EP6 engines

RINGER

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I have read up on the issues the early engines have especially related to timing chain stretch, oil use & carbon build up.

Obviously some on here have, & I have no experience on these engines can give advise please.

What, if any, fixes have been made regarding the timing chain issue?
Is for example an aftermarket kit with double row chain & gears.

Are any later model engines interchangeable?
What's involved with a diesel swap.

These seem to be nice vehicles that end up being crushed rather than repaired.

Wrecker engines are selling up to $2000 & probably as bad as the ones, folk are trying to fix issues on.

I think y'all understand what I'm asking & hopefully we can a learn from those in the know. JG.

The new chain kits are still single chains.

I have a 2010 turbo. The original chain and tensioner was dealer changed under warranty, without asking. No further problems. I don't burn oil - possibly a litre per yearly change, but usually less. I had to clean the ports at 55k or thereabouts - it was misfiring.

The car has had no mechanical or electrical work in 11 years except the clean, pads and discs, new tyres, one rear wheel bearing, headlight globes, spark plugs, one coil, and a front strut bearing. You can add in a change of mood lighting if that counts. That's not a poor record so far. I service it myself, though I am getting over crawling under small cars.

I expect the HP pump will be well worn now.

Current EP engines are improved.

I can't imagine any economical way to fit a diesel.

I changed the tensioner on my 2015 model because I had a bit of rattle at startup, but turned out it just needed a top up of oil. I did change it anyway because it's only $95 and might as well. The mechanic I had out said he has not done any chains on the T9 308's. There are other mechanics on here who will tell you they are not good engines. But, I think with good maintenance/oil there is no reason why you can't run them up to 200,000km without much issue. Supposedly they are much improved in the T9's and everything since. Peugeot are still using them in their current cars so how bad can they possibly be.

To be honest I've found a 2008 with just over 100,000km that looks really nice. Had milky oil so they put in a used engine & it is ready to be junked.

That I don't like & as an old school retired mechanic with time on my hands would love to rescue.

For years now I've rescued many Holden Astras - buying @ scrap price fitting new hubs, brakes, timing belts, tyres etc getting roadworthy & registering in a new owners name.

They get a great car with years of use for a fair non dealer inflated price.

Well the Astra's, Toyota's & Hyundai's are getting hard to find but Pugs seem to be popping up all over. Probably because mechanics in general don't want or need to work on them, they have more problems & parts availability or cost is an issue.

No one likes to be caught with their pants down & that is why I'm seeking input.

Thanks guys, John G.

Last edited:
Well the experts that have owned one or two cars may tell you differently but the original engines had the chain problems and intake port clogging the first change was the chain that has under gone a few revisions the chain that runs the oil holes is the one that seems the most long lasting. The second issue is the ports this can be helped with using a upper engine cleaner like the Subaru one every service before changing the oil seriously this shit kills oil but direct injection motors all have this and it's just normal now. Third the thermostat housings are a very common leak and mechanical failure just a straight out swap . Forth is the water pump any car that still has a plastic water pump hasn't had dealer recalls done and should be avoided. Fifth the rings and pistons the rings are low friction and prone to get softer and use oil as much as 5 litres in 10k the pistons can Crack and warp but this is normally due to the ports blocking and causing picking. 6 the bores are plated and not re honeable so any ring damage to the bore basically scraps the engine. 7 head gaskets are not really common but warped heads are a head can be milled flat but BMW sell over sized gaskets for this.8 the hp fuel pumps on early cars had two pistons that can go out of sync and cause misssfires. Yes the later cars are better but the hard issues still occur their are plenty of 3008s with heads off waiting on bits right now. And a diesel swap would only be financially viable if you had a crashed doner car because basically everything mechanical and electrical needs to swap over .
These engines like mild urban driving not full highway and not stop start

Frankly I bought a New 406 Diesel SW & it was the worse vehicle for 'ISSUES' I've ever owned. Lost 1/2 it's value in 2 years.

That is why I'm really skittish about newer model PUG's I suppose.

I don't touch VW & most other EU stuff.

John plenty of cheap 308s on the GC if you look through FB market place we picked up 2 and then used our cooked SW as the parts vehicle.

If you're quick I'll still have some parts left before it goes to the crusher.

I gave the sellers cheeky offers after no movement after 3 weeks.

The engine replacement procedure requires the front of car to be removed hence we resorted to picking up another vehicle rather than attempting on the roadside!

Have a good 4 speed auto but from memory all the cheap 308s on the GC had manual gearbox issues

Correct & I have facilities available for engine swaps but also like repairing rather than tossing, if economical & that is my major consideration. FB & PayPal I don't use.JG

Oh and 9. the oil leaks from various locations, turbo pipe, oil filter housing and cam shaft.....but we are all used to oil leaks on any engine. 10. valve cover replacement very common even on dealer serviced vehicles.

