F1 Australian GP last weekend (30/3-02/4/2023).

Fordman

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
The weekend was generally pretty good IMO, the GP race was going well until the last 2 red flags. I can almost understand the first red flag earlier in the race for gravel over the track - hmmm, but to red flag with 2 laps to go was just courting disaster, and it did. More farcical than 2021 Abu Dhabi. What the heck is wrong with finishing under the safety car anyway? And what happened to the old rule which suited for many years, if red flagged after 70% of race completed the race is ended. Mind you they only used red flag when really necessary back then, track basically had to be blocked. OK, allowing for more red flag use for track marshal safety as is the modern way (rightfully), then what about 90%, and call it at that?
If you didn't see it, there was a red flag restart with 2 laps to go, which predictably resulted in a further red flag incident involving multiple cars, from which the survivors completed the last lap basically behind the safety car, after starting from pit lane. Just ridiculous.
Some survivors benefited, eg, McLarens of Norris and Piastri, made no difference to the first three positions, and probably a million dollars damage.

My interest was taken by the F2 and F3 racing and qualifying. 30 F3 cars on track, and so competitive. F2 not as many but good racing also.
I knew that Jack Doohan was in F2 - and he did OK - but I did not know we had 3 Aussies in F3, it was an eye-opener for me. I enjoyed it.

My other gripe, and I've had this for many years, maybe even going back to Adelaide 1985, is that the vintage racing/sports car processions do not get shown in the TV broadcasts. Having attended a few of these meetings, and now knowing what is happening on the track, while GP or Supercars commentators are crapping on about some boring side issue, is very frustrating. Obviously these displays don't come under any commercial profi-making banner, so no telecast.

But there you go. :cool: :cool: