EOI - R8/10 Rear View Mirror part

Just an update. Not quite ready for orders yet! - been a few delays from the suppliers side.

This evening I went to view the first prototype as per the pics below. Annoyingly it was right on 5pm when I got there after work and the guy I needed to talk to re colours and cost had already left for the day. We are still aiming for as close a match to the original so ignore the colour of the prototype. I suspect the cost may be the issue though as the price indication is much more than originally indicated.

They confirmed they are likely to print it in ASA which they claim is both UV and temp resistant (95+C was quoted). They have test fitted it to my shell but we agreed we wouldn’t do that again until the final piece is ready for now, as I’m nervous of breaking my shell with too much trial and fit occurring.

KB

Attachments

• EB3882E8-A81D-4D8B-92DA-5D8419B0C0F8.jpeg
    EB3882E8-A81D-4D8B-92DA-5D8419B0C0F8.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 8D6BD402-6026-4D5E-8BC4-90B31133A73C.jpeg
    8D6BD402-6026-4D5E-8BC4-90B31133A73C.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 113
  • C5FF1CB2-3441-45B1-A8A1-35B290C08277.jpeg
    C5FF1CB2-3441-45B1-A8A1-35B290C08277.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 115
I bought a new one when we were in Gien France in 2012 and it has been on my Floride S ever since. Still looks new. Perhaps Bretagne Floride Caravelle Club may still sell them. Might have to be a member to buy them though.
I didn't know that! Well done Rob.

Just an update. Not quite ready for orders yet! - been a few delays from the suppliers side.

This evening I went to view the first prototype as per the pics below. Annoyingly it was right on 5pm when I got there after work and the guy I needed to talk to re colours and cost had already left for the day. We are still aiming for as close a match to the original so ignore the colour of the prototype. I suspect the cost may be the issue though as the price indication is much more than originally indicated.

They confirmed they are likely to print it in ASA which they claim is both UV and temp resistant (95+C was quoted). They have test fitted it to my shell but we agreed we wouldn’t do that again until the final piece is ready for now, as I’m nervous of breaking my shell with too much trial and fit occurring.

KB
That's great. How is ASA regarding temperature and thermal expansion? Needs to remain tight up to say 50-60 degrees if parked in the sun. I'll definitely take two of them.

And many thanks for going to the trouble of course!! :)

Well we are crawling further forward rather than walking briskly. This morning I went to pick up what I thought were to be the first two final prints. Alas, they are still fine tuning the process so the first two were rejects. Still it enabled me to see what the final colour (light grey) will look like against the shell colour - it is a bit lighter but not as dramatic as the attached pics imply in my opinion. You may also notice on the side view that there appears to be a bit of a dip that should not be there (along the mirror edge).

Once I get the first two printed, I will take some more detailed pics for people to see and install one in my car for testing. I can then feel more comfortable in setting a price and taking orders etc, so please be patient to those that have already expressed interest.

KB

Attachments

• 62065F70-CB40-431E-BAEF-EB2CD2FB8966.jpeg
    62065F70-CB40-431E-BAEF-EB2CD2FB8966.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 4DD87D0A-CB3B-4E40-B6D5-5B1C7D8E59EC.jpeg
    4DD87D0A-CB3B-4E40-B6D5-5B1C7D8E59EC.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 90
Well we are crawling further forward rather than walking briskly. This morning I went to pick up what I thought were to be the first two final prints. Alas, they are still fine tuning the process so the first two were rejects. Still it enabled me to see what the final colour (light grey) will look like against the shell colour - it is a bit lighter but not as dramatic as the attached pics imply in my opinion. You may also notice on the side view that there appears to be a bit of a dip that should not be there (along the mirror edge).

Once I get the first two printed, I will take some more detailed pics for people to see and install one in my car for testing. I can then feel more comfortable in setting a price and taking orders etc, so please be patient to those that have already expressed interest.

KB
Good on you Kevin. And thanks. These "one-offs" aren't simple are they?

So, I have the first 3 final prints.
I broke my backing shell getting it ready to put back on the car, before I tried fitting the mirror and ring onto it. These things are getting so fragile.