Finding a well serviced engine is the difficult part but keep an eye out for the N14 Cooper S as a good replacement. Same engine and same front of car removal required.

Frankly I bought a New 406 Diesel SW & it was the worse vehicle for 'ISSUES' I've ever owned. Lost 1/2 it's value in 2 years.

That is why I'm really skittish about newer model PUG's I suppose.

I don't touch VW & most other EU stuff.
What issues did you have

Oh and 9. the oil leaks from various locations, turbo pipe, oil filter housing and cam shaft.....but we are all used to oil leaks on any engine. 10. valve cover replacement very common even on dealer serviced vehicles.

Finding a well serviced engine is the difficult part but keep an eye out for the N14 Cooper S as a good replacement. Same engine and same front of car removal required.
Yeah good call the ptsd made me forget the oil pipes

What issues did you have
In the time I owned spent about 20% @ dealers. Cooling system & a/c primarily. Compressor failed just outside 12 month warranty.
Front & rear axles out of alignment caused bad tyre wear.
Super quick brake wearout.
Seats terribly uncomfortable especially on long drives.
Only thing I didn't mind was the ⛽ economy.

In the time I owned spent about 20% @ dealers. Cooling system & a/c primarily. Compressor failed just outside 12 month warranty.
Front & rear axles out of alignment caused bad tyre wear.
Super quick brake wearout.
Seats terribly uncomfortable especially on long drives.
Only thing I didn't mind was the ⛽ economy.
Wow you got a dud but 20% mmm 6 months at a dealer inchcape would have got involved at that stage

I have two Prince engines.

Build date - 2009 and 2013.

Between the years many revised parts were introduced. Sensors, cam chain & tensioner, turbo oil line, changes to the ERG, water pump, ABS Pump, turbo pop-off valve, and the dreaded carbon build up on the intake valves.

The 207 cc suffered the most of these. Now all fixed and as smooth as . . .

I have posted a popular post on the Carbon Buildup and how to mitigate it wth SA458. Search for it.

Still love the engine. BMW dropped it, but PSA persevered, with an occasion BMW high-tech head on some, like my RCZ THP200.

I have a 2013 508 with 1.6L Thp engine, watched plenty of mini n14 utubes on timing chain change and completed it myself last year with about 135,000km on the clock, without any problems.
At 150,000km oil filter housing gaskets needed changing and the turbo oil line replaced. Now changed most cam/crank/o2 sensors although I think old ones were still okay.
Air intake manifold is easy to remove and after closing valves scrubbed the carbon off a couple of times after a soak in Subaru upper engine cleaner and brake cleaner.
Just being challenged with a flutter around 3rd to 4th auto gear change and changing fuel filter next. Hoping it's not a transmission issue, as can't remember if oil ever changed.

Other than a gearbox concern and any specific fault codes (e.g. fuel pump pressure), you might check for wear in the turbo wastegate pivot. If it doesn't seal, it can affect the performance.
It's a good idea to change the oil after the valve clean.

Last edited:
Some confusion here - the original post was about the EP6 engines, and the comments relate to them. But Ringer is looking at a 2008. Should we be discussing the three pot EB range?

I bought a Peugeot 308 2005 2l Auto with 117000km from the crushers last week.
Fitted a H1 bulb, set of wiper blades, cleaned both the headlights & vacuumed out.
Got a safety certificate first go & registered. Nice little driver. Owes me about $2300. Rego/CTP is a killer & why good cars end up getting scrapped/crushed!
Codes: 0597 Unknown fault code & 0597 characteristic field controlled thermostat; open circuit? Runs between 70 ~ 80*C in very hot humid conditions. Seems a bit cold to me.
Any input appreciated.
20220402_085855.jpg20220402_085913.jpg20220402_085924.jpg20220402_090008.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a Peugeot 308 2005 2l Auto with 117000km from the crushers last week.
Fitted a H1 bulb, set of wiper blades, cleaned both the headlights & vacuumed out.
Got a safety certificate first go & registered. Nice little driver. Owes me about $2300. Rego/CTP is a killer & why good cars end up getting scrapped/crushed!
Codes: 0597 Unknown fault code & 0597 characteristic field controlled thermostat; open circuit? Runs between 70 ~ 80*C in very hot humid conditions. Seems a bit cold to me.
Any input appreciated.
View attachment 202958View attachment 202959View attachment 202960View attachment 202961
Perhaps this should be posted as a new thread - as it's not going to be much help hidden in a thread titled "EP6 engines".

It's also a 307, not a 308, but I'm sure that's just a typo :)

good save John, another pug kept on the road and away from the crusher!!
I was in Willawong yesterday and they had a row of 308 EP6, most had been ratted for the HPFP and turbos, all were complete with no panel damage, the SW had plastic over the windows so guess it would start to get out of economy mode to wind the windows up. So too difficult for most mechanics to handle and get sent to the crusher without a 2nd chance.

We have 2x 308s that were saved as the owners had no where to go when the dealers were no help