dont let forums stop you buying cars. If people looked at the site andyspares they would never own a French car.

I agree with alan 100% on this one....:cheers:

Despite the niggly persistant Anti Pollution faults and the interior rattles I am happy with my VTS. As Matt said, it does not have the straight line speed of something like a VR4 Turbo, but the engine still is a strong performer and that coupled with the great handling makes it a great car to drive.

Troy.