Favourite motorsport quote.

Warwick

1000+ Posts
This was by Raymond Roche, the French ex 500cc racer.
He said "I crashed into the chicken, and I broke the fingers of my feet."
Translation. the Chicane, and his toes.

Here are a few:

"Formula 1 should be the pinnacle of motor racing. It should have the minimum of parameters controlling performance. There are only four parameters which control a racing car; one is the power from the engine; the second is the aerodynamical download it can produce; the third is the amount of grip which can be obtained by the tyres and the fourth is the weight."

Colin Chapman

"His attitude to other drivers during a race leaves a certain amount to be desired. Pointless balking can only merit censure. He should remember that this sport can be lethal. Those who play with fire are sometimes themselves burnt" - A scarily prophectic

Louis Stanley on Lorenzo Bandini

"He seemed to have forgotten that he was no longer on a dirt track in Australia and insisted on coming round the corners sideways in a power slide" –

Stirling Moss on newboy Brabham

"His ability was so much greater than he ever revealed. He hardly ever drove to the limits of his capacity. He only used nine-tenths of his talent, which makes the gulf between him and other drivers even bigger" –

Colin Chapman on of course Jim Clark

Niki Lauda's reply to a group of tourists who were suprised to see him wandering around Bergwerk at the Nurburgring and questioned him as to his motives.

"Oh, I'm just looking for my ear."

"I never think I can hurt myself-not seriously. If you believe it can happen to you, how can you do this job? If you're never over eight-tenths, or whatever, because you're thinking about a shunt, you are not going as quick as you can. And if you re not doing that you 're not a racing driver. Some guys, in formula1... well to me, they're not racing drivers. They drive racing cars, thats all. They're doing half a job. And in that case, I wonder why they do it at all..."

Gilles Villeneuve

"Nürburgring was my favourite track. I fell totally in love with it and I believe that on that day in 1957 I finally managed to master it. It was as if I had screwed all the secrets out of it and got to know it once and for all. . . For two days I couldn't sleep, still making those leaps in the dark on those curves where I had never before had the courage to push things so far."

Juan Manuel Fangio

"I could never concentrate totally. I would find myself in the middle of a race thinking about the party we would have that night"

Innes Ireland

"That would be a bloody fantastic spectacle, I can tell you. We would take corners one gear lower than we do now, and get the cars sideways. You know, people still rave about Ronnie Peterson in a Lotus 72, and I understand that. I agree with them. That's the kind of entertainment I want to give the crowds. Smoke the tyres ! Yeah ! "

Gilles Villeneuve

.... Team draughtsman Martin Oglivie recalls Peterson going round lap after lap, proving the Lotus-Getrag gearbox, then suddenly going faster...'And when he came in we said, "Ah you've sorted out the selection problem", and he just smiled that slow smile and said, "No. I yust stopped you-sing the clutch."

"Monte Carlo, ’88, the last qualifying session. I was already on pole and I was going faster and faster. One lap after the other, quicker, and quicker, and quicker. I was at one stage just on pole, then by half a second, and then one second…and I kept going. Suddenly, I was nearly two seconds faster than anybody else, including my teammate with the same car. And I suddenly realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously."

"I was kind of driving it by instinct, only I was in a different dimension. It was like I was in a tunnel, not only the tunnel under the hotel, but the whole circuit for me was a tunnel. I was just going, going – more, and more, and more, and more. I was way over the limit, but still able to find even more. Then, suddenly, something just kicked me. I kind of woke up and I realized that I was in a different atmosphere than you normally are. Immediately my reaction was to back off, slow down. I drove slowly to the pits and I didn’t want to go out any more that day."

"It frightened me because I realized I was well beyond my conscious understanding. It happens rarely, but I keep these experiences very much alive in me because it is something that is important for self-preservation."

Ayrton Senna

Cheers,

Cal. :drivin:

In the biography of Ayrton Senna that was released to coincide with the 10th aniversary of his death is the most haunting quote ever in my opinion.

The page after the index is this quote:
"If I ever happen to have an accident that eventually costs me my life, I hope it is in one go. I would not like to be in a wheelchair. I would not like to be in a hospital suffering from whatever injury it was. If I am going to live, I want to live fully. Very intensley, because I am an intense person. It would ruin my life if I had to live partially."

Ayrton Senna
Estoril, Portugal
January, 1994
Every time I read this quote it sends a chill down my spine. It was a prophecy that unfortunately came true only a few months later.

In a happier note: My favourite quote is any one of a dozen "walkerisms" I have put a few below

"He's obviously gone in for a wheel change. I say obviously because I can't see it"

"With half the race gone, there is half the race still to go"

"Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?"

"Anything happens in Grand Prix racing and it usually does"

"Alboreto has dropped back up to fifth place"

"As you look at the first four, the significant thing is that Alboreto is 5th"

"I can't imagine what kind of problem Senna has. I imagine it must be some sort of grip problem"

"He is shedding buckets of adrenalin in that car" "It's raining and the track is wet"

Got these from www.worldmotorsport.com/murray/

Another Murrayism

"The lead car is absolutely unique, except for the one behind it, which is identical."

Some of Dick Johnson's were pretty good. One that seemed funny at the time was when he did a deal to swap a Commodore that he had bought on the spot from the Garry Rodgers team (I think) for Andrew Harris's Falcon after Dick's monumental crash into the trees in the green Falcon.
Andrew's car had a very poor reputation, the original owner Bob Morris had completely failed to get to grips with it, and Dicks' opinion on race day was that "It was such a dog that they should have left it chained to the fence"

On the other hand Andrew was more than happy with the Commodore!

Graham Wallis

when geoghan was interviewed after his car had thrown a rod out and took out the alternator he was asked what happened to the car

his reply was "it has a slight electrical problem"

another one i can't recall who right now but he had a stutter was asked what was wrong with his car after it broke down during a race said

"the car is fu fu fu fu"

they cut him off for some reason :roflmao:

"they need their heads examined...." paul tracy mid 2001, refering to cart officials.
" here comes the yellow ferrari of Micheal Shumacher..." murray walker 1999 season.
"your a pack of arseholes..." Jim richards at bathurts.
"when you get old and frightened you step down to top fullers..." Force to Pedragon at the 2000 winternationals.
....but action speaks louder than words. mark skaife's body language to Russel Ingall last round 2003!
chris

I always used to love Murrays commentry, I remember him always saying...

"Unless I'm very much mistaken...And I am very much mistaken!! ..."