F1: BMW buy Sauber

Brad

Fellow Frogger
Very interesting

"BMW will enter their own Formula One team in the 2006 world championship after buying a majority share in Sauber, it was announced on Wednesday. The German carmaker also wants to continue supplying engines to current partner Williams.

In a press conference at their Munich headquarters, BMW’s Motorsport Director, Dr Mario Thiessen, sat alongside team principal Peter Sauber, revealed details of the new agreement, which will come into effect at the start of January, 2006.

BMW is acquiring shares from Peter Sauber and will successively take over those held by long-time Sauber backers, Credit Suisse, by the end of 2008. Peter Sauber will retain a stake in the team and will assist BMW as an adviser, but withdraw from his operational responsibilities........"

Read more here
http://www.formula1.com/news/3215.html

there are rumours that Williams will want to use either toyota or maybe go back to using Renault engines :headbang:

n b j said:
there are rumours that Williams will want to use either toyota or maybe go back to using Renault engines :headbang:

I've heard Cosworth, but Renault would be awesome - the French Connection, and also they're close to being the best engine out there at the moment. Definitely the torquiest.

BMW still wan't to supply to Williams, but its a bitter pill for frank to swallow.
I thin the 'naults or the 'yotas are the better engines this year. - Chris

Don't see why BMW, Ferrari, Toyota or Renault want to supply Williams - Williams are one of their main rivals!

Nor do I see why Honda would want to supply them, seeing as Honda will most likely buy out BAR at some stage in the future.

Perhaps in the short term the BMW partnership will continue but cannot see it being long term.

I'd think Williams would have to turn to Cosworth eventually - and especially with the V8 regs coming in, they have a brilliant knowledge database and extensive proven success with that configuration.

It didn't warrant a new thread and it's somewhat related...

Toyota has announced that it will be pulling out of the IRL Series after next year and follows General Motor's pullout of the series after this season. This leaves Honda as the sole supplier of engines in 2007.

I guess once you've seen one oval race, you've seen them all... :joker:

Back on topic, Williams must decide on an engine supplier and fast as they can't finalize the design of next years car until engine specifications are known, they actually form a structural component. Engine manufacturers wouldn't shy away from from supplying as it's not free and they get more real world data. I suspect they'll end up sticking with BMW but who knows... maybe Frank's trying to talk Porsche back into Formula One. :D

Rich

Last edited:
I can see why an engine manufacturer would want to supply at least one other team as it would allow them twice the testing time to get it right. Doubt it would be ferrari but perhaps toyota might come to the party.

Brad said:
I can see why an engine manufacturer would want to supply at least one other team as it would allow them twice the testing time to get it right. Doubt it would be ferrari but perhaps toyota might come to the party.

That is a good point but given Toyota's budget, they can probably afford millions of km testing with multiple cars.

If anyone needs the mileage it would most likely be Renault - but can't see that happening. Merc could do with it also...

PLAYLIFE said:
Merc could do with it also...
You mean Ilmor,.. there not real merc engines, Ilmor make nearly all of it under contract... either way their not the best engines.
It would be a dreamy thing if Porsche did make a come back,.....
one more spanner in the works, Peugeot Williams any one (remember PSA pull out of WRC)..... - Chris

Peugeot - Williams

one more spanner in the works, Peugeot Williams any one (remember PSA pull out of WRC).....

Yes that's true Chris, but Peugeot have announced that they are going back to LeMans Group C racers. They intend to win it outright but using a deisel engine. No doubt they expect to get major marketing cudos if the pull it off.

David M said:
Yes that's true Chris, but Peugeot have announced that they are going back to LeMans Group C racers. They intend to win it outright but using a deisel engine. No doubt they expect to get major marketing cudos if the pull it off.

oohhh, there's a bit of goss i've missed out on!!! - Chris

ps, I know its controversy but i love all this boat rocking that one little F1 race is causing..... hehehe.

What about Renault selling engines to Williams, but branding them as Nissan to help fight the reputation that Toyota and Honda have generated in F1 ???

What reputation?
they advertise it a lot, but i dont think there's really a reputation... just a few folk repeating the ads etc...

Williams Renault... mmmm certainly would be good to hammer the BMW 120 yuppies with 2 Renault teams :)

Do Renault need more testing? well they are ahead & currently do very minimal... they're efficient enough! maybe Ferrari should supply engines (Supertec style) & Bridgestone tyres! LOL

Nate - think of Honda's reputation as a car manufacturer in 1984..

..and think of it now.

You don't think that there multiple success in F1 has helped their image?

unfortunately i was only 4, so didnt do a lot of thinking about Honda ;)

Valid point though, i was more thinking about the current average Honda buyer & if they even watch F1... i'd put money on the fact that BMW drivers think a lot more about F1 (& they dont perform as well...!)