Electric supercharger anyone???

DoubleChevron

Real cars have hydraulics
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi Guys,

noticed this on one of the bulletin boards. Dunno if it works at all, but the principles it's trying to operate on are sound

<a href="http://www.electricsupercharger.com/" target="_blank">Electric supercharger</a>

An easy way of getting a little more power out of our old classics ( dance dance dance ), without having to resort to doing nasty non-original type things to them??? Basicly it could easily be fitted & removed without affecting the originality of the car!

Wonder if they work :confused: :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.

Doesn't sound too bad and their claims of 5-10hp seem to be within the realms of possibility....

<a href="http://www.electricsupercharger.com/www-electricsupercharger-com/images/eramvideo.mpg" target="_blank">video demo</a> (300k or so)
________
Bongs

Last edited:
hmmm

looks dodgy

lets think bout this for the moment

700 watts - at 14.4v ~roughly
is 48.6 amps

48 amp 3.5" fans sound kinda dodgy
spesh since the fan design ( you can see it on the installation page, on a honda ) isnt conducive to compressing air.

sounds like a turbo zet to me

i think the proof is in the pudding when they talk about a toyota MR2 running 16 pounds of boost, and the "eRam" giving extra horsepower then, surely the fan would just add a restriction, rather than compress the air more

Hmm,

I was thinking it's probably a model aircraft engine running an impellar. If it was going to work I'd imagine it'd be on an old low capicity car in low tune. Yet they dyno them on racing porches & stuff... Really if they tried them on some 'real' cars they'd have a much bigger market. I had a quick read, the don't claim it's pressuring the intake air much, rather just changing the intake box from being under negative pressure (which it probably usualy is) to being at about 1/2psi... Strange, pity someone doesn't buy one and try it on an old 2litre carby 4cylinder. And no, I don't have 'sucker' written all over my head, I'd need mmmmuuuuuccccchhhh documented proof from an independant lab before I'd even consider it :D

seeya,
Shane L.

Hey guys,

that magazine/website 'autospeed' ran a thing on them a while back- they are to put it mildly - a joke.T

he power needed to have a fan to push enough air to make a difference would suck WAY too much power from the motor- this is assuming it's the same setup as that 'turbo zet' gizmo....

Cheers Ben

It is an interesting concept, but I am sure you could do just as well with a good free flow air filter system, and careful placement so you get cool air in in the first place (even they admit that you can get quite a rise from cooler intake air!).

And the price seems more than a bit steep for what is basically a glorified fan! :( Not in the same class as a real super/turbo-charger, either for engineering or results. wink

Paul (who would not mind a supercharged DS21, preferably 5 speed! :D )