engine change

Directed to DavE

I guess you have seen this conversion done before, How does it turn out.

Will I notice a difference between a factory 2.0 504 and my 504 with the 505 engine?

Or will it be like a regular pug 504? :)

82' 505 and Crusin':
Directed to DavE

I guess you have seen this conversion done before, How does it turn out.

Will I notice a difference between a factory 2.0 504 and my 504 with the 505 engine?

Or will it be like a regular pug 504? :)
We'll, actually 1979 onwards 504s had the same engine as the 505 (and Euro 504s from 1975 had the same head), so I've seen a few different permutations of the various types of setups ina 504. I've fitted Weber carbs to a few 504s/404s.

It's hard to say if you'll notice any difference because every engine varies. If your 505 engine is in as good or better condition as your 504 engine, then you should notice a slight power and torque improvemnt over the ealry 504 engine, particularly if you use the Weber and have it tuned well on a chassis dyno. If you don't have the money to get it tuned on a dyno, then standard Ford jets usuually work OK on a standard 504 or 505 engine (usually 140 main jets on both throats and 160 air corrector jets on both throats). One guy in the Vic club wrote an article about fitting a Weber to his 504. He used a CO meter to tune his carb and used a 145 jet on the first throat with a 155 air corrector and a 150 jet on the second throat with a 150 air corrector. On my friends automatic 504 with 8.8:1 pistons we used a 140 jet in the first throat and a 145 in the second (it has a Holley copy of a Weber). Any less than this and I think it would start pinking. Personally with the 505 engine, as a starting point I'd be inclined to use a 140 or 145 in the first throat and a 160 in the second throat. The standard 160 air correctors should be fine as a starting point. A smaller air corrector will richen the top half of the rev range, a larger one will do the opposite. Dropping three sizes (e.g. 160 to 145) in an air corrector richens the mixture in the top half of the rev range by approximately the same amount as going up one size in the main jet (0.05mm, e.g 140 to 145).

Chances are wou will notice a performance improvement, but I'm not prepared to guarantee it, because there are so many variables that affect the performance of engines compared with each other. Some just turn out to be Gems, while others are dogs. I don't think Pug engines vary as much as some others, but they do vary.

Dave

well i have done this swap and started it up today.

It started first go but it was blowing a little smoke. I had it running for about 5 min. I then checked the water and to my dissapointment, the water was foamy :( :(

The engine was good and had been tuned before it was removed from the 505.

What does this mean?