There is a chance the same thing could happen to you. I also have not been able to fit one and test it for temperature stability given it’s winter.

If you are willing to take the risk, I can offer these at $60 ea incl postage. If you send a PM with your real name, how many you want and postal address, and I will reply with bank account details for BSB. I will then place orders in batches and get them printed and sent to you. Bear in mind the printing and shipping will take at least a few weeks. They need to print them one at a time to get the best results.

Ps, if anyone has a spare shell let me know otherwise I’ll have to go with plan B.

Here is a pic of the final results.

Attachments

• IMG_2018.jpeg
    IMG_2018.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 72
So, I have the first 3 final prints.
I broke my backing shell getting it ready to put back on the car, before I tried fitting the mirror and ring onto it. These things are getting so fragile.

There is a chance the same thing could happen to you. I also have not been able to fit one and test it for temperature stability given it’s winter.

If you are willing to take the risk, I can offer these at $60 ea incl postage. If you send a PM with your real name, how many you want and postal address, and I will reply with bank account details for BSB. I will then place orders in batches and get them printed and sent to you. Bear in mind the printing and shipping will take at least a few weeks. They need to print them one at a time to get the best results.

Ps, if anyone has a spare shell let me know otherwise I’ll have to go with plan B.

Here is a pic of the final results.
Ah, I was about to ask whether YOU had a spare shell..... Eek. I'll have to have a deep dive into that cupboard and a drawer or two......

I'll email separately.

The first two trims were posted out last week, and the first one arrived yesterday.
From here on, I’d need to receive firm orders & payment before getting more printed to send out if any further interest from the earlier EOI’s.

Cheers
Kevin

The first two trims were posted out last week, and the first one arrived yesterday.
From here on, I’d need to receive firm orders & payment before getting more printed to send out if any further interest from the earlier EOI’s.

Cheers
Kevin
More than fair Kevin. My cupboard seems to have swallowed my spare mirror. Very strange. I suspect I've put it somwhere else.

Hi R8&10.
I will take one for my 8G, thanks.
Could you PM me your bank details.
I will have a search for a second mirror assembly I think I have
somewhere in my stash.

I’m confirming costs with the supplier for another FINAL print run - just need to confirm they haven’t changed Price. If they haven’t, then it will still be $60 posted.

We have since found out that these surrounds will also suit the earlier style of R8 mirror, IF you get a new mirror/glass piece cut. Otherwise they will fit, but will not be a perfect fit in the bottom corners. JohnW can perhaps post pics on here to show that.

they were designed for the latter style of mirror has per the pics on P1. Here is a pic of mine installed on a latter type shell.

This is the final run, I will not be organising another run after this one.

Attachments

• IMG_2112.jpeg
    IMG_2112.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2113.jpeg
    IMG_2113.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 39
Interesting. But fairly certain this does not suit R8/10 as you say.
Maybe they might see the market need and expand to 8&10 in future. It would be even better if someone manufactured and supplied the whole assembly as the shells are the equally fragile with age and sun damage.

As requested Kevin!

Here is the slight change to mirror shape that is needed to accomodate the new 3D-printed surround perfectly. The new mirror needs to be glued to the old one as the new surround is purely cosmetic for this earlier shaped mirror system. So the original mirror may already be glued to the base (since the surround will probably have failed!) and the new glued onto that!

You can get the template by fitting the new surround to the mirror base and tracing around carefully onto card (say manilla folder firmness) and then drawing a line 2.5 mm inside the outer trace. Cut to that and the new surround will fit perfectly. And you can check that by fitting the surround to the template. Then take the template to a glass place and get a new mirror EXACTLY to the template ($50 was what I was charged.

Attachments

• Slight corner change to fit new surround sml.jpg
    Slight corner change to fit new surround sml.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: COL
So the price is confirmed as $60 incl postage.

This will be your last chance to order, so if interested PM me with how many you want and I’ll send bank details for payment.
it will take probably a month to supply I’m guessing based on past experiences with the company doing the printing.

KB

I’m closing orders off as of 5pm Sunday.

i will be placing an order for 6 surrounds next week.

i will not be doing any more orders following this last print run.

Many Thanks
Kevin