F1 question.

OUI OUI!!

Tadpole
Hey all,

Does anyone remember this?
A long time ago, (about 10-15 yrs ago) on Wide World of Sports, they showed a brilliant video clip of an F1 team doing an engine dyno test with one of their F1 V10 engines (either Renault or Peugeot). Basically, they stuck the engine in a booth, and sat a test driver in another room. The two rooms were separated by a glass wall. The driver would sit in a special chair with an F1 steering wheel, gear lever, pedals, the works, and put the engine through its paces. Possibly the greatest footage of F1 engine dyno ever. Has anyone seen this, or know of where to buy or download this video. :confused:

Thanks.

I've got a copy of the video. It was released by RenaultSport through dealers and is called 438 Secondes pour un Titre by Patrick Chaput. The full video is a brilliant 17 minutes showing the manufacturing process of the Williams Renault.

Unfortunately I don't have the facilities to copy video. What does anyone know about whether a commercial place would copy it onto DVD despite copyright?

I actually decided to share this great video with Aussiefroggers only a month ago and tested a USB video copying gizmo on my PC, but it was shite.
Stuey

Hope you succeed Stuey! Anyone correct me if I'm wrong but copyright should be OK if its not for commercial purposes. Haven't seen it since about 1992??? Bloody fantastic! I'd possibly have contacts for you, but not in Perth...and I wouldn't trust an only copy to the vaguaries of post...

We have a DVD viewer and burner hooked up to our TV set here, and there's a DVD writer/reader in the stepson's computer as well. This is the setup you need to copy from video to DVD and then to put it onto the computer and even onto the net.

Expensive gear, but it's useful...

Guys, I'll get it done eventually. I'd really like to share this video. As those that have seen it know, the build up to that dyno scene gets the hair on the back of your neck going!

Another amazing part is the clinical workshop with those precision machines working on pistons etc. And then there's Mecachrome's foundry scenes. It's pure artistry...

To me, this era signalled the end of decent F1 racing, too, so it means something.

Stuey

Hi there,

Thanks for reminding me of that video.

I also have a copy, and for me, it generates the same level of excitement as the "Climb Dance" video featuring Ari Vartinen as he propels his 405T16 up Pikes Peak, setting a new record.

Great videos if you have a home theatre system.

Cheers,
Kim.

Wow!

You guys have got me salivating. I've got to see this video, and sooner rather than later. I will happily pay for your time and postage if anyone manages to burn a copy.

Please keep this thread alive.

Ditto!

frogs4ever said:
Wow!

You guys have got me salivating. I've got to see this video, and sooner rather than later. I will happily pay for your time and postage if anyone manages to burn a copy.

Please keep this thread alive.

There's also currently a vid on the Renault F1 site...
only a few minutes long... but glowing zorst looks nice ;)

Video

Likewise I will pay for this video.

This dyno test sounds absolutely fantastic!

Guys, I'll get it done eventually. I'd really like to share this video. As those that have seen it know, the build up to that dyno scene gets the hair on the back of your neck going!

Another amazing part is the clinical workshop with those precision machines working on pistons etc. And then there's Mecachrome's foundry scenes. It's pure artistry...

To me, this era signalled the end of decent F1 racing, too, so it means something.

Stuey
Hi Stuey

This is going to be a blast from the past, but I came across this forum discussion after searching for '438 secondes pour un titre'. I'm producing a new documentary on the story of Damon Hill. We're hunting for footage of Damon and I spotted a few rare seconds of him driving a Williams in 1992 in this Renault film. Obviously this would have been in his test driving days for Williams and as far as we can see this is some of the only footage of him driving the FW14.

I wonder if in the 20 years since this forum thread was first written if you'd had the opportunity to digitise the copy of the film you own and if you'd be able to send a copy over?

Paddy

Just to complete this thread, here is the video "438 Secondes Pour Un Titre"

Thanks Col, yeah I’d seen this upload on YouTube. I’m hoping I can find someone with it in a slightly higher quality if I can. The YouTube clip looks like it may have been through a few exports and it won’t hold up to use in our film unfortunately.

Reactions: COL
Thanks Col, yeah I’d seen this upload on YouTube. I’m hoping I can find someone with it in a slightly higher quality if I can. The YouTube clip looks like it may have been through a few exports and it won’t hold up to use in our film unfortunately.
I also noticed the sound quality was pretty average as well.

Thank you guys for bringing back times when F1 was very interesting. I had seen the Youtube many years ago and it still has relevance. Those were cars that had relevance to cars on the road, not the over imaginative things of today.

When I worked at Silverstone for Fred Goddard, I would go and have my lunch sitting on the embankment at Maggotts. That made my day every time. And that was in 2002.

Thanks,
Ray