F1 - 2021 - Imola - this could actually end up being interesting - Spoiler alert

FIVEDOOR

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Qualifying results for Imola. Perez threw down the gauntlet and qualified second behind Hamilton by merest of margins of 0.035 s with Verstappen further 0.052 s behind in third.

I think would be funny and appropriate if Perez thanked the formelly Pink Mercedes team for sacking him. His replacement Vettel still isn't setting the word on fire by failing to reach Q1, qualifying 13th, behind his team mate Stroll (10th). I wonder how long Aston Martin will be patient with him.

Bottas set the pace in Q1, which was his fastest time, being marginally slower in Q2 and 3, leaving him in 8th place.

Norris put in a blinder of a lap in Q3 with time of 1:14.454 only 0.043 s behind Hamilton. The time was however disallowed as he exceeded track limits. That time would have placed him third on the grid.

1/ Hamilton
2/ Perez
3/ Verstappen
4/ Leclerc
5/ Gasly
6/ Ricciardo
7/ Norris
8/ Bottas
9/ Ocon
10/ Stroll

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/races/1065/italy/qualifying.html

Should make a great race. So good to see Red Bull, McLaren and even Ferrari looking competitive. Bottas isn’t looking good for a seat next year at this rate.
Also

C419B148-E2B3-487B-92C7-A18485C9FCCA.jpeg

Looking like an exciting one, go Perez! Ric for P3!

SPOLIER ALERT - RACE RESULTS

1/ Verstappen - won by a big margin
2/ Hamilton - great recovery after an off
3/ Norris - great result
4/ Leclerc - Looks like Ferraris have improved from last year
5/ Sainz - managed 5th even though he visited the gravel traps twice
6/ Ricciardo
7/ Gasly - started on wets, which proved to cost him
8/ Stroll - received post race 5 second penalty - on his way to the grid he had a brake fire causing a panic pre race repairs
9/ Ocon
10/ Alonso - hit the wall on the out lap - Alonso scored his first point
11/ Perez
12 Tsunoda
13/ Raikkonen
14/ Giovonazzi
15/ Vettel - started from pit lane due to last minute brake repair following Strolls brake fire
16/ Schumacher
17/ Mazepin

DNF
Bottas
Russell
Latifi

Edit:- The race was red flagged after Bottas/Russell crash and restarted about 30 minutes later

Last edited:
I agree it was a great race, with Norris outstanding for me.
But Hamilton's "recovery" - what a farce - loses it through the sandpit and brushes the fence, spends at least a minute extracting himself, does a pit stop to replace the nose, and restarts in 9th place about 12 seconds behind Verstappen in the lead. Very lucky to have someone else's crash cause a red flag stoppage, somehow gets a lap back, and finishes second. That's where I don't like the safety car/red flag scenarios which alter the course of the race markedly. Hamilton second purely by luck, having the fastest car in the field makes it "easy" for him to make up positions from behind the second level players. Hmmff. :D :D

My meme didn’t age well 😂 Good job Max. Lando did awesome, hope Dan can extract a bit more out of the car as the season progresses.

Lewis recovery shows how good the Merc still is.

George’s Tantrum after trying to go around the outside of Bottas and off the dry line 🤣 self inflicted.

George’s Tantrum after trying to go around the outside of Bottas and off the dry line 🤣 self inflicted.

Bottas was on dry tyres, so his car may well have been moving around bit more than had he been on intermediates

Accident footage for benefit of those who have not seen it. Just listen to the revs rise when the Williams drops the right rear on the wet grass. Even I knew in karts that if you drop rear wheel on the grass and you don't come off the power thou shalt spin and we were doing nowhere near 280kmph

Last edited:
yeah, good race, much better than the usual 'procession' with the Mercs up front and the Bulls harassing them

Now if we can only get rid of the screaming moron "commentator" I'd be tempted to start watching F1 again on a regular basis

BP

Employ the mute function? Exhaust note on modern F1 isnt what it was in days of V10's anyway, so not losing out on much. :rolllaugh: 😁

I know what you mean though, I am not following F1 anywhere near as closely as I used to few years back and Super V8's even less so. I dont even know the new breed of drivers, the Red Bull drivers being the exception.

The F1 commentary just doesn't bother me, no different to most sports. Most of us remember Murray Walker fondly, in fact he was hero-worshipped in Australia, they didn't come much more excitable than Murray😲😲. Although it was hard to beat the 2 laconic pommy commentators doing MotoGP or was it Superbikes, I haven't watched either for a while.
Since I have had Kayo (half price Foxtel) I have been watching F1 regularly, and most of the Supercars. My favourite is TCR on FTA TV, and I hope it develops over the next few years.
Regarding the new breed in F1, besides Dan Ric, I have developed a liking for Lando Norris, probably since I saw a personal side of him during last year's Virtual Supercars championship, which he took part in, and I am pleased to see him really shining at the moment in F1.
Cheers.