F-1 on the way out?

Alan S

1000+ Posts
Looks like F-1 could go the same way as the Indy cars, WRC, Production car racing in Australia (V8 Supercars these days) and a couple of more & be run by either manufacturers (possibly the preferred option) or by spin doctors/marketing groups as some are.
Either way, it seems that it's in for a shake up. One way to bring Schumakers run to a halt I suppose. At the rate he's going, he'll be still winning in his "Mobility Scooter" when he's 95.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/041026/2/rdzj.html

Alan S

Sure wish you'd post something I could read...

But while we're there, V8 Supercars didn't grow out of Production car racing, they came from the old Appendix J... modified touring cars.

The lineage is:

Late 50s... anything goes, must look like the original and have the same engine.

Early 60s... Appendix J, must have original brakes and body too, no after-market cylinder heads.

Mid 60s... Improved Production Touring, rules tighten further.

1973... Tightened right up in an effort to ensure tintop racing included more local cars, Mustangs and Camaros on the outer. Simultaneously, Series Production class dropped because it led to manufacturer horsepower race and media flareups.

...and so it goes.

Ray,

You must have one real mean mother of a pop up blocker or something.
Can you access anything Yahoo? They usually have all kinds of stuff sliding across the screen and it must be something at your end that kills off the links.
I'm using Mozilla and have Norton installed and nobody else seems to be having a problem, so I can't figure it out.

Just out of curiosity, see if you can access this: http://au.yahoo.com/
News stories are bottom RHS; just curious. :confused: :confused:
With regards to the V8s etc, the point I was making was the way the various marketing agencies/spin doctor companies have taken over the running of motor sport.

Alan S

F1 has become way too boring in 2004. 2003 season still had some excitement and challenges in it. Can't entirely blame Ferrarri and Schumacher but it's a pity both McLaren and Williams were so far behind the game in 2004 that BAR and Renault make up the middle of the top 4 teams!

Renault has had previous experience so understandable that they have risen but BAR have just come leaps and bounds compared to last season.

Toyota should be attempting a similar strategy, so Williams and McLaren need to really pick their game up for 2005.

Doesn't help with Bernie just wants more money for everything. He must've made a packet over all these years. I am really looking forward to the GPWC series and hope the car manufacturers don't pussyfoot around anymore and just go ahead with it. Negotiating with SLEC is just a waste of time!

It'd be interesting if Michael Schumacher chucked a Rossi and changed to a less dominant team, thatw ould be interesting to watch MotoGP has been very exciting this year with Rossi in Yamaha. Unlike last year where Rossi got so bored he used to deliberately slow down so the rest of the field could catch up.

I'd love to see MS in Sauber or soemthing as I do believe the two teams have a close relationship.

This is very stupid, the rift between IRL and Indy cart has basically wrecked CART racing in the US with drivers, and cars spread across series and a mess of different standards between Indy and IRL. What is going to happen when F1 splits, I think this will do a lot of damage to the image F1 and not much good as well as creating a lot of mess and more bad drivers then good in the different series. I'm all for companies getting there money, but I don't think this is good for the drivers, competition or fans of the F1 format. Another case where people want money over sense, that is going to do more damage then good :nownow:

i think people need to realise sport should not = $$$ signs :disappr:

Last edited:
Originally posted by Alan S
Ray,

You must have one real mean mother of a pop up blocker or something.
Can you access anything Yahoo? They usually have all kinds of stuff sliding across the screen and it must be something at your end that kills off the links.
I'm using Mozilla and have Norton installed and nobody else seems to be having a problem, so I can't figure it out.....

It's a mean one all right... this is a computer I virtually haven't used before, and it allows popups immediately after start up.

But then somewhere along the way it stops it. Occasionally AVG finds the Trojan Horse virus and kills it off, occasionally the computer gets so slow I feel like chucking it out. Search doesn't work (start> search> in Win2000Pro)... it's a bit frustrating.

Yeah, you're right, the spin is incredible these days... even looking at subsequent posts to yours, there is spin coming through in some of them.

If anyone here has seen the Japenese cartoon 'initial d' I think they should have a duct tape death match to spice it up a bit.

I dont think there would be any danger of it becoming a indy-irl sort of split as initially the GPWC would hold all the cards. Ferrari, BMW, D-Chrysler and Renault leaving would leave formula 1 in a Formula ford state initially. Maybe in the long run, other manufacturers would enter (easier to win as 4 top manufacturers not there) and try to raise the profile of Formula one but i believe GPWC would kill Formula one off sooner rather than later as the vaccum of engine supply, technology expertise, sponsorship money and predictably drivers left by GPWC would be too big

I agree.

Daimler-Chrysler owns a majority share in McLaren (or close to it).

Same with BMW at Williams.

If these guys pull out of F1 (along with Renault) and form the GPWC, what will Ron and Frank do? Buy out the shares in their team? Or let someone else come in and take control?

Or join the GPWC themselves?

I can't imagine Fiat/Ferrari joining the GPWC without Michael Schumacher. After paying him millions upon millions over the past eight seasons.. they aren't going to let him race in a rival series.

Bernie is fooling himself if he thinks that he and a bunch of New-York bankers can play chicken with the manufacturers and win.

But, I think it will be a fitting end for Bernie. He's done some good things for the sport overall, but blimey he's let it go to his head over the past few years.

I hope F1 doesn't do a messy split, it's completely ruined the American open-wheel scene. Fortunately from what it sounds like, the main things that are in need of change are the back-room finance side of things, not so much a fundamental change to the way things are done like the "American Open-Wheeled Oval Vision" that Tony George used as his excuse to start the IRL.

That and the fact it's pretty much Bernie vs. Everyone Else.

choiboi said:
It'd be interesting if Michael Schumacher chucked a Rossi and changed to a less dominant team
Michael already did that, in 1996... Ferrari was pretty much a joke back then.

rek said:
Michael already did that, in 1996... Ferrari was pretty much a joke back then.

mind you they got Jean Todt as well in there

he was the mastermind behind pug back when they had the 205's and 405'd running

that man could just about turn anything around