F1 - 2022 - More on F1 silly season

FIA's contract recognition board is said to have validated Piastari's McLaren contract, which would mean that Ricciardo is out. Will he be going back to Alpine? Otmar Szafnauer has said it could be possible for Ricciardo to return to Alpine:- https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...er-admits-Daniel-Ricciardo-return-Alpine.html

Alfa could be a possibility, but Ferrari have a say on the second driver, which is claimed to be part of the Ferrari engine supply contract to Alfa and I cant see them ditching Bottas in favour of Ricciardo.

I cant see him wanting to go to HAAS, although he would be a great coup for HAAS..

Red Bull didn't want Vettel back, so they probably would not want Ricciardo back either.

Alpha Tauri would be going back to where he started, so cant see that happening either.

Williams is currently the slowest car in the field, so I don't think that would be attractive yet, although with the injection of funds they have had, they could see some improvement.

FIA's contract recognition board is said to have validated Piastari's McLaren contract, which would mean that Ricciardo is out. Will he be going back to Alpine? Otmar Szafnauer has said it could be possible for Ricciardo to return to Alpine:- https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...er-admits-Daniel-Ricciardo-return-Alpine.html

Alfa could be a possibility, but Ferrari have a say on the second driver, which is claimed to be part of the Ferrari engine supply contract to Alfa and I cant see them ditching Bottas in favour of Ricciardo.

I cant see him wanting to go to HAAS, although he would be a great coup for HAAS..

Red Bull didn't want Vettel back, so they probably would not want Ricciardo back either.

Alpha Tauri would be going back to where he started, so cant see that happening either.

Williams is currently the slowest car in the field, so I don't think that would be attractive yet, although with the injection of funds they have had, they could see some improvement.

I always felt there was something not quite right with Mark Webber and formula one and it seems he's passing that trait onto young Oscar!

My understanding is that Oscar was a free agent after 31 of July as per his contract with Alpine and FIA ruling seems to support this. It seems Alpine dropped the ball on this one. The one interesting aspect is that Alonso let Alpine believe that he would re-sign with them, which meant that Alpine believed that they did not have a seat for Oscar. Alpine found out about Alonso's move from Aston announcement, which was after the 31 July, when I believe Oscar became a free agent. The timing of Alonso transfer announcement played a crucial role in how this matter played out.

It seems there could be trouble brewing inside Alpine:- https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/1...am-as-he-exits-advisory-role-amid-restructure

My understanding is that Ricciardo has a contract with McLaren till the end of 2023.

I wonder how this is being managed?

My understanding is that Ricciardo has a contract with McLaren till the end of 2023.

I wonder how this is being managed?
He has a contract until end of 2022, with an option for another twelve months in Daniels favour. If Daniel exercises that option and does not get a drive, he can sit out 2023 and collect some $20 million for breach of contract by McLaren. McLaren have given him until September to exercise that option or not. If Daniel moves off his own accord and does not exercise his option for 2023, it will cost McLaren nothing, but gives him the best drive option for 2023 (as he can make decision quickly) if he wants to continue driving. If Daniel waits until he gets sacked my McLaren, he could jeopardise his options for 2023. Open seats can sometimes get filled quickly. There are apparently four teams that are chasing Daniel for 2023 and the are most probably Alpine, HAAS, Alfa and Williams

Edit:-
If Daniel exercises his option with McLaren to drive with them in 2023 and McLaren sack him and he then finds another seat, McLaren will be out of pocket for only the difference is Daniels new salary is less than his McLaren contract salary for 2023 (assuming the new contract will be for less)

Last edited:
Ran out of edit time to include this in the above post

Mark Webber is managing young Oscar.

Blake Friend manages Daniel

It would seem this mob also has a something to do with Daniels affair

Well its official. F1 Contract Recognition Board has decided that the Piastri/McLaren contract stands. Alpine have accepted the ruling. Interestingly the contract was actually signed 4 July, Monday after the British GP and interestingly 7 weeks before McLaren finalised the Ricciardo exit. Apparently Alpine knew of the Piastri move, which they denied earlier (other sources claim Piastri camp advised Alpine before the signing). Looks like both Alpine and McLaren have need underhanded, Alpine towards Piastri and McLaren towards Ricciardo

Russell Ingall was on the money in that episode of E & D, saying that Piastri would be with McLaren in 2023, and I had to watch through the episode to see when it was recorded, at first I thought it must have been last Saturday following the F1 CRB decision Friday night. But that episode was recorded before the Sandown Supercars a few weeks ago, so Ingall had some good inside info.
I must say I was on Alpine's side, having the earlier contract, until I looked further into it after the CRB decision in favour of McLaren, and find that in fact Alpine never had a signed contract with Piastri to drive in 2023. Alpine faffed around for the first 6 months of 2022, and only had "intentions", with nothing in writing, and until Alonso pulled out, it looked like Piastri wouldn't have a drive anyway. So you can't blame Piastri/Webber for looking elsewhere.
Next chapter to see what Ricciardo does now.
Interesting.

Piastri was nurtured by Alpine, educated at Alpine expense and raced at Alpine's expense. They have done an awful lot for him. Loyalty is fairly obviously not one of the subjects he majored in. I'm sure he will enjoy spending many happy seasons with his new third rate team!

Loyalty is very admirable attribute and one that I personally value highly. I think that loyalty will be something only seen very rarely in the cut throat world of F1 and even then only if otherwise convenient.

Piastri was a Alpine test reserve driver for 2022 and as far as I know, tested for Alpine, but did not race. With nothing concrete in place he was at risk of having sit out another year basically on the sidelines as far as racing goes. How long can one do that in the prime of their life before they start losing their edge. In my opinion, Alpine dropped the ball and were very clumsy and untruthful in trying to recover from their own ineptitude.

Last edited:
Piastri was nurtured by Alpine, educated at Alpine expense and raced at Alpine's expense. They have done an awful lot for him. Loyalty is fairly obviously not one of the subjects he majored in. I'm sure he will enjoy spending many happy seasons with his new third rate team!
This is exactly how I felt until on Saturday when I read this article:

By their own admission, Alpine failed to follow through on deadlines for many months. According to Ingall in the Enforcer & the Dude video, the financial contribution to Piastri's "apprenticeship" was minimal compared to the other financial backers of Piastri.

The comments now are whether Piastri will match or even outperform Lando Norris in the McLaren team. Next year will tell.

On another note - watching Indycars this year - and how different it is to F1. Obviously not the outright speed of F1, but so competitive. And watching today I noted that they actually still sound like cars, albeit very high revving, and the simplicity of it all without the hybrid bulldust of slowing to recharge, etc, and the associated mechanical failures. Finding it quite watchable.

Cheers.

I'm not sure Russell Ingall ever reached the giddy heights of Formula 1, either as a driver, a sponsor, car builder or commentary expert. But Hey, I'd believe him! o_O

I'm not sure Russell Ingall ever reached the giddy heights of Formula 1, either as a driver, a sponsor, car builder or commentary expert. But Hey, I'd believe him! o_O

Maybe this guy might meet some of your criteria, Kim, but who is to say this wasn't just made up? :)

"Oscar Piastri's manager Mark Webber has accused Alpine of exaggerating the investment it has made in the soon-to-be McLaren driver.
Piastri will make his F1 debut as Lando Norris' team-mate after the Contract Recognition Board ruled the Woking-based outfit had the only valid deal with the 21-year-old Australian.
Throughout the process, Piastri has been levelled with claims of a lack of integrity from Otmar Szafnauer, with the Alpine team principal suggesting millions had been spent on providing the reigning F2 champion with a launchpad through the Academy and with private test runs.
But disputing Szafnauer's comments, former race winner Webber told Channel 4 in his role as a pundit: "The numbers have been really ballooned out of proportion.
"The summer break has given people a chance to throw millions and millions and millions. It is certainly not that.
"The junior categories, Oscar got some good prize money for winning those championships as well, outside of Alpine's investment.
"So over 80 per cent of the budget was supplied by outside sponsors and Oscar's family for his junior career and the Academy, so it is also important to get some context there.""

Full article:

Cheers.

I have just a little more time for Otmar Szafnauer than world famous Mark Webber (Oscar Piastri's stage manager) who has just one more win than Daniel Ricciardo.....