Engine oil for the 504

Doush_504

Fellow Frogger
G'day everyone
My 504 2L petrol is due for an oil change soon and I am a bit confused. It is currently running on Mobil 1 5w-50 (fully synthetic). I am leaning towards Mobil 1 0w-40 or Castrol Edge 5w-40 there is also Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 but I prefer the Mobil 0w-40(which we currently use in the 406 with great results) & Catrol.
I know the recommended for the 504 is 10w-40 but this is only available in Shell Helix Plus and Castrol Magnatec (which is currently doing fine in the 505) but both these oils are SEMI synthetics and I prefer fully synthetic.
One last thing, about the intervals, should I change at 10k or stay till 15k ? I was going for the 1st option but maybe I am mistaken.
So, any ideas ? :)
Thanks.

If it were me i'd go something a little thicker, but it's all relative to the age and condition of the engine.

What sort of distance has the engine done? The thinner the oil, the likely its is to burn in an older motor (slip between old rings, valve guides etc)

Chris

Hi,

I have run Mobil 1 5-50 for 26 years in the same motor. It had been reconditioned and had c.50,000kms on it when I started. It has now completed a further 500,000+kms. The motor has not been touched and is extremely reliable.

Oil changes have taken place at c. 3 months or 10,000kns. The longest distance between oil changes was 13,500 kms.

I have tried other, thicker, oils. The car did not start as well with these thicker oils, did not rev as well and felt heavy in its response from the engine.

With slower driving conditions in built up areas I now change the oil filter every time.

Mobil 1 5-50 would appear to me to be the best investment that I have made for my car's engine.

Good luck.

Fred

If it were me i'd go something a little thicker, but it's all relative to the age and condition of the engine.

What sort of distance has the engine done? The thinner the oil, the likely its is to burn in an older motor (slip between old rings, valve guides etc)

Chris
Thicker than 5w-50 ??
It's a 1982 model and the engine has 229k, it's in good shape and uses around 100 ml of oil per 1000 km (the owner's manual says 500ml/1000km is OK).

Hi,

I have run Mobil 1 5-50 for 26 years in the same motor. It had been reconditioned and had c.50,000kms on it when I started. It has now completed a further 500,000+kms. The motor has not been touched and is extremely reliable.

Oil changes have taken place at c. 3 months or 10,000kns. The longest distance between oil changes was 13,500 kms.

I have tried other, thicker, oils. The car did not start as well with these thicker oils, did not rev as well and felt heavy in its response from the engine.

With slower driving conditions in built up areas I now change the oil filter every time.

Mobil 1 5-50 would appear to me to be the best investment that I have made for my car's engine.

Good luck.

Fred
I would never think of going heavier but I was willing to go lighter. I think the 3 month interval is impossible for me as the car does 7k per year so around 1.5-2 k per 3 months. I was also thinking that 15k would be too long for an old car and btw I change the filter every time.

Thanks Chris and Fred for the feedback.
More opinions & experiences are much appreciated :)

a 5 weight in a 70s engine...in the aussie climate... :crazy:

:cheers:

dino

ps...chris is right....

dino

ps...chris is right....

Agreed, 10w40 at an absolute minimum I would have thought and preferably 20w50.

dino

ps...chris is right....

i would have thought either a 10/40 or a 20/40 in a 504 tractor engine

in saying that though, Dino don't run that in the PRV6 now will you :D, a good 10/40 is what they need and nothing else

dino

ps...chris is right....
The 5 weight is the least available in fully synthetic, either 5w50 or 5w40 :confused:

Agreed, 10w40 at an absolute minimum I would have thought and preferably 20w50.
The car used to run on 20w50 mineral oil for years and years until I decided I wanted to go synthetic , so the next step was to try the semi synthetic (Shell Helix plus 10w40) and see how the car reacts to it. I gave it a try and it was absolutely amazing, I immediately felt the difference, better startup in the morning and the car was more willing to rev. This encouraged me to take a step further and go fully synthetic and it was worth it. However I feel the 10w40 was lighter than the 5w50 that's why I wanted to try the 5w40

i would have thought either a 10/40 or a 20/40 in a 504 tractor engine

in saying that though, Dino don't run that in the PRV6 now will you :D, a good 10/40 is what they need and nothing else
We have no 20w40. Either 20w50 (mineral) or 10w40 (semi synth.) but the thing is I feel this would be a step back after using synthetic

The 5 weight is the least available in fully synthetic, either 5w50 or 5w40 :confused:

The car used to run on 20w50 mineral oil for years and years until I decided I wanted to go synthetic , so the next step was to try the semi synthetic (Shell Helix plus 10w40) and see how the car reacts to it. I gave it a try and it was absolutely amazing, I immediately felt the difference, better startup in the morning and the car was more willing to rev. This encouraged me to take a step further and go fully synthetic and it was worth it. However I feel the 10w40 was lighter than the 5w50 that's why I wanted to try the 5w40

We have no 20w40. Either 20w50 (mineral) or 10w40 (semi synth.) but the thing is I feel this would be a step back after using synthetic

You'll always find a new batch of oil will feel much nicer, particularly in a 504 engine after 10,000km. Part of it is the feelgood factor at work, my steering always feels nicer after an oil and filter change even though it has nothing to do with the steering.

The 504 engine was manufactured when the tolerances that today's engines have were unheard of. 0w and 5w will give you lower oil pressure at startup then what the engine has been designed for. Semi vs fully synthetic has been diluted (pardon the pun) by marketing types, a good semi-synthetic 10w-40 every 5,000km would be as much as you need.

I am willing to make a bet that a 5w40 in a 504 would use about 1l every 300-500 kays....

thrashed...it would empty the sump in less than half a K...

:wink2:

I d be trying the 10W50 from elf if you must use synthetic...'tis whats in the PRV at the moment...even though its light years ahead...

dino