Facel Vega

paulb said:
Not sure if I'm operating this correctly... new to Aussiefrogs. Very keen to know more about this Facel Vega. I own a 1959 HK500 in Perth (I'm mentioned further back in this thread) and am keen to get contacts, details and photos of all Facel Vegas in Australia. I have details of 13 examples currently in Australia, but this car at the FCF is new to me. Does anyone have any owner details or photos? Any help would be appreciated. PAUL BLANK (Facel Vega HK500, ex-owner Citroen DS21, 1D19, CX GTi, GS, GS Wagon, Renault 16, 17 Cabrio, Fuego, Peugeot 104, 204). paulb@classicrally.com.au

Sorry, can't help with details of the Facel Vega's owner.
You may remember that you contacted me before the Redex Rerun about entering a 404. The event was very successful and we are now commemmorating 50 years since the 403 win in the 1956 Ampol Trial. This event will occur in April and May next year, maybe see you there?
Graham

paulb said:
Not sure if I'm operating this correctly... new to Aussiefrogs. Very keen to know more about this Facel Vega. I own a 1959 HK500 in Perth (I'm mentioned further back in this thread) and am keen to get contacts, details and photos of all Facel Vegas in Australia. I have details of 13 examples currently in Australia, but this car at the FCF is new to me. Does anyone have any owner details or photos? Any help would be appreciated. PAUL BLANK (Facel Vega HK500, ex-owner Citroen DS21, 1D19, CX GTi, GS, GS Wagon, Renault 16, 17 Cabrio, Fuego, Peugeot 104, 204). paulb@classicrally.com.au

Hi Paul,

There is also a red one in Perth, I saw it about 12 months ago when it was sitting in Williamson's Garage which is located in Guildford Road Maylands. I believe it had been there for a few months while the guys were doing some mechanical work on it during their slack moments, might be worth talking to them?

Regards

JP (ex Rancho Owner)

panhard said:
Hi Paul,

There is also a red one in Perth, I saw it about 12 months ago when it was sitting in Williamson's Garage which is located in Guildford Road Maylands. I believe it had been there for a few months while the guys were doing some mechanical work on it during their slack moments, might be worth talking to them?

Regards

JP (ex Rancho Owner)

Hi JP,

Thanks for your reply. I do know this red car, it is a 1957 FVS, the oldest Facel in Australia - and one of 5 Facels in WA. It was imported from Hawaii in 1990 and has since moved from where you saw it. Engine and transmission have just been rebuilt, but it still needs a fair amount of work. Let me know if you see any others anywhere. Same for anyone interstate - chasing details on any Facel Vegas in the country.

I have been given contact details for the owner of the car at the FCF in Melbourne. Many thanks.

Regards,
Paul

The first Facel Vega HK 500 was bought into WA in 60s by Leo Booy for Ron Lindsay a real estate developer. He was also a top speed boat driver and at one stage held open Aussie record set on the Swan.
The car was one owner and was purchased from top Dutch businessman together with a beautiful Alfa Guiletta.
It had very lows ks and was converted to RH drive by Terry Priestly who had a conversion business in GT. Eastern H'way opposite what is now the Perth Domestic Airport entrance.
Leo imported quite a few cars icluding Cadillacs, Pontiac Bonnevilles and also a Porsche Super 90 which was raced by Bob Biltoft in I think the 1962 Six Hour at Caversham.
I can't remember year but this Facel had the Bentley chassis and that big Chrysler which was standard. It was very quick!!
Ron only kept it for a short time -as was usual with his toys- but later had a beautiful De Thomas Pantera. I drove this as pace car for a 300 race at Wanneroo as the race had to be restarted every 50 laps due to the then CAMS regulations.
It was entered but in testing I ran out of brakes after about 10 laps. The front discs would actually bend. Ron eventually made new disc rotors and this cured the problem but he was tired of it by then.

facel vega

Westair said:
The first Facel Vega HK 500 was bought into WA in 60s by Leo Booy for Ron Lindsay a real estate developer. He was also a top speed boat driver and at one stage held open Aussie record set on the Swan.
The car was one owner and was purchased from top Dutch businessman together with a beautiful Alfa Guiletta.
It had very lows ks and was converted to RH drive by Terry Priestly who had a conversion business in GT. Eastern H'way opposite what is now the Perth Domestic Airport entrance.
Leo imported quite a few cars icluding Cadillacs, Pontiac Bonnevilles and also a Porsche Super 90 which was raced by Bob Biltoft in I think the 1962 Six Hour at Caversham.
I can't remember year but this Facel had the Bentley chassis and that big Chrysler which was standard. It was very quick!!
Ron only kept it for a short time -as was usual with his toys- but later had a beautiful De Thomas Pantera. I drove this as pace car for a 300 race at Wanneroo as the race had to be restarted every 50 laps due to the then CAMS regulations.
It was entered but in testing I ran out of brakes after about 10 laps. The front discs would actually bend. Ron eventually made new disc rotors and this cured the problem but he was tired of it by then.

I actually saw this car during the conversion stage at Terry Priestly's workshop and I must admit it was a beginning of a love affair, but unfortunately the little lady was too classy for a mere peasant like me, but we can still dream on!

I'm pretty sure that was the same car which was involved in the fatal hit and run accident about 30 years ago, when the only Facel Vega in Perth killed the wife of a well know billard champion as she crossed Guildford road. They arrested the guy the next day.

JP

panhard said:
I actually saw this car during the conversion stage at Terry Priestly's workshop and I must admit it was a beginning of a love affair, but unfortunately the little lady was too classy for a mere peasant like me, but we can still dream on!

I'm pretty sure that was the same car which was involved in the fatal hit and run accident about 30 years ago, when the only Facel Vega in Perth killed the wife of a well know billard champion as she crossed Guildford road. They arrested the guy the next day.

JP

It was same car- I think it had a couple owners after Ron sold it.
The accident was in Guildford road just up from Mt. Lawley subway

Westair said:
It was same car- I think it had a couple owners after Ron sold it.
The accident was in Guildford road just up from Mt. Lawley subway

That's my car. It's interesting how the stories grow and change with time. I've heard some beauties over the years. It was involved in the accident on Guildford Road, the year was 1970. I've spoken with family of the deceased lady, the tow truck driver who took away the car and others. Also spoken with Terry Priestly who did the RHD conversion. The car was imported from Switzerland in 1964, along with a Lincoln. I have much of its history, but anything else anyone knows would be greatly appreciated.

Only the first handful of Facel cars had a Bentley chassis, certainly none in Australia do. I saw one of these very rare and beautiful Facel Bentleys at the Villa d'Este concorso d'eleganza at Lake Como in Italy a couple of years ago.

Any Aussie Facel Vega info will be welcomed...

PB

paulb said:
That's my car. It's interesting how the stories grow and change with time. I've heard some beauties over the years. It was involved in the accident on Guildford Road, the year was 1970. I've spoken with family of the deceased lady, the tow truck driver who took away the car and others. Also spoken with Terry Priestly who did the RHD conversion. The car was imported from Switzerland in 1964, along with a Lincoln. I have much of its history, but anything else anyone knows would be greatly appreciated.

Only the first handful of Facel cars had a Bentley chassis, certainly none in Australia do. I saw one of these very rare and beautiful Facel Bentleys at the Villa d'Este concorso d'eleganza at Lake Como in Italy a couple of years ago.

Any Aussie Facel Vega info will be welcomed...

PB

HI Paul,
You have private message with contact to original importer.

Facel Vega.

Came across a small story in the Oct. '91 issue of the The Automobile.

The company, "Pont A Mousson" who made gearboxes for Facel Vega cars previously made cast iron street drain grilles. The name "Pont A Mousson" can be seen on the example in the story. :wink2:

Wildebeest said:
Came across a small story in the Oct. '91 issue of the The Automobile.

The company, "Pont A Mousson" who made gearboxes for Facel Vega cars previously made cast iron street drain grilles. The name "Pont A Mousson" can be seen on the example in the story. :wink2:

These Pont A Mousson drain covers can still be seen in many towns in France, in various styles and sizes - whenever I'm there it's a nice little reminder of a great marque long gone. The drain covers were far more robust than the manual gearboxes or Facellia engines they built...

On another Facel note; some years ago I met Stirling Moss who'd famously owned a Facel Vega HK500. When I asked him his recollections of the car he told me that while he changed cars very often, he'd kept the Facel for years because "it was great for driving fast between races on the Continent".

PB

Facellia

paulb said:
These Pont A Mousson drain covers can still be seen in many towns in France, in various styles and sizes - whenever I'm there it's a nice little reminder of a great marque long gone. The drain covers were far more robust than the manual gearboxes or Facellia engines they built...

On another Facel note; some years ago I met Stirling Moss who'd famously owned a Facel Vega HK500. When I asked him his recollections of the car he told me that while he changed cars very often, he'd kept the Facel for years because "it was great for driving fast between races on the Continent".

PB
Hi Paul,

Did you ever get the see the Facellia that was for sale at All American in Osborne Park about four years back. The car was minus the motor but in fairly good nick otherwise.

JP.

Facel and Pont a Mousson

Paul B,
Further to my piece on the Pont a Mousson drain covers.
I went through my French/English. English/French dictionary today to see if they had anything under "mousson". It means monsoon. As we all know "pont" means bridge."sur le Pont de Paris" .

Drawing a very long bow I've put these together and have come up with "monsoon bridge". Shuffling this around you could come up with "bridge over storm"? The bow now at full stretch, this now becomes "storm drain cover".
Are you with me.
:cheers: Wildebeest.

Spoke to Leo who bought WA Facel Vega into country. He thinks he has some old photos which he will try and find for PaulB.
Car was originally black

I used to know Maurice Brockwell, WA resident and now deceased, who owned a Facel Vega. Was that the car now owned by paulb? If not, can anyone tell me what became of his car?

GeorgeC

Hi JP,

Sorry about the very slow reply. I've been away in France and just got back in time for our first child to be born, so been busy...

Yes, I do know the Facellia, assuming it's the silver convertible. The only Facellia in Australia. It came from the USA some years ago and is now running and licensed, but in average condition. It's been fitted with a (later than correct) Volvo engine.

PB

panhard said:
Hi Paul,

Did you ever get the see the Facellia that was for sale at All American in Osborne Park about four years back. The car was minus the motor but in fairly good nick otherwise.

JP.

Westair said:
Spoke to Leo who bought WA Facel Vega into country. He thinks he has some old photos which he will try and find for PaulB.
Car was originally black

Hi,
I emailed Leo a while back but have had no response. Really do hope he has some old photos and info on the car! Yes, it was originally black and as far as I know, it was repainted metallic burgundy around 1970. Any other info on the car would be greatly appreciated.

PaulB

geecee said:
I used to know Maurice Brockwell, WA resident and now deceased, who owned a Facel Vega. Was that the car now owned by paulb? If not, can anyone tell me what became of his car?

GeorgeC

Hi George,
I bought my Facel Vega from Maurice. He had two of them at one stage. A friend of mine now has the other, and it's under restoration.

PaulB

paulb said:
Hi,
I emailed Leo a while back but have had no response. Really do hope he has some old photos and info on the car! Yes, it was originally black and as far as I know, it was repainted metallic burgundy around 1970. Any other info on the car would be greatly appreciated.

PaulB

Hi Paul,
Leo may be away- he was going to Tassie sometime after I last spoke to him.
Taking M3 for drive.

paulb said:
Hi George,
I bought my Facel Vega from Maurice. He had two of them at one stage. A friend of mine now has the other, and it's under restoration.

PaulB

Thanks for that advice, Paul. I'd often wondered what became of his car (didn't realise 2) and had been hoping it had gone to good hands.

Cheers

Ray Bell said:
That's right, it was the Iso...

Yes I think you may have been thinking about the Iso Rivolta that is run by Graham Hooper. He has owned about half of Australia's Rivolta population at some stage or another. I went close to nearly buying one from him a couple of years ago. Lovely cars.