Famous Renault owners

daniel the r12 nut

Fellow Frogger
Ok guys for all us french car nuts as some of u may or may not now i work for a Renault dealer in melbourne .
At work today we had a very interesting customer one famous for his Bathurst Targa tasmania exploits amongist other thing.
You guessed it gentlemen jim richards owns his own series 2 clio sport with a few tweeks done do it.
He bought it as his fun daily driver car and loves it to bits so im wondering how many other famous Racing drivers in aust have a hot hatch or 2 in there shed lol

daniel the r12 nut said:
Ok guys for all us french car nuts as some of u may or may not now i work for a Renault dealer in melbourne .
At work today we had a very interesting customer one famous for his Bathurst Targa tasmania exploits amongist other thing.
You guessed it gentlemen jim richards owns his own series 2 clio sport with a few tweeks done do it.
He bought it as his fun daily driver car and loves it to bits so im wondering how many other famous Racing drivers in aust have a hot hatch or 2 in there shed lol

what are those tweaks? And di you ask him for a ride in his race winning car?

the mods mmm noticeable were 17 inch rims
eibach springs
no exhaust mods
induction had something done not obvious what is done sounds awesome and goes real real hard
had back seat loadedwith porsche stuff

daniel the r12 nut said:

I am doing a two day porsche advanced driving course at eastern creek in a couple of weeks. As far as I know Jim will be instructing along with Steven Richards, Alex Davison, Thomas Mezzera and other Carrera Cup guys so I'll be sure to ask him about his rs clio too. Funny though, I would have thought him to be a 996 turbo kind of guy, given he must surely be one of the best drivers of such in the world.

daniel the r12 nut said:

Don't know about the present but I read that back in the 1950s the Geoghan brothers imported a racing Renault 750. Often wondered what happened to it.

JohnW

The Geoghegan brothers also raced a R1093 (a factory modified sports Dauphine - prior to the Gordini version). It was quite successful for a while, from memory.

Lets not forget that Jenson Button also had a V6 Williams Clio as his "runabout".

Cheers,
Kim.

KIMDEB said:
The Geoghegan brothers also raced a R1093 (a factory modified sports Dauphine - prior to the Gordini version). It was quite successful for a while, from memory.

Lets not forget that Jenson Button also had a V6 Williams Clio as his "runabout".

Cheers,
Kim.

Kim,

This means they brought two in, does it? I thought they had an early 5-speed 750 (R1063?). I'd dearly love to know what happened to these cars.

Does anyone have any idea?

JohnW

JohnW said:
Kim,

This means they brought two in, does it? I thought they had an early 5-speed 750 (R1063?). I'd dearly love to know what happened to these cars.

Does anyone have any idea?

JohnW

Ira Berks advertised in 1956 that a limited number of 1063's were available for export from France at 1125 pounds with 5 speed, there was also a Wheels test of a RHD version. (Price comparison; Renault 750, 781 pounds, Holden Special 1044 pounds, Ford Zephyr 1145 pounds)

The Geoghagen 1093 ended up being ineligible for production car events because it was not sold in Australia. However I'd say the car is no longer, as 1093 parts have popped up in the past, but not a complete car.

Simon said:
Ira Berks advertised in 1956 that a limited number of 1063's were available for export from France at 1125 pounds with 5 speed, there was also a Wheels test of a RHD version. (Price comparison; Renault 750, 781 pounds, Holden Special 1044 pounds, Ford Zephyr 1145 pounds)

The Geoghagen 1093 ended up being ineligible for production car events because it was not sold in Australia. However I'd say the car is no longer, as 1093 parts have popped up in the past, but not a complete car.

Thanks Simon - I presumed you'd respond!

I'd forgotten that Wheels test. I suspect you're right, that if either of these cars came here, we've lost them. Pity.

JohnW