Finally worked out the koleos launch control

jo proffi

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I have always maintained that the fastest way to launch a koleos from a standstill is from a handbrake on position.

now I know why.

I ve been doing a bit of peak hour driving and noticed something about the behaviour of the car with the two different brakes, the foot brake vs the electric hand brake, and combining the two.

when the car is in drive with the hand brake on, it is in gear, power going to the wheels with the drive train loaded up…..the rear squatting and the front lifting a bit. Usual behaviour I’d have thought.

However, put your foot on the brake, and it drops into neutral, and the load on the drive train is relaxed as can be seen in the level evening out. Take your foot of the brake and the drive train loads up again, but held by the handbrake.
So when you boot it from the handbrake, it is all systems go.
when you boot it off the foot brake though, you are starting the drag race in neutral. The car is not in a drive gear, and first has to go into gear and then slowly decide that your foot crushing the go pedal is actualy serious….by which time, you may as well not even bother because a few seconds has now passed and the Tesla that was next to you is rapidly approaching 100 km/h and you haven’t even cracked it from the mark.
i don’t know if this is normal on modern cars and everyone knows this shit, but it came as a bit of a revelation to me today.

dunno Jo, never touch the switch except to swear at it for still being on, cos I forgot to flick it off, when I'm drifting out the driveway - cold idle works well reversing out the drive with the latitude, saves running over posties and other annoyances.
Seems to be interlocked with both pedals, with cold idle it won't come off unless I put my foot on the brake - or give it the 'erbs, which defeats the purpose....
Bob

Mate of mine did the load the transmission up with the brake on (auto transmission) for launch in his expensive V8 SUV. Did it 2 or 3 times before the car went into limp mode. He was advised at the workshop that the electronic brain was designed to protect his car from him.

I think most modern cars have a similar implementation of launch systems. Europeans seem to think one way, others, probably some other way. Fact is, my Kol is fine with it. That said, I don't launch it like I am trying to win a race, I just want it to move when I step on the throttle. Without this little trick, it takes at least a second before it moves.

Have you beaten many Tesla's in the Koleos ?

Cheers

Justin

Only when they don’t try or are looking at their phone. Same goes for almost any car.
I don’t beat the car, I beat the driver